It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Do Antidepressants cause parkinsons ?

Do Antidepressants cause parkinsons disease or neurological diseases? I was on effexor for 7 months and I started having weird jolts and slight tremors. When I stopped the jolts kinda stopped but I still have them once in a while to this day. I HOPE that is NOT the start of parkinsons disease. I was also on paxil for one month.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #2

cleo cat HB User
Re: Do Antidepressants cause parkinsons ?

I had slight tremors when my dose was too high - twitching & stuff. As soon as I cut my dose back a little, they went away. I don't think there have been any links between ADs & Parkinsons or any other neurological disorder

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
(male)

artichack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabehotguy
Do Antidepressants cause parkinsons disease or neurological diseases? I was on effexor for 7 months and I started having weird jolts and slight tremors. When I stopped the jolts kinda stopped but I still have them once in a while to this day. I HOPE that is NOT the start of parkinsons disease. I was also on paxil for one month.
I've been on paxil and wellbutrin for two months, have hand shakes, and slight jaw shakes. I didn't have them before the meds. I think your safe from park. disease.

Old 12-19-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....I have always had a slight tremor in my hands, and since I've been on Effexor I notice it a bit more. It is one of the side effects, and when I drink coffee and have a bit of anxiety it's even more noticable. You should see my left hand sometimes when I'm cutting hair. It's not going all over the place shaking, but my client will sometimes ask me if I'm nervous. Interesting, and doing clipper over comb (fine trimming at the temple and ear) sometimes sends my left hand into some kind of weird wonky spasm in a direction other than where it is supposed to go). That's been since the Effexor too (I never put it together till today), but I also have repetative strain injury in the wrist of the same hand. So who really knows. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

The Effexor's not connected with Parkinsons as far as I know. But, if your symptoms get worse, I hope you do get them checked out. Anxiety may make them more exaggerated.

Keep well,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-19-2003 at 11:26 PM.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User

I also got shakes and jolts from Zoloft, along with other unpleasant things. After I quit (and underwent withdrawal) those problems disappeared.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User

Have you been to a doctor about it? It's probably because of the Effexor (unfortunately in some people the side effects last beyond the medication) but it's definitely best to get tests done and find out for sure. Good luck, and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
~Kait

Old 12-20-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janik
I also got shakes and jolts from Zoloft, along with other unpleasant things. After I quit (and underwent withdrawal) those problems disappeared.
Same here. It was my legs that were twitching and jerking when I was taking Zoloft. I have always had slight twitching but the Zoloft definitely made it worse. As with you it got better when I quit taking it although I had no withdrawel symptoms.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
(female)

T-bone-Mama HB User

I am on Wellbutrin, and the only lingering side effect is a slight but noticable tremor throughout my whole body, along with slight small muscle weakness and clumsiness. Sometimes I stop taking it for a few days, and the trembling goes away so I'm not really worried about it being permanent. The depression and even anxiety are finally much, much better, so I don't plan to switch meds right now. But I'm wondering - is this a possible side effect of all of the AD's? There are times I have to stop taking it because the tremor affects my livelyhood.

Old 12-21-2003, 02:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone-Mama
...But I'm wondering - is this a possible side effect of all of the AD's? There are times I have to stop taking it because the tremor affects my livelyhood.
I don't think so, after my Zoloft experience I tried Wellbutrin (with some skepticism) and I was all right: no serious side effects, plus it really worked. I guess different people have different responses with each type of antidepressant.

Closed Thread