It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #1

Radio HB User
Question about depression.

Hi.
I have a question concerning the nature of depression.
Is it possible for depression to lift for days at a time?
I usually go through about a week of feeling empty and then a few days where I feel like myself. Does depression work like this in some cases?

Last edited by Radio; 11-05-2003 at 03:23 PM.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Smile

Depression absolutely can lift for a few days at a time. It can lift really for any amount of time, be it hours or years. Personally I am bipolar so I know that this is true. However, you don't have to be bipolar to go through a depression lift.
Let me know if you have any more questions!
Kristina

The following user gives a hug of support to *music23*:
Foxhound86 (10-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 06:03 AM   #3
Inactive

thickman HB User
Yup!

The most I ever had was 2 good days in a row, then I feel the slump creeping back in...

Just wish I could fight the slump better...

Old 11-06-2003, 06:15 AM   #4

girl_alone HB User
I get it lifting, sometimes a few hours, days, maybe a week or so, then sometimes I will go for a few months without feeling really depressed, and then it sets in again. There are lots of atypical types of depression - dont think you're wierd or alone in this.

I see my mood lifting for a while as a sign that my depression is an illness, and not particularly related to external events. I know that when one day I'm fine, and the next I'm suicidal and nothing much has changed between the two days, that it must be due to depression and not that I am useless/worthless/have a rubbish life etc.

_alone

The following user gives a hug of support to girl_alone:
Foxhound86 (10-29-2011)
Old 11-06-2003, 08:49 AM   #5

Radio HB User
Have any of you tried taking antidepressants to try to level out your constantly shifting moods? Is it effective?
I'm tired of changing all the time. When I'm in a mood where I feel like myself, I am so unbelievably happy. Then I change again. It's hard to take. I think I'm going to try antidepressants and I was just wondering if any of you had success...

Old 11-06-2003, 08:50 AM   #6

Radio HB User
Talking

Oh, and thank you very very much for the replies.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio
Have any of you tried taking antidepressants to try to level out your constantly shifting moods? Is it effective?
I'm tired of changing all the time. When I'm in a mood where I feel like myself, I am so unbelievably happy. Then I change again. It's hard to take. I think I'm going to try antidepressants and I was just wondering if any of you had success...
I took them for 14-years! They definitely can help a lot leveling out your mood, but I would look into CBT when you get a chance as it is very effective and may be able to cure rather than mask your depression like meds do. It worked for me and a good many others I know. Take care!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:58 AM   #8

Radio HB User
Thanks for the reply and the advice.
What is CBT? Is it a type of talking therapy? If so, I am seeing a therapist, and I think it will help me out.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio
Thanks for the reply and the advice.
What is CBT? Is it a type of talking therapy? If so, I am seeing a therapist, and I think it will help me out.
Hi Radio-

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. Most people see incredible results in as few as 12-weeks. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz take a look at it and you may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on CBT. Take care and let me know if I can be of any more help?

Old 11-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Smile

Because i am bipolar, I change moods quite often when not on meds (and even when on meds!) so I am on anti ds and mood stabilizers. I'll bet that there are some anti ds out there with mood stabilizing qualities though.
Kristina

Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
CBT has long term effects, unlike meds. You can always reapply the techniques you learn in your CBT sessions, even after many years, and they still work.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:49 AM   #12

girl_alone HB User
I've been on antidepressants for a while and they havent helped my change in moods much. Tho that might just be because they havent found the right dose etc yet. They are definately worth a try, as is CBT, cos if you dont try it you wont know if it works for you.

_alone

Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by *music23*
Because i am bipolar, I change moods quite often when not on meds (and even when on meds!) so I am on anti ds and mood stabilizers. I'll bet that there are some anti ds out there with mood stabilizing qualities though.
Kristina
I'm no expert on Bi-polar, but I think CBT is worth looking into as Janik pointed out once you learn the tools you have them on call for the rest of your life wherever you are. I think they may at least help you get off of anti d's down the road. Take care!

Old 11-07-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_alone
I've been on antidepressants for a while and they havent helped my change in moods much. Tho that might just be because they havent found the right dose etc yet. They are definately worth a try, as is CBT, cos if you dont try it you wont know if it works for you.

_alone
Excellent attitude Girl! Everyone has to find what works best for them and if you don't try things you'll never know if it works or not.

Old 11-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Bipolar people do need to take medication forever. But that doesn't mean that CBT wouldn't help them. I'ts very effective, especially with depressive moods. My understanding is, it's not very helpful with mania, because the racing thoughts make it hard for people to concentrate.

Closed Thread