It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

brandycaz4ever HB User
Unhappy Dental Flipper

I have had to have my front tooth removed which had a crown on it due to an accident that happened some weeks ago. The tooth was removed yesterday and the dentist immediately tried to fit a flipper in my mouth (upper) at first it was fine but probably because I was so numb from having had the tooth out. It was very tight and even the dentist commented on this when I tried to bite down it hit my lower jaw and made me start gagging the dentist said this was because it didn't fit right and he would need to adjust it. I asked him to remove it and said I would go back next week when the extraction had healed and I could cope with this better. The flipper has on it the missing front tooth until a bridge is done plus a molar each side which I lost sometime ago. I believe you cant eat with a flipper so does this mean I have to take it out each time I have food, if so how do I cope with this at work? would it not have been better just to have a flipper with the front tooth on it so I could still eat?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Dental Flipper

What exactly is a flipper? How does it stay attached? I've got several teeth missing and waiting for implants and was not even offered anything to take up the space.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
(female)

brandycaz4ever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
What exactly is a flipper? How does it stay attached? I've got several teeth missing and waiting for implants and was not even offered anything to take up the space.
A flipper is false teeth on a plate that sits on the roof of your mouth and grasps the other teeth behind to stay in place. It is a temporary measure and is for cosmetic purposes only.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
(female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

but if made correctly, you can eat with one as are usually made with same type of acrylic dentures are. no metal framewark though, so aren't meant to be permiment.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
(male)

pluma443 HB User

Quote:
I have no idea what a flipper is either. I just had 2 implants lower left to replace 2 back teeth that were extracted some years ago. The implants are in and will fuse to the bone during the next 3 months, but I was never offered a "flipper" what is it?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
(male)

pluma443 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandycaz4ever View Post
A flipper is false teeth on a plate that sits on the roof of your mouth and grasps the other teeth behind to stay in place. It is a temporary measure and is for cosmetic purposes only.
Ohh ! Ok. I doubt that I would want a flipper anyway if it serves no other purpose than cosmetic. Thank's for the info.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
(female)

whitekittycat HB User

A Flipper is a temporary acylic partial with clasps on each side of the tooth or teeth
hooked to your permanent teeth--until you can get a Bridge 0r Implants or? to replace teeth that have been extracted.
Very uncomfortable--I can't eat with mine--so have to forego going out to lunch etc.
Wish i had not been offered one--cost was $525.00 for 3 temporary acylic teeth
while waiting for my gums to heal for a more permanent solution.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the information. I guess it wasn't offered to me because the empty space (awaiting implants) is in the back and no one can see it. If the flipper isn't functional for eating I wouldn't need it. If it was to take the space of a tooth missing in the front, then I'd consider it even if I couldn't chew with it.
Whitekittycat, can't you go out to lunch anyways, and find something soft to eat?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
(female)

SanDee315 HB User

Hi taape, If they do not fit properly make sure your dentist fixes it.. you should be able to eat with it in.. if to big the partials can really mess you up, I am dealing with what I call dental damage. Good Luck

Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the information. I don't think I'll be getting a flipper, the space is in the back of my mouth where no one can see. I just wish there was something functional for eating sooner while waiting for implants.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
(female)

whitekittycat HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I guess it wasn't offered to me because the empty space (awaiting implants) is in the back and no one can see it. If the flipper isn't functional for eating I wouldn't need it. If it was to take the space of a tooth missing in the front, then I'd consider it even if I couldn't chew with it.
Whitekittycat, can't you go out to lunch anyways, and find something soft to eat?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
(female)

whitekittycat HB User

Cosmetically--my mouth looks awful without the Flipper. Quite a space
between the 2 eye teeth where the 4 teeth were pulled.
I am finally healed and starting on the next procedure--a Bridge with a Crown at each end.
And even that will have a temporary solution while the real Bridge is constructed.
But supposedly you can eat with it--as it will be cemented on temporarly until
the real Bridge is put on. But at least I will not have to fool with the Flipper
anymore.
The Dentist starts the procedure next week.
No more Flippers for me! The fit was loose and tight at the same time.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had 2 bridges and both failed. The teeth with the crown on either end didn't need a crown to begin with. Then there was constant decay underneath the bridge no matter how often I brushed my teeth.

I didn't want implants but here I am having to get them anyways after two failed bridges. I would really think hard before getting a bridge. If anything goes wrong, the whole thing has to be taken out. I did that and paid alot of money twice.

I don't mean to say your decision is wrong but I'd never get a bridge again. It's set up so it's hard to keep clean. Put pressure on the end teeth. The infection I got was below the tooth root so I was lucky the dentist was able to fill it in and it didn't go down even further into my jaw. All of that is gone since the two end, anchor teeth have been pulled and bone grafting done.

Think about your options for long term.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
(female)

whitekittycat HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I don't think I'll be getting a flipper, the space is in the back of my mouth where no one can see. I just wish there was something functional for eating sooner while waiting for implants.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
(female)

whitekittycat HB User

There IS! It is called an Essix Splint.
They say you can eat with it. Look it up on your computer. It is supposed to be sturdier than the Flipper.

Reply Reply