It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Tips Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: If you are fighting depression - Try this test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_Skye View Post
SOE--that's what i was basically getting at!
I have noticed that we often think alike.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
(female)

dizzy45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor View Post

It's hard for me to respond to posts that claim to have the cure for depression.

Like you, I have been fighting depression most of my life. I had to give up on ADs 3 years ago -- but that's another story (and no, they didn't work for me). I can't tell you how tempted I am at times to just give up and go back on them, just to not "feel" anymore, but I know that's not a real answer for me.

I wish there was a cure. There are things that help, but can we truly be rid of it forever?

If it were as simple as a hot water bottle, or mind over matter, would we all be posting on a depression board?
Have you tried my test? Try it, like I did that morning on the train with my black feather, that was delivered to me 2 days later. I can't describe how I felt when I saw it but it makes me believe that I can have anything I want, I just have to ask.

You said in one post that you think alike with someone else. I have just opened a book which is all about what I have been talking about, which I use as my "bible" and refer to it whever I go. On the very page that I opened it on just now it says and I quote: "The law of attraction says that like attracts like, so when you think a thought, you are also attracting like thoughts to you". So there you see it is working for you already, you just didn't realise it.

Charles Haanel, an Author and American businessman born in the 1800's also knew and quoted the above fact.

I am not a religious person, but even in the real bible it states:
"What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them" Mark 11.24

If more people realised this huge power that already exists within them and learnt how to use it to its full potential, I bet your bottom dollar there will be less postings on this board.
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

so, dizzy, the book you are reading from all this, is The Secret, isn't it? i've seen the film actually, and in my opinion, there wasn't anything "new" in there that i didn't read or heard about before... it was a collection of information from past books and writings about "attraction" and the universe, and all of its tenets basically lie on some theological foundation... at least that's how it all comes across...ask, believe and you shall receive...some people of this belief system talk about using a "vision board"--like in a poster board or similar, on which people can tack on a picture of what they really want, or a goal or something...and to surround oneself with positive people. the vision board is supposed to help the person in getting that which they desire much quicker...basically, like you said, to envision oneself not only saying/asking for it, but already having it.

in any case, this "secret" is not at all a secret, as the producers of the show have put it, since, like i've said before, i've seen (and i'm sure others have) and read books espousing similar ideas. think of wayne dyer as an ex.--he talks about the "universal force," and attraction, etc.... however, i do think the secret has its good points--i.e., think of good, positive things, and surround yourself with good, positive people. but, on the visualization part and on getting that which you desire to really MANIFEST on your doorstep...that is pretty "steep." why don't we all collectively think and really desire away (and really believe it has already happened) world hunger and poverty, for example (instead of wishing for a brand new car); or, if i may be selfish enough here, maybe i can think hard enough and long enough, and believe strong enough, so that the universe will actually manifest russell crowe or joaquin phoenix on my doorstep when i get home from work, dead-tired one evening? hmmmm.

dizzy--i don't mean to make light of something that is working for you. and i am sorry if i come across that way. it's just that i've had this depression for most of my life here, and i've tried everything possible, and over the years it's only gotten worse. however, i do wish for everyone out there that whatever path they choose and whatever they try to combat the ugliness of this disease-- it will lead them to success and to some peace of mind/soul.

fondly,
dakota

Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #19
(female)

dizzy45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_Skye View Post
so, dizzy, the book you are reading from all this, is The Secret, isn't it? i've seen the film actually, and in my opinion, there wasn't anything "new" in there that i didn't read or heard about before... it was a collection of information from past books and writings about "attraction" and the universe, and all of its tenets basically lie on some theological foundation... at least that's how it all comes across...ask, believe and you shall receive...some people of this belief system talk about using a "vision board"--like in a poster board or similar, on which people can tack on a picture of what they really want, or a goal or something...and to surround oneself with positive people. the vision board is supposed to help the person in getting that which they desire much quicker...basically, like you said, to envision oneself not only saying/asking for it, but already having it.

in any case, this "secret" is not at all a secret, as the producers of the show have put it, since, like i've said before, i've seen (and i'm sure others have) and read books espousing similar ideas. think of wayne dyer as an ex.--he talks about the "universal force," and attraction, etc.... however, i do think the secret has its good points--i.e., think of good, positive things, and surround yourself with good, positive people. but, on the visualization part and on getting that which you desire to really MANIFEST on your doorstep...that is pretty "steep." why don't we all collectively think and really desire away (and really believe it has already happened) world hunger and poverty, for example (instead of wishing for a brand new car); or, if i may be selfish enough here, maybe i can think hard enough and long enough, and believe strong enough, so that the universe will actually manifest russell crowe or joaquin phoenix on my doorstep when i get home from work, dead-tired one evening? hmmmm.

dizzy--i don't mean to make light of something that is working for you. and i am sorry if i come across that way. it's just that i've had this depression for most of my life here, and i've tried everything possible, and over the years it's only gotten worse. however, i do wish for everyone out there that whatever path they choose and whatever they try to combat the ugliness of this disease-- it will lead them to success and to some peace of mind/soul.

fondly,
dakota
Hi Dakota

You can believe with what you want to believe but I am sticking to what I believe. That is the correct book but I thought we weren't allowed to mention books' names here, that's why I haven't quoted it. All I know is, that I used the methods in the book and that black feather was delivered to my doorstep. Since then, I have changed my way of thinking and some other extraordinary things have happened to me only within a week.

All the best
Dizzy

Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
(male)

jim123456 HB User

Yes dizzy it was specially written in relation to your experience and perhaps concentrating on an object for a short time might help.

Why.

An object may enforce the relearning of simple relationships. It would have to be a very simple object and certainly nothing technological. The end of my story is the beginning of another one. Substitute "the balloon was burst and I lost interest in it" with my "thoughts were burst and I losted them".

The solution to getting my thoughts back would be to "repair the balloon" which could be substituted with "taking the antidepressant". It seems the antidepressant has fixed my thoughts but my gut feeling is that something else is wrong. This something else is that, though my thoughts are working, my episodic memories have an incorrect sequence of words attached to them.

To get my memories back into order my next action has to be to blow up the balloon once more and immediately let it go. Because I am logged into a set of early (primitive) rules it's difficult to set off in pursuit of the balloon. First I have to break these rules by finding short term space. Whilst on my journey I may discover that my episodic memories have a sequence of words totally different to the sequence presently in my head.

I started to do this in my imagination. Surely if I can remember the optimum sequence that worked all those years ago I will start to find myself relative to my memories.

Prior to the chase my thoughts were that I should catch the balloon and sit down to draw funny faces on it. However this thought was stupid as do so would put myself at risk and where would I get the crayon from. Then I thought I should rub the balloon to make scary noises. Again stupid as I could have easily burst the balloon making the adventure pointless. Whatever I thought of always ended in individualism (myself) and in reality I was still playing to the primitive rules.

I decided the best way would be to chase the balloon all day without rules in a way that can be best described as obsessional. As soon as I burst it for the last time I had a much more organised mind. I realised the important thing was to share it in the same space (like hanging on to it till I found mum). Only then did the texture relate to feelings, the feelings to noises and reaction, the reaction to recognition and giggles, the giggles to jealousy and others wanting balloons, others wanting balloons to different colors and the environment and the environment to disposing of the remnants in a safe way.

What I had found was a kind of social fulfilment.

Your question was "what color".
The answers in a song that's very much to do with sorting words, priorities and balloons. If anyone wants one theres still ninety eight left.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

it's OK, dizzy! to each his/her own, as the saying goes.

and yes, we're allowed to mention books and authors, but not to copy materials from them, or to put other links than the ones offered by healthboards on here....

and please keep posting. i may be a bit harsh this morning, since i have a terrible headache.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #22
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

Congratulations on finding something that works for you. That's great. However what works for one person will not necessarily work for the next person. Personally I've tried everything including thinking positive and visualizing what I want, and it doesn't work for me. And I agree that there really is nothing new in there, however it's being "packaged" in a different way that works for some people, but not everyone.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #23
(male)

jim123456 HB User

"Personally I've tried everything including thinking positive and visualizing what I want, and it doesn't work for me."

IMO thinking positive and visualizing will enhance at the moment experiences but not in the past experiences. These are stuck in long term memory (fusiform gyrus) without a reference point to the frontal lobes (prefrontal cortex).

I think it may be worth a try by simplifying your word choice into a story containing previously experienced thoughts and visualizations. Sorting your mammilian brain out first will bring the developed human brain into line.

If you start to think using the complexity of linguistics all you are doing is stimulating your short term memories which are the last thing you need to stimulate.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

jim, i'm trying to understand this: are you saying that if we want to visualize past experiences, we are to put the experience into words? yes, words are taking place in "the now"....and they are generated by our "grey matter," yet you also say toward the end that by "using the complexity of linguistics all you are doing is stimulating your short term memories which are the last thing you need to stimulate." so, then how do words/a story help us to visualize past experiences, since this process depends on the complexity of linguistics, as you put it?--and since bringing up "short term memories are the last thing [we] want to do", how can we use words, and not trigger short-term memory at the same time? sorry, i don't think i've explained myself well at all, but maybe you can explain your view in a simpler way too?... i'm just curious, that's all!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #25
(female)

dizzy45 HB User

520 views so far. Wow, I must be doing something right. Has anyone out there tried my test yet (see the bottom of the posts) who would like to share their experience?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #26
(female)

vicky88 HB User

Hi Dizzy,

I just watched the dvd of the secret last night and it's amazing! It's very inspirational and I will definitely try it out to conquer my battle with my ocd and depression. I also bought the book and will start to read. So can you say now that you're over your depression?

vicky88

Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
(female)

dizzy45 HB User

Vicky

No I am not over my depression, but I feel I am on the right road towards it. The book changed my life. I hope you do experience the same experience that I had, it was amazing. It just makes me feel now, that I can change the situation that I am in. Today, I ordered more books on the subject which I will read in great depth. The strange thing that lead me to the secret in the first place was that this guy let me down big time. I happened to get into my car and turn on the radio and someone was talking about how you should not feel bad things for somebody who has let you down as it reverts back on you. And he had quoted it from the secret. I kept the authors name in my mind until I got home. Bought the book. Had an amazing experience and here I am now on this website. If I can change just one person's life from being here and making people aware, that would bring me such joy.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #28
(male)

jim123456 HB User

"so, then how do words/a story help us to visualize past experiences, since this process depends on the complexity of linguistics"

The problem is in the complexity of the vocabulary. What I am saying is to imagine a very basic story avoiding the complexity of linguistics. Once you have the simple words in order of experience you can work though the story again adding more complex ones. The problem IMO is having too many words and not enough processing capacity to arrange them back into the order in which they were first learnt.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #29
(male)

Quasinerd HB User

Wow, you do what I have done since the onset of clinical depression. I have had such a good time learning about my brain and all of its wounders. I have been able to create voices, landscapes, and even the occational animation. The only problem I have is that it often keeps me up at night. Soo much going on in there makes it difficult to maintain a regular sleep schedule. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #30
(female)

dizzy45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasinerd View Post
Wow, you do what I have done since the onset of clinical depression. I have had such a good time learning about my brain and all of its wounders. I have been able to create voices, landscapes, and even the occational animation. The only problem I have is that it often keeps me up at night. Soo much going on in there makes it difficult to maintain a regular sleep schedule. Has anyone else had this problem?
I agree. Some people do not realise the powers that already lie within our minds. We all have the ability to tap into those powers, if only more people would realise it. Recently I have found myself in a state of semi-consciousness and all of a sudden a great piece of music or a great work of art comes into my mind which I would never even think of in my conscious state. It happened to me only last night. I was experiencing a great piece of music but I can't for the life of me remember it as soon as I awake. It absolutely amazes me. Some people would be amazed to know but some of the great artists and musicians that we know about had this same experience but they were somehow able to remember them and deliver their glorious work to us. And no, you are not alone in not sleeping well, cause my brain is so hyperactive.

Closed Thread