It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 02:40 PM   #1

SweetTemptation HB User
Post Getting diagnosed for depression

deleted post

Last edited by SweetTemptation; 03-11-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive

thickman HB User
Re: Getting diagnosed for depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTemptation
Im 20 years old. My mother has been diagnosed with depression for years. She takes Zoloft. My older sister who is 22 was recently diagnosed about a year ago. Well, I think Im next. I really dont want to be! I feel fine most of the time, but I have those unctonrollable times where I over react and just dont care about anything. I have low motivation for things such as work, exercise, etc. I am overall very happy, but I feel like I should/could feel better. I am living in Europe now and dont have a regular Dr but I am going back to the states in December. My mom has suggest I go see my Dr. there and see if it could be depression. I am almost certain it is, but I really dont want to take the drugs for it. I am worried about losing my sex drive, gaining weight, etc. All of the side effects. Can anyone help comfort me on these issues or give me some advice on what side effects there are on what drugs?? Thanks
Sorry to hear your family is living with depression... It is not a nice thing, as you probably already know.

I suggest any type of talk therapy before any pills all the way! No need to go on medications until they are SURE you cannot manage without them...

Please let us know what your doctor suggests... And don't be afraid to "SAY NO TO DRUGS"

Talk therapy could be your saving grace...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

If you are overall very happy as you say, then live with that. Life is not perfect. You will have your bad moments, everybody does. That does not necessarily mean that you suffer from depression. You are just having a bad moment. Stay off the drugs and medication. I wouldn't even bother to see a doctor. Don't waste your time and money on a doctor. There is nothing wrong with you!

I don't know if the drugs would make you feel better. I tend to believe the drugs more often just numb your senses leading you to believe you feel better. But, as I said, I don't know much about these drugs. My use of drugs amounts to a single aspirin, on average, once every three years, at least in my later years.

Hoop

Old 11-24-2003, 09:31 AM   #4

dave301261uk HB User

Hi Sweet Temptation,
I am new to Healthboards and have just been scrolling over your entry on depression diagnosis and some of the interesting replies you have recieved. I have been plagued with depression for about 5 years now and have become quite good at recognising changes in my thought processes and behaviour patterns that warn me of a need to take action. I would not recommend that you leave unresolved feelings of low mood, tearfullness, changes in your sleep pattern or feelings of isolation or low self-worth. However, you really must keep this in context to your true situation as I believe there is an over-tendency to medicate in transient short-term mood change. I realise you are away from home and wonder what your present support network is like? We all need someone to talk to, who understands us, it gives us a sense of belonging. I think it is a good idea to seek out your Doctors advice on return to the US but also seek out the support of your friends and family. If you feel you have issues that maybe related to your childhood ask your doctor to refer you to a good Cognitive Behavioural Therapist as in my experience anti-depressants alone will not stop further episodes of depression in the future. I have had 3 episodes of depressive illness and have been medicated with Paroxetine (SSRI) x 2 and more recently, Venlafaxine XL (SNRI). I have recently stopped this latter drug and must admit to feeling quite ill, but I expected that. One final thing, have a long honest look at your alcohol drinking habits, I am very aware of the negative effects that alcohol has on me, either medicated or not, it basically destroys neurotransmitters and leaves me running at 50% for days afterwards.
I hope some of this is of use to you, best of luck

Closed Thread