It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 12:26 PM   #1

Missy1026 HB User
effexor and skin rashes???

Hi, I started taking effexor about a month and a half ago, but a few days after starting effexor I developed a rash in the genital area. I know there is nothing else wrong with me, cause i've been checked for anything that my crazy mind thinks it could possibly be. I didn't mention the rash to my doc, cause i thought it would go away like a normal rash. I'm just wondering if i'm the only one experiencing this rash dilemma? and if i stop taking the meds, will it go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: effexor and skin rashes???

Hi Missey1026,

I don't think that Effexor would cause a rash in that area without it showing up in other areas. But, you best go back to the doctor to have you checked out to make sure it's not anything else. There could be many reasons for genital rashes, some of them serious if you are sexually active. Hopefully, it's nothing serious and you are able to get it cleared up quickly.

I hope you do well on the Effexor, I have for the past year.

Worry won't help you feel better. Go to the doctor. Let us know how you're doing.

Best to you,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #3

Missy1026 HB User

Hey Quincy.......Thanks for the advice
Well....I guess that's what i'll have to do. I have recently been to the doc to check for those things, and i'm fine. And it just seemed after taking the effexor that's when i started getting a rash in that area. It's only a rash though, it's not open blisters or anything.
but one more trip to the doc won't hurt.
Well......i'm thinking about stopping the effexor cause I know this seems crazy...but the excessive sweating it unbelievable...and i can't deal with it anymore. it's november and i have a fan on in work!!!! My co workers must think i'm nuts....hehehe
thanks qunicy!!

Old 11-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #4

dave301261uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1026
Hey Quincy.......Thanks for the advice
Well....I guess that's what i'll have to do. I have recently been to the doc to check for those things, and i'm fine. And it just seemed after taking the effexor that's when i started getting a rash in that area. It's only a rash though, it's not open blisters or anything.
but one more trip to the doc won't hurt.
Well......i'm thinking about stopping the effexor cause I know this seems crazy...but the excessive sweating it unbelievable...and i can't deal with it anymore. it's november and i have a fan on in work!!!! My co workers must think i'm nuts....hehehe
thanks qunicy!!
Hey Missy1026, I've been taking Effexor XL 75mg since February this year and all was going ok until September when I started to get this itchy rash. It came on suddenly and has been a daily problem since. It effects my legs, groins, arms and upper truck but not necessarily all these areas all of the time. The appearance is like red whelds raised on my skin and they are hot! I've been to my doctor he says it's Urticaria, which is basically any unidentified allergic reaction. I've had a look at my lifestyle and checked that nothing significant has changed. My Doc prescribed me Certirizine antihistamines which does keep the rash away, he wasn't to keen to consider the Effexor as the allergen. Anyway I'm not convinced with his account so I stopped taking my Effexor 2 weeks ago. My withdrawl symptoms are just about through now but I wouldn't advise anyone to stop suddenly as i did. I've just undergone a 2 week electrical brain storm with neurones firing off all over the place, causing dizziness, muscle spasms, tiredness and headaches. Now my withdrawl is done I am going to stop the antihistamines. I'll let you know whether the rash has gone or not. There must be someone else out there who can relate to skin rashes and antidepressant meds. lets face it they play havoc with normal liver function and hence blood filtration?? I do appreciate that without Effexor last Feb I would be a mess now, my anxiety levels were throught the roof which made me depressed and Effexor cushioned me well by turning 50% of me off but it's no way to live your whole life is it???

Old 11-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

A friend of mine, who is in the medical field, told me that if I got a rash on Effexor to tell my doctor immediately. I didn't stay on it more than two weeks due to the racing heart & pulse though, so I wasn't on it long enough to get the rash. I'd report it to your doctor.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 AM   #6

Missy1026 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
A friend of mine, who is in the medical field, told me that if I got a rash on Effexor to tell my doctor immediately. I didn't stay on it more than two weeks due to the racing heart & pulse though, so I wasn't on it long enough to get the rash. I'd report it to your doctor.
ok, that's a little scary now....is this some sort of life-threatening rash or something???

Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #7

dave301261uk HB User

Interesting comments Lori j, I will report it to my Doc but not yet, he will be quick to warn me of the dangers of getting sick again! My depression is anxiety linked and i was wondering whether anyone has tried any of the alternative 'remedies' such as S-Adenosyl-Methionine? I appreciate that this is only indicated for mild to moderate depression and is no good for you folks who are serverely depressed or Bi-polar, with whom I sympathise strongly, but I would be interested to know of any members experiences. regards dave

Old 11-25-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1026
ok, that's a little scary now....is this some sort of life-threatening rash or something???
Like with any meds, a rash usually indicates that you are allergic to the med. I doubt it is life threatening, but I would speak with your doctor. From my friends warning, I assumed that with this particular med, that a rash is common, more so than other AD's. I've never had a rash from any that I've been on, nor been warned about a rash other than with this one.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

It could be allergic reaction, or simply drug reaction. Heres' the list on effexor and skin side effects, which are basically a whole bunch of medical terms(to just confuse us) for such things as itching, rashes and sometimes blisters (including hair loss too). Thank goodness for online medical dictionaries.

From Effexor PDF

Skin and appendages - Frequent: pruritus; Infrequent: acne, alopecia, brittle nails, contact dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, skin hypertrophy, maculopapular rash, psoriasis, urticaria;
Rare: erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis, lichenoid dermatitis, hair discoloration, skin
discoloration, furunculosis, hirsutism, leukoderma, petechial rash, pustular rash, vesiculobullous
rash, seborrhea, skin atrophy, skin striae.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:48 PM   #10

Missy1026 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
It could be allergic reaction, or simply drug reaction. Heres' the list on effexor and skin side effects, which are basically a whole bunch of medical terms(to just confuse us) for such things as itching, rashes and sometimes blisters (including hair loss too). Thank goodness for online medical dictionaries.

From Effexor PDF

Skin and appendages - Frequent: pruritus; Infrequent: acne, alopecia, brittle nails, contact dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, skin hypertrophy, maculopapular rash, psoriasis, urticaria;
Rare: erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis, lichenoid dermatitis, hair discoloration, skin
discoloration, furunculosis, hirsutism, leukoderma, petechial rash, pustular rash, vesiculobullous
rash, seborrhea, skin atrophy, skin striae.

Hey, thanks guys for all your help and info!!!!

Old 11-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #11

dave301261uk HB User

Just a quick update folks, 3 weeks off Efexor XL and as if by magic no more itchy rash and no antihistamines either! If you are experiencing these side effects and you are severely depressed, see your doctor. DON'T JUST STOP TAKING YOUR EFEXOR! I am taking my third walk outside medication in three years and am now looking for CBT which is not that easy to come by were I live but I will be hounding my doctor!

Closed Thread