It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Tips Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

starseed1 HB User
Smile Depression helped/cured by drinking water--really!

Hello,

I have been on antidepressant medications since 1995, but nothing really seemed to help that well. Last month I felt even worse and was sick of being miserable, so I increased my dosage, although I didn't really want to. The following day I felt better, but I knew it wasn't from the extra 5 mg. of Lexapro, it was too soon for a result. I went over what I did that day and realized that I drank more water than usual. I have never been a big water drinker, in fact, I never really drank much of anything at all, even soda. I was very curious about why I felt so different so I searched on the Web about depression and dehydration. I figured that the water had helped. Well, I came across several articles about the subject, which mentioned that if your brain is dehydrated, it causes depression and anxiety. The neurotransmitters don't function properly. Simply drinking more water is a cure. It seemed too simple to be true, but I decided to drink more water and stop taking the extra 5 mg. It's been 1 month and I can honestly say I am a different person. The depression/anxiety is nearly gone, and I plan to be off the antidepressant soon. I felt a huge change in my mood within 2 days of drinking more water, approx. 6-8 glasses a day. No, this isn't a joke.

I am writing to suggest that you may be depressed because you are dehydrated. Try drinking more water and see if it helps. Aside from lifting my depression, it has also given me increased motivation and energy. I had lost my enthusiasm for life and all I wanted to do was sleep, and this was while being on Lexapro, so the medication didn't do much good. I am not suggesting that you stop your medication and just drink water, but increase your water intake and see if you feel better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starseed1 For This Useful Post:
dixie1950 (12-30-2011), FM1992 (07-25-2011), Rikou C (09-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Depression helped/cured by drinking water--really!

Thank you for your thinking of us to help in our struggle with depression.I notice that when I don't eat sweets,that I am less depressed.I also have had good vibes by dringinbg water.I think all of us could feel better,by drinking several glasses a day. Thanks again for sharing. Bill

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

starseed1 HB User
Smile Re: Depression helped/cured by drinking water--really!

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply

I know what a struggle it is to live with depression and anxiety for many years, it becomes your life, it's part of your identity, and it's hard to have a "normal" life. In fact, it's hard to imagine being without it as life is focused around your emotional state. I am amazed at the effect drinking water has had on my life, I am pretty much in shock (in a good way).

My mood has literally shifted in the last month. Instead of being anxious and crying all the time, I am calm, focused, and much happier. Hard for me to say this as I haven't been happy in many years. There has been a very profound change. It's interesting because I eat very healthily, I exercise, and take many vitamins, but never thought to drink water.

Here's an interesting quote from an article on the Web, "Psychiatric illnesses ... are a sign of lifetime dehydration. Every sip of water is first dedicated to hydrating the brain and cranial fluids then to the rest of the body. When we fail to drink enough water over a lifetime, toxins begin to interfere with the brain's delicate neuro chemical balance. Once a single chemical reaction in the brain is significantly altered, the resulting ripple effect will be felt throughout the brain. The accumulation of these events can lead to brain diseases and imbalances of all kinds, including clinical depression."

I want to spread hope that a lifetime of depression may be due to lack of water. The experts recommend that one drinks water, not soda or Gatorade, or other things. Only water can provide the body with what it needs since our brain is 85% water. It's worth a try--it's free!!

Best wishes!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starseed1 For This Useful Post:
FM1992 (07-25-2011), Rhondalinda (08-20-2012)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

starseed1 HB User
Re: Depression helped/cured by drinking water--really!

One important note: Don't overdue the water, it will deplete your body of essential vitamins and nutrients. Best to be conservative and drink between 6-8 8 oz. glasses a day. If you are already doing this, then a small increase a day is probably best. I am not a doctor so if you are concerned, best to consult one that is open-minded.

Closed Thread