It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004, 06:19 AM   #1

taaptexas HB User
Unhappy switching from effexor to paxil...???

I am new to this board, so hello to everyone. I have been reading some of the posts and am getting alot of great information. I wondered if anyone can help me with my situation. I have been on Effexor XR for a year and a half now at 300mg/day. I haven't really had any problems on it and had intended to continue on it, but when I called to refill my mail order, I was told it would cost 340.00 to refill, because of the new Rx plan! Well, I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids(1 child with Autism and lots of med. bills) and we have recently had to file for bankruptcy, so needless to say, I could not afford the RX! I called my Dr. and explained the situation and asked if maybe there was something else I could try that was more reasonable in cost. He called in Lexapro, but the insurance said they could not cover it unless we tried either generic prozac or paxil first( i love it when the insurance companies practice medicine!!aggggh!!lol) So now he called and wants me to start on paxil(he is giving me a months worth of samples). My problem is I am now completely out of effexor as of this morning, and am very worried about coming off of this and going straight to paxil. My Dr. says this is ok, but Im not sure he knows the effect as he is my family Dr., not a Psych. Another concern I have is the possible weight gain as I am already very stressed about my recent weight gain over the past sev. months( about 15lbs). This is something I get VERY depressed about,I always have worried about that. It is just part of my whole self esteem issues. So, I am really not sure how to handle this. I am afraid I am just going to have to go through a major withdraw and that scares the hell out of me from what I have read. Help!! Any advice?? Thanks in advance!
Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: switching from effexor to paxil...???

This may help give you info about what to expect when you come off the Effexor. I was prescribed Effexor XR 150mg in Sept. 2000 for the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Since then my dosage of Effexor XR has increased to 225mg daily. I didn't have any bad side effects, (it took me a couple weeks to get used to the drug) EXCEPT for the total loss of libido. I FINALLY talked to a phsyciatrist, through the referral of my therapist about coming off the Effexor and going to Wellbutrin XL. For the last two weeks, I have been "weened" off the Effexor, going first to the 150mg then to the 37.5mg, also taken low dose of Wellbutrin each day. I am nearly done with the Effexor 37.5 and am taking Wellbutrin 300mg. I started to feel nausea and a "dizzy" feeling, not like the common "fibro fog" associated with Fibromyalgia. I just felt "out of it", and there was a "tightened" feeling in my chest, heart palps, which I have normally anyway, but they increased during this time. I was wondering what the heck was wrong with me.Then I thought, it must be the withdrawl of the Effexor, because I had heard you weren't supposed to stop taking it abruptly. I also had terrible headaches. So I searched the internet and found out that I wasn't alone with my symptoms. Thank God! I thought I was really ill there for awhile, other than my Fibro! I really think that doctors ought to reconsider prescribing this med if you need to be "weened" off of it, like a heroine addict! It is given to Fibro patients to increase serotonin, but my phsyciatrist said that the Wellbutrin XL offsets that with the dopeamine(sp). And yes, my libido seems to be returning also. I hope this helps others. I know reading these posts have helped me realize that my symptoms are just that, symptoms.

Good health to you.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:28 PM   #3

severebehavioraldisorder HB User
Re: switching from effexor to paxil...???

Hi, I'm just now coming off of Effexor XR, 300mg to 150mg to 112.5mg to 75mg to 37.5 mg. You should go to your Dr. and ask for some sample packs of Effexor that contain the 75mg and the 37.5mg. If he doesn't have any tell him to find you some. You don't want to stop Effexor cold turkey, you might be one of the lucky few who can stop it without withdrawal symptoms but I wouldn't try it. I was on Paxil before the Effexor and it made me sleepy and tired all day and night, I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day on it. But, it affects everyone different and I have several sleeping disorders. But I was sleeping more during the day while I was on Paxil. My insurance company changes every other year it seems and so does their list of approved meds. It's a real pain, if fact I think its a serious problem, especially with mind altering drugs. There ought to be a law!!!! Also on the Effexor, I gained 15 pounds. Todd

Closed Thread