It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Tips Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

Solitas HB User
Talking There is hope for Depression, my story and the techniques I used to reach contentment

It is possible to reduce the power of depression. Here is some of my story. I was a very obese kid growing up, and also extremely intelligent. I didn't get a long with my peers very well and was often outcasted. Most of highschool I didn't have a very active social life. My mother was an OCD neat freak and she also made me afraid to go out in the world. Her fears became my fears and I became afraid of the world. My grandmother lived with us and she was emotionally abusive. My mother and step-father were in constant yelling matches with us and eachother. Losing weight is hard and my home is filled with bad food. It was an awful time. I was so depressed I slit my wrists and needed a blood transfusion. I also hung myself and broke the branch. I also overdosed on meds. Needless to say I survived each attempt. I didn't get my drivers license until I was 20 because I was afraid. I was a mess, a real mess. I was working a dead end job, making minimum wage and riding a bike to dead end job and living with my mother

The change was small and gradual at first. I started going to the gym three times a week for an hour. Then I started dieting. I lost weight. I've yoyoed but I'm 100lbs less right now than when I was big. I had flunked out of high-school. I went back to Adult Ed. Then I went to a community college to take remedial course. I got into a good college. I'm a year away from getting my baccalaureatte in nursing. Most of the time I was depressed when I did this....because I was still friendless and I didn't have emotional support.

A change then happened two years ago. I begin meditating and imagining a warm loving light around me. Those voices in my head that said,"you're stupid." I didn't hate them back or fight them. Instead, I just used an imaginary technique and told them they were wrong and I love them and I love myself. I also started to consciously make an effort to find things I liked about myself and my life. Little things like how I liked my smile, and I was happy to have such a great computer. Lots of positive self-talk on my life and my circumstances. After a while I learned to love myself. Anyone, who was negative I avoided like the plague. These inner changes eventually manifested itself to where I was able to show love to other people. There isn't anymore "fighting" with depression because for me the war is over. I cling onto positive thoughts.

Look I don't know where my life is going. Sometimes I get downright depressed because I'm single. Sometimes I feel disheartened and tired. I still haven't reached my fitness or academic goals. Depression comes sometimes but not as much as it used to. I'm not super depressed anymore...no suicidal urgings or anything. For the most part I'm content. I can live with content, much better than depressed. I've been this way for two years now. Its possible to end the cycle of pain by learning to accept yourself who you are, and looking at the positive aspects of life, and avoiding negative and unhappy people. Relapse and remission is forever unavoidable but it can be minimized and the triggers that make it occur can be removed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Solitas; 02-24-2007 at 08:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Solitas For This Useful Post:
Rikou C (09-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
(male)

hastrix HB User
Re: There is hope for Depression, my story and the techniques I used to reach content

Hello Solitas: Good for you!

You've discovered on your own a very effective way of handling depression; it's called "cognitive therapy;" Cognitive therapy teaches us to identify and reject the negative thoughts that lead to and sustain depression while replacing the negative thoughts with realistically positive thoughts.

If you want to improve your success with this therapy, read "FEELING GOOD; THE NEW MOOD THERAPY." The author's last name is Burns.

Another effective mood therapy is the FULL-SPECTRUM LIGHT BULB; it's a light bulb that is like natural sunlight (if you buy one, make sure the light bulb does NOT emit ultraviolet light). Surf the net for Full-spectrum light bulbs and lamps.

Good luck!

Last edited by hastrix; 02-25-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: to increase clarity and add details

Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: There is hope for Depression, my story and the techniques I used to reach content

Wow, Solitas, you have accomplished so much! Congrats, congrats, congrats!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Congratulations on beating depression!

I have done similarly to you; I'm off all meds over a year as well. I found it really comes down to DOING something positive in your life if you don't like the way things are. I didn't like being alone, so I joined an online dating site, and I had a lot of dates and actually met the man who is now my husband (we've been married over 2 years). In your case, working on your degree and exercising are both positive steps. I also exercise regularly because I find it helps with my mood. I started gardening because I really enjoy doing that, and it is so wonderful to see plants growing and flowers blooming.

It really is about changing the way you are thinking. I realized one day that I was so negative about everything. I never had anything positive to say or think about anything. I started trying really hard to find the positives in situations. I made a pact with myself that if I didn't have anything positive to say, I wouldn't say anything at all. This first led to long silences in the car when driving places with my husband but slowly, I started finding positive things to comment on: the clouds, the sunset, the moon, the deer grazing off the road, the flowers, that it felt good to be getting out of the house, etc., etc. Even after seeing bad movies now, my first comment usually is, "It was nice to get out and go to the movies, anyway!"

Congrats to you!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Excellent. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
(female)

CSense HB User

Congratulations! You're my inspiration.

Closed Thread