It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 09:14 AM   #1

CrystalBlue HB User
Smile I'm addicted to sleeping pills and don't know how to get off?

Hi. I am Bipolar for years now. I had a episode of being manic and crashed to a low. I am slowly getting out of it. My problem is I feel I am addicted to sleeping pills. I take 30 mg. of Temazapam or also known as Restoral. I have been this way for 8 months. Doctors say it is OK because I need sleep. I was getting 1-4 hours of sleep. I can't go on like this and am feeling very tired in the day and not sleeping. Now I really stopped sleeping. Maybe I get an hour or two. Next my doctor added 25 mg. of Hyroxyzine PAM to what I'm already taking. I do sleep better now but get up really groggy and with a headache. I feel dizzy during the day too. I am really scared that I am addicted toTemazapam. I have read and heard that you sholud only take this for most a few weeks. It has been 8 months. I believe doctors just shut you up sometime and just keep things the same as they are. I am going to see a new doctor soon and am hoping she can help me out with my sleep problems and get me off Temazapam. I feel I am addicted to it and it really scares me. Anyone with any suggestions will help out. Thanks, Crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Re: I'm addicted to sleeping pills and don't know how to get off?

CrystalBlue,
I have taken sleep aids for a good part of my life and still do today. I say sleep aids, they are actually your over the counter Benadryl ( I use the store brand name since they are cheaper) chemical is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride - 25mgs each pill. Antihistamines like these can help sleep too. I've taken for years basically. Have taken a few breaks in between and they aren't addicting. I understand you are taking something much different. Eight months sounds like a long time to be on Temazapam according to what you said. I personally don't know anything about it.

And I agree that you should see another doctor. Other opinions can all be different. But it also sounds like you are educating yourself on that drug so you know something. Doctors aren't always right. I wish they were. I have also taken Hydroxyzine 25mgs. Doctor said they help mild anxiety and aid in sleep. I was taking 100-150 mgs a day near the end. I was never addicted to those ether. It sounds like you may be in for a rough ride for a while until the addiction can subside. Also maybe an anxiety med may help you go off this Temazapam. You can ask your doctor. I also take Clonazepam for anxiety and to aid in sleep. Sorry I couldn't help much. Good luck. MV

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

If the Temazapam is not helping you sleep anymore, you may have become immune to it after 8 months. Wondering why the doc didn't take you off that when he added Hyroxyzine PAM, or at least try to wean you off of it. I'm not familiar with its workings, so not sure if it's one you have to wean off of. Ask your NEW doc about all the meds you're on, plus ask if you need to be on both of these.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I agree with lori j. It does sound as if you might be "immune" to the temazepam now. Temazepam is a benzo, and it is VERY addictive. You might even be having insomnia because you might be going through tolerance withdrawal, because you are so used to that dose. Definitely talk to your new doctor about being weaned off of Temazepam. Never stop it cold turkey. I'm sure you already know that though, because you said that you need help getting off of it. Doctors definitely aren't always right, and it is true that benzos should only be prescribed for a very short period of time or the addiction potential becomes worse. I forget what the exact period of time is, though. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck at the new doc, and take care

Old 01-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Void
CrystalBlue,
I have taken sleep aids for a good part of my life and still do today. I say sleep aids, they are actually your over the counter Benadryl ( I use the store brand name since they are cheaper) chemical is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride - 25mgs each pill. Antihistamines like these can help sleep too. I've taken for years basically. Have taken a few breaks in between and they aren't addicting. I understand you are taking something much different. Eight months sounds like a long time to be on Temazapam according to what you said. I personally don't know anything about it.

And I agree that you should see another doctor. Other opinions can all be different. But it also sounds like you are educating yourself on that drug so you know something. Doctors aren't always right. I wish they were. I have also taken Hydroxyzine 25mgs. Doctor said they help mild anxiety and aid in sleep. I was taking 100-150 mgs a day near the end. I was never addicted to those ether. It sounds like you may be in for a rough ride for a while until the addiction can subside. Also maybe an anxiety med may help you go off this Temazapam. You can ask your doctor. I also take Clonazepam for anxiety and to aid in sleep. Sorry I couldn't help much. Good luck. MV
Some of what I said in my earlier post was not all correct. I didn't know Temazapam (Restoril) was a benzodiazepine. So me suggesting, "Also maybe an anxiety med may help you go off this Temazapam." Strike out that sentence.

But here is what I do know as quoted from a site. "Temazepam is indicated for the short-term treatment of insomnia (generally 7-10 days). For patients in whom the drug is used for more than 2-3 weeks, periodic reevaluation is recommended to determine whether there is a continuing need.

For patients with short-term insomnia, instructions in the prescription should indicate that temazepam should be used for short periods of time (7-10 days).
Temazepam should not be prescribed in quantities exceeding a 1-month supply.

But I personally have taken Clonazepam for several months at 2 mgs a day and never had any trouble going off it. I've taken it several other times through the years and could always cut down within a week or two. I am now on it again (about 5-6 weeks) at 2 mgs a day. It's been a life saver for me. When the doctor wants to cut the drug, I won't have any problem with that. Thanks. Good luck CrystalBlue.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #6

CrystalBlue HB User

I appreciate everyones' advice. Everything is helpful. Good Luck to all. I hope I can help out someone too.

Closed Thread