It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User
Teeth extraction and dentures

Having 18 teeth extracted next week and not get dentures for 2-3 months. Has anyone had this experience and what can I expect? Please help!! I am a nervous wreck!!!

Last edited by Mamabear123; 06-15-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Add info

The following user gives a hug of support to Mamabear123:
DecembersRain (06-18-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
(female)

Luvs2ShopAlot HB User
Re: Teeth extraction and dentures

I had five teeth out a few weeks ago. They gave me a temp plate right then. Unfortunately I had complications BUT most people have no problems and feel and look so much better. I can't wear my plate yet but I think I will be able to in another week or two. I will get my permanent one at the end of one year.

Best wishes. I hope you are being knocked out for your extractions. I was awake and they used Novocaine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

Thanks for your input. I am having general antiseptic for these 18 teeth, couldn't do it without! I'm just worried about going toothless for 2-3 months. I am retired and don't work, but talking, eating etc. are worrying me. How did it go for you?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
(female)

DecembersRain HB User

I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing Mamabear! Perhaps we could be terrified together..lol!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

Decembersrain,
Thanks, I guess I'm not alone! Im 'freaking out'!!! But still are u going toothless for any period of time? Not looking forward to this on Thursday. How will I eat, talk and simply go anywhere for two toothless months?? TERRIFIED!!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
(female)

DecembersRain HB User

Glad I helped you realize you are definitely not alone! I too, am going to have to go toothless for about two months due to insurance issues. I have a very loving and understanding partner whom I know will be 100% by my side in this, but I am still freaked out pretty bad at the whole waiting period. I have the same exact fears as you do. I know I'll be subjected to a fairly mushy diet for a while which I am NOT looking forward too, not to mention the whole speech thing...also, I never thought myself vain in any way, but the thought of being completely toothless for two months is very unnerving for me. I am retired, so I won't have to deal with work, but I still think about the simplest of things such as going to the grocery store and what not. I am terrified of what I will look like! I always figured that this wouldn't be an issue till I was at least in my 60's or so...
I wish you all the luck in the world Mamabear, and if ya need a friend to chat with, cry with, or whatever..I'll gladly lend an ear!

p.s.
(getting my extractions on Monday)

Last edited by DecembersRain; 06-19-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
(male)

James531 HB User

Don't be worry Go for the well-acclaimed dental surgeon in your city.Also,disscuss the dental implants which are perfect solution for various dental problems like yours

The Following User Says Thank You to James531 For This Useful Post:
DecembersRain (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

Thanks DecemberRain, I am having the same issues as you do. This has been a long time coming for me. I too am retired but just the thought of what I will look like scares the heck outta me. My adult son lives next door to me which is comforting but my 2 granddaughters (age 8 &12) tease me all the time and they can't wait too see me like that. I hope they don't make me laugh too much. My sons are paying for the whole procedure and dentures! Tomorrow is the big day! YIKES!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

DecembersRain HB User

Yep, same here..my teeth have been bad for a long time too. I think your granddaughters will most likely be your best medicine! I'm still terrified about my looks too, just can't seem to shake that one just yet but I know it's for the best. Sounds like you have a pretty good support team and that is definitely a very good thing. Wow! Tomorrow huh? Well, you have my best wishes that's for sure!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

DecembersRain, Yes, I do have a great support team which goes a long way for healing, right? The talking issue is what been bugging me. I can't imagine what I'm gonna sound like. I'm not a vain person but its interesting to have a new voice at my age (59). I'll let u know how it goes. My appt is tomorrow at 11:30AM. So I will look, sound so different. Just hope dentures work out and pose no problems. I have heard horror stories about ill fitting dentures. Talk to u tomorrow and good luck to you!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
(female)

DecembersRain HB User

Good luck to you Mamabear, I hope everything goes as smooth as possible for you and I'll be looking forward to hearing how you're doing when you're ready. I'm afraid nobody will understand a thing I say for a while, but maybe that will be a blessing in disguise..lol! I've heard my share of horror stories as well, but I'm keeping an open mind. This place has helped me a lot, the things you can find on the internent!! Anyway, I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the very best!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

It seems everyone wants to cast dentures and unfortunately denture wearers in a bad light. You really only hear a few negative stories and most of the time those telling the story are not denture wearers or have serious dental issues themselves. For the vast majority of people who get dentures they do quite well. After all you are not replacing healthy teeth and gums with fake ones. While dentures are not perfect, they can be a very good compromise.

I have no experience with the waiting game as I got mine the day of extraction but from what I have read about others who have had to wait, it goes by quickly and most of the time those who wait get a superior fit when they do have their dentures placed.

Just take it one day at a time! Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandybeech For This Useful Post:
DecembersRain (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

DecembersRain and all who sent their good wishes, A BIG THANK YOU! it's been about 4 hours since all 18 teeth were extracted. It feels so weird but not as bad as I thought. Yes, very painful and stitches are driving me crazy! But thanks to pain meds and lots of support, I'm getting through it. Speech is fairly okay except certain letters; like 's' and 'f'. My jaws are hurting as well as my mouth. But all in all it went well. Just hope my gums heal properly and dentures fit well. Thanks to those who advised me abt dentures; guess the majority of those who have them have no big complaints.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mamabear123:
DecembersRain (06-21-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
(female)

DecembersRain HB User

Glad to hear all went well for you Mamabear! Did you have much swelling or bruising?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
(female)

Mamabear123 HB User

DecemberRain and all for your well wishes. It's been two days since 18 extractions and having a good deal of pain. Medication helps for a bit but it comes back quickly. Make sure you take pain pills before pain sets in. Today most of the pain is in my jawbones. Stitches are driving me crazy and speech is t too bad. My 'S's are lispy. But all in all things went well. The only thing is eating! There is so much of yogurt, pudding, smoothies I can take. Can't wait til I can eat a real meal! But is gonna be a while.

Reply Reply