It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #1

MistyMisty HB User
Is anyone on Effexor and Small Dose of Trazodone for sleep?

I take 50 mg of Trazodone at bedtime and was prescribed Effexor XP, the starter package. I am wondering if anyone is on both meds at the same time?
My first dose of 37.5 mg of Effexor made me very nauseous. It took it at 5 p.m. and was awake most of the night. (I did not take the Trazodone that night.) Does anyone have experience with this combination of drugs? Does Effexor cause weight gain? Thanks for any replies. MistyMisty

Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

swtevnbrz HB User
Re: Is anyone on Effexor and Small Dose of Trazodone for sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMisty
I take 50 mg of Trazodone at bedtime and was prescribed Effexor XP, the starter package. I am wondering if anyone is on both meds at the same time?
My first dose of 37.5 mg of Effexor made me very nauseous. It took it at 5 p.m. and was awake most of the night. (I did not take the Trazodone that night.) Does anyone have experience with this combination of drugs? Does Effexor cause weight gain? Thanks for any replies. MistyMisty

I am taking Effexor XR 75 mg. per day. I began on the starter package of 37.5 for a week and then 75 mg now on my fourth week. I take mine in the morning as it keeps me awake at night. I still have a bit of an insomnia problem even taking it at 6:30 am. I have not had any negative side effects so far, no weight gain or nausea. I am not taking anything for sleep, but if the insomnia continues I will talk to my doc about the problem. You might try switching to the am , unless your doc advises you to do otherwise of course. As far as the weight gain goes, it is early on for me, but my appetite is definately decreased. I hope this continues as I don't need to gain any more weight. Hope this was helpful.

Blessings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Hi MistyMisty,

I am on 150mg of Effexor XP and 50mg of Trazodone. I think this is finally the combination for me. I tried Wellbutrin and had horrible side effects. I tried Paxil CR and that drove me deeper into depression.

I have been on Effexor XP for 6 weeks now. I started at 35mg for the first 4 days, then upped that to 75mg for the next 7 days, and have been at 150mg since then.

I take the Effexor XP first thing in the morning. At first I had a problem sleeping, but I wasn't taking the Trazodone then. I had the Trazodone from my Wellbutrin days (my doc wanted me on that combo). So I decided to try it with the Effexor because my doctor said the Trazodone would help me sleep. Mixed with the Effexor XP, it does. I take the Trazodone around 9pm and within 20 mintues, I am sound asleep. And I can stay that way all the way until the alarm goes off. If I take it any later than that, I have a really hard time getting up in the morning.

On the nights I don't take the Trazodone, I usually don't have a problem falling asleep, but once I wake up, there is no falling back asleep. This could be the middle of the night or very early in the am. And no matter how tired I am, I cannot go back to sleep. So I try really hard to remember to take the Trazodone.

I have very little or no side effects from the Effexor. Once in a while if I move my head to quickly, my head aches. Not a headache, but it aches in the front lobe area. But it quickly passes and I feel fine. I am not nauseated at all. I would suggest taking the Effexor XP as early in the morning as you can. Then take the Trazodone at a decent hour at night. Just give yourself at least 8 hours of sleep.

On the Effexor XP, whether I am taking the Trazodone or not, I have had the most bizzare dreams. I am going to start a new post with this topic as to not take away from your post or get it lost in this thread.

Are you going to be increasing your dosage of Effexor XP any time in the future? Surely each one of us is different. It took me 3 ADs to find one that worked right.

Take care,
Hugs,
Trooper

Old 12-18-2003, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

HI MistyMisty,

I almost forgot about your question about weight gain. Each one of us is SO different, it just depends on you.

I gained 15 pounds in 4 weeks on Paxil CR. It was awful.

Now I'm on Effexor, there hasn't been anymore weight gain, but I haven't lost the 15 pounds yet.

However, I am back playing soccer and exercising, so I would assume my weight will drop again.

I'm a small frame, 5'3" and usually 110 - 115 pounds. So any weight gain is VERY noticeable. None of my clothes fit. Thank gosh it is winter and I can where baggy clothes. I don't think I have ever been 130 in my life.

Hugs,
Trooper

Old 12-18-2003, 06:55 AM   #5
Inactive

laurie_lu HB User

I also started out at 35mg the first week and experienced difficulty sleeping with some nausea. Those side effects stopped a few days later. Then I was increased to 75mg and I experienced the same side effects plus some dizziness/jitteriness which again stopped a few days later. Now I am starting my 4th week of Effexor XR and I have no problems sleeping at all. I sleep pretty well actually. No nausea either. I take my Effexor with breakfast so by the time bedtime comes around I am able to fall asleep easily. I have been too afraid to step on my scale so I don't know about the weight gain. I do know that my clothes do not feel any tighter than usual. I went through my premenstrual bloating phase this month and did not gain the usual water weight like I normally do or turn into "Physcho B*tch" with my period. So I am hopeful this drug will not make me fat.

Closed Thread