It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 04:19 AM   #1
(female)

Jensmom HB User
prozac to lexapro

I have been on prozac for almost a year and am having terrible trouble with dreams. The doctor is talking about switching me to lexapro...anyone ever done this? Any thoughts??

Thanks

Old 01-07-2004, 06:20 AM   #2

creatia HB User
Exclamation Re: prozac to lexapro

Prozac to Lexapro:

Well, all that I can say is that my Dr. did the same thing, with one MAJOR setback.... he also put me on Welbutrin at the same time as the Lexapro... now here comes the "shouting": DO NOT...
I REPEAT:

DO NOT ALLOW YOUR DR. TO DO THIS TO YOU!!!!!!!...

Ok, now for the reason:

Lexapro, a milder version of an anti-depressant than Prozac, did not phase me in the least, and to top it off, I was put on Welbutrin to help get me off of my smoking habit and to "aid" the Lexapro......

When these two drugs are combined they have a really bad reaction in the brain and it causes severe depression with suicidal tendencies. <EEK!!!>

This happened to me when I had least expected it, and I was not under any type of a trigger for depression at the time... I had found out that I was allergic to Prozac (gave me a really bad sunburn like rash) eventhough the drug did miracles for me and my mental status (it really helped to clean out all of the "cob-****" upstairs, if you know what I mean)

There are MANY patients that have been prescribed both meds at the same time, and it is usually to aid in the Lexapro's efforts... there is plenty of documentation proving what I am telling you... however, don't let your doctor do this to you! Welbutrin on it's own is great...Lexapro on it's own is great, but when taken together--- makes a deadly cocktail.

I now take Lexapro 10mg tabs 2x a day and am doing ok.

I am sure that you will be too.

I do have one more question to ask, however, what did you mean about the "dreams"? Do you experience "life like" dreams? I did while on Prozac, but wierd as this may sound, I kind of miss them. Now I don't dream at all, or at least I don't remember any of them. Being on Prozac heightens your awareness of things, and I have not ran into any of that on Lexapro, as a matter of fact, I sleep more now, the drug has a drowsiness effect to it, completely UNLIKE Prozac... I just don't feel as happy as I did being on Prozac, it was my happy drug"...but the rash really "bit" so I had no other choice.

Take care, and let me know how things are going.

~Creatia~

Last edited by creatia; 01-07-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 06:48 AM   #3

jgurl1976 HB User
Re: prozac to lexapro

I take welbutrin now and have for the last few years. I was given lexapro to take also and I was on cloud nine. I coud have cared less if I would have run over my own dog, & I LOVE my dog! However I am bipolar so I react differently to antidepressants then just depressed people. Each person will react differently to each med. It's just trial & error. Best of Luck

Jen

Old 01-07-2004, 07:39 AM   #4

frank3525 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgurl1976
I take welbutrin now and have for the last few years. I was given lexapro to take also and I was on cloud nine. I coud have cared less if I would have run over my own dog, & I LOVE my dog! However I am bipolar so I react differently to antidepressants then just depressed people. Each person will react differently to each med. It's just trial & error. Best of Luck

Jen,
I read your thread and was wondering why are you on a stimulants for bi-polar disorder. I would think that you might need something like mood stabilizers. My mom has been diagnosed with bi-polar and has been through medications like crazy. Im starting to think that she has add and was just maybe misdiagnosed.

frank

Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 AM   #5

frank3525 HB User

jen,

it seems odd that you would be on welbutrin for bi-polar being that the welbutrin is a stimulant.. The lexapro is a non stimulant and has less side affects... Im thinking that you might need to take some mood stabilizers if im reading your post correctly. Are you severely depressed or very agitated?

frank

Old 01-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
(female)

Jensmom HB User

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a try.

Creatia: The dreams are very lifelike..to the point where sometimes i am not sure if I dreamed them or if they really happened. Like one night I dreamed my son told me his car needed to be fixed...it was only a dream but I had to ask him to make sure!! My problem is that when I dream I wake up very tired, so I think I will try the lexapro.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 PM   #7

jgurl1976 HB User

Welbutrin is one of the few antideprssants that some, not all bipolar people can tolerate, serozone is another. All SSRI's can cause problems like the lexapro which is a SSRI. I am also on Klonopin which is a benzo but has mood stablizing properties. I take it twice a day with my welbutrin. Thats just waht works for me.

Jen

Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Not to throw water on your plans to take lexapro, but be aware that some people do react to the side affects of it. I was one of them, I had every side affect listed for lexapro, in fact I thought I had the stomach flu, but finally figured out it was the lexapro. Just telling you in case you do have side affects, you'll know it's from the lexapro.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:00 AM   #9

anniebear1 HB User

I haven't taken prozac, but lexpro I've been on for a few weeks- side effects have diminished, except for the night sweats and dreams.... weight gain was really an issue for me, but haven't noticed anything yet.... Any thoughts on the continued use of Lexapro?

Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

You guys, side effects can NOT be predicted. You all know this. I've been on 6 andtidepressants and had only mild side effects with most of them.

I'm currently taking Welbutrin an Lexapro together, I have been for almost 6 months, and there has been no problem.

You should not take two of the same kind of drug at the same time. Taking Prozac and Lexapro together is not safe becasue they are both SSRIs, so if you're going to switch, don't overlap them.

Welbutrin is not an SSRI. It should not react with SSRIs. Problems with Welbutrin would be due to the Welbutrin itself, not drug interactions.

Closed Thread