It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #1

koolstof HB User
Remeron (=>mirtazapine): dosage/sedation (weird relationship?)

However my doc says otherwise, to me it seems that the sedating effects of Remeron DECLINE of I take more of it! If I take two times a day 30mgs, I'm not nearly as sedated as I only take ounce 30 mgs. In other words: the more I take, the less sedated I seem.

I also read something somewhere (do not ask me where) that confirms this thesis. Or could it just be that I was getting used to this medications side-effects (I'm talking about a timespan of 10 days, with day 1 as the first day I took Remeron. I then took 30 mgs and slept all day. Day 10 is now: I alternate dosage: one day 30mgs, another day 60 mgs and I can function normally, do not feel like a zombie anymore).

IN SUMMARY:
If you increase the dosage of Remeron/mirtazapine does this mean less sedation? (Please include the source of your information or explain why)

Thanks!

Last edited by koolstof; 12-12-2003 at 08:05 AM. Reason: included generic name in tittle

Old 12-12-2003, 08:16 AM   #2

webbsy HB User
Re: Remeron: dosage/sedation (weird relationship?)

hey koolstof

I started remeron (it is known as Zispin in the uk) 6 days ago and im on 15mg, how comes your on such a high dosage 60mg seems quite high to me

they dont know why but it seems to be true that the lower the dosage the better sedation it offers.

I was in hospital this weekend because I didnt think I could carry on with my life and to be honest the drug seems to be working wonders for me sleep and depression wise, I was and am amazed at how fast acting it is.

I havent slept more than about 2-4 hours for the last year sometimes none at all but on the first night of mirtazapin I slept like the dead and have every night since.

I hate to use the word miracle because its still early days.

I hope it continues to work as im feeling real again.

why not ask the doc about a lower dosage as 60mg sounds quite high, but I am no expert also I think you are only supposed to take it at night.

Good luck to both of us :0)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 09:01 AM   #3

koolstof HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsy
hey koolstof

I started remeron (it is known as Zispin in the uk) 6 days ago and im on 15mg, how comes your on such a high dosage 60mg seems quite high to me

they dont know why but it seems to be true that the lower the dosage the better sedation it offers.

I was in hospital this weekend because I didnt think I could carry on with my life and to be honest the drug seems to be working wonders for me sleep and depression wise, I was and am amazed at how fast acting it is.

I havent slept more than about 2-4 hours for the last year sometimes none at all but on the first night of mirtazapin I slept like the dead and have every night since.

I hate to use the word miracle because its still early days.

I hope it continues to work as im feeling real again.

why not ask the doc about a lower dosage as 60mg sounds quite high, but I am no expert also I think you are only supposed to take it at night.

Good luck to both of us :0)
What can I say...? When I'm down I tend to turn to desperate meassures. My doctor told me that upping my dosage would bring no relief of the sedation; I didn't believe him and acted on my own, now I will "confess" to him. I wander if I will be able to resist the urge to rub an "I told you so" in his face... *grin*. I also quite tolerant towards chemicals...

Well, I guess it IS true what they say and one should not dispair but hold on... Right now, I can honestly say that I'm feeling mildly optimistic. If I compare this with "blacker" times (a psychologist once told me that she couldn't do anything specific for me after I explained my case to her, when you're hearing that then you tend to be somewhat discouraged...) I just have to stand in awe for the powers of a stupid pill.

Last edited by koolstof; 12-12-2003 at 09:10 AM.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:34 AM   #4

koolstof HB User

Just asked my pharmacist whether more Remeron could actually mean LESS sedation... She looked at me as Bin Laden looks at a bumper sticker: "I luv NY".

Bottom-line was that she was not sure but it would seem very unrealistic to her because the general rule is: the more you take, the greater the (side-)effect. This does not qualify as an exception according to her.

She and my doc makes two, I still say they both are wrong :-)

Last edited by koolstof; 12-12-2003 at 11:04 AM.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #5

ravenstorm HB User

Hey everyone
I'm not on remeron but my pdoc told me that it definitely does get less sedating as you take more. she says it is one of the few drugs that functions like that!

Old 12-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #6

EnchantdFirecat HB User

Is that really true bout the lower dosage b/c im on 90 mg for the reason i have really bad insomnia like i go days without sleeping. Ill have to ask my dr about it next appt.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:30 AM   #7

webbsy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantdFirecat
Is that really true bout the lower dosage b/c im on 90 mg for the reason i have really bad insomnia like i go days without sleeping. Ill have to ask my dr about it next appt.
I had way bad insomnia for a year with bad depression so when I started taking remeron imagine my suprise when it was like being hit on the head at bed time I am sleeping like a baby, I started on 15mg and it has worked so well for my depression and insomnia that I am just carrying on on the low dosage.

I have read that when people reduce dosage the better the sleep, all I know is that low dosage is helping my think straight and get the sleep I so desperately needed.

good luck and love to you all

Old 01-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #8

lawgal HB User

Re: the sedation. I have been on Remeron for 8 weeks. At 7.5 and 15mg, it completely knocked me out. At 30, it makes me nervous and spaced out, but not sleepy.

The explanation of less sedation at lower doses is as follows: At lower doses, it targets serotonin [which is sedating] receptors more than norepinephrine, which is engergizing]. At the higher doses, it targets more norepinephrine receptors, which cause more engery.

Additonally, at lower doses, it tends to target histamine blockers, and makes you drowsy, like an anithistamine. Hope I'm explaining this right.

Anyway, there are scientific reasons why, at does less than 30mg, Remeron is very sedating. It's something I've been fighting for weeks, and the fatiuge is not letting up.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
Inactive

fruitloop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal
Re: the sedation. I have been on Remeron for 8 weeks. At 7.5 and 15mg, it completely knocked me out. At 30, it makes me nervous and spaced out, but not sleepy.

The explanation of less sedation at lower doses is as follows: At lower doses, it targets serotonin [which is sedating] receptors more than norepinephrine, which is engergizing]. At the higher doses, it targets more norepinephrine receptors, which cause more engery.

Additonally, at lower doses, it tends to target histamine blockers, and makes you drowsy, like an anithistamine. Hope I'm explaining this right.

Anyway, there are scientific reasons why, at does less than 30mg, Remeron is very sedating. It's something I've been fighting for weeks, and the fatiuge is not letting up.
I was first put on remeron for panic attacks and was given 30mg at night and it knocked me out which was not too bad at the time because i was in hospital waiting a back operation.
It has since been upped to 45mg at night and i have been told that that is the maximum dose any higher is apparently dangerous!!
I have been on it about 6 months now and at first it was brilliant but i fear it has started to stop working.
Remeron on its own for depression i have heard is not very long lasting and other anti's need to be taken with it.
I also found that i sleep less now i upped it 1 month ago and dont believe that everyone gains weight on it, i havn't infact i have lost 2 stone.

Closed Thread