It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #1

Wiggy HB User
Unhappy Am I depressed?

Hey all im new here.

Well im 17 years of age and living in the UK. For about two years now I have felt really down and believe this may be depression.

I reall cant enjoy life at the moment. I cannot sleep very well at night and usually cannot end up sleeping until about 2am in the morning. As a result I feel really tired in the mornings.
Consequently I feel i am performing badly in college. My grades have started to slip and I find it hard to concentrate in my classes anymore.
Also I often suffer from loss of appetite and never seem to have many meals a day.

I try and keep myself busy through college and my part time job on a saturday but I seem to be really down at times when i am not doing anything.

It just seems to feel like I am getting wound up over the smallest things. Its getting quite embarrasing at work as I often keep to myself and ignore people who are talking to me or 'snaping' and getting angry at those who seem to be looking out for me.
I feel like I want to constantly scream real loud and I am fed up with feeling constantly sad and almost bringing myself to tears on ocasions.

I dont have a very close relationship with my parents and only have one real friend that I feel I can talk to. However recenltly I have tried to talk to him about my concerns and he does seem to listen. However I am under the impression that now I am starting to annoy him with my costant complaining and i am under the impression he is now starting to ignore me which is making me feel worse and now am feeling really alone.

Sorry I have gone on a bit. Please could anyone offer me any advice? What would you recomend I do? I dont want to be like this anymore. Are these symptons of depression? I know I should see a doctor but im quite scared and a little embarrassed to do so anyone got any advice to help?

Please anyone with any help I would greatly appreciate.

from David

Last edited by Wiggy; 03-15-2004 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Am I depressed?

Hi David,
Yes, to answer your question, to me you definitely sound depressed. A lot of the time with people who are, they feel a sense of lonliness and emptiness, that can't be filled a lot of the time, despite what we do. Also sometimes crying or being really really sad, and not being able to quite put your finger on what made you so upset is another big symptom. You sound a lot like me when I was your age, however half the time I just couldn't get myself out of bed until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, sometimes I didn't get up at all. Mostly during that period, I had no energy or motivation to do anything--I had a part time job as well as went to school, and it was far to much for me to handle--even with working only 2 days a week. I was forced to quit my job, and even then I found it extremely difficult to concentrate on school, or anything for that matter. I think you're doing very well, just with the fact that you ARE able to get up in the mornings, and continue on with your part time job. What I would suggest you do is see a doctor (as you said you know you should). Don't be embarrassed about it--depression is a serious medical problem, and can be managed and handled very well a lot of the time. Some of the time medication is necessary, and some of the time, therapy alone is enough. If you have a family doctor, you could talk to him/her about it and see what he thinks would be best for you. He may send you to a psychiatrist, or he may prescribe you something himself (although, seeing a psychiatrist would probably be better--sometimes GP's don't know a whole lot about anti depressants and stuff like that). I hope everything works out for you. Take care.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #3

antares_wish HB User

How long have you been feeling that way? What events in your life happened about that time? What do you think is making you feel this way? You may be suffering from clinical depression or just long term stress that is causing you to feel down and blue.

Either way there are plenty of people here on these boards who have similar problems and are happy to try to help out however they can. I wouldn't take your friends response personally, I'm sure he still cares but it can be hard for someone to hear about a persons problems all the time and he may just be trying to keep his own spirits up.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
(female)

solcita HB Usersolcita HB User

I understand you completely when you say about being ashame of going to a doctor... that's what's stopping me too...

But I'm thinking of going to my college's doctor... you might do the same... I think they're not allowed to talk to anybody about you... so you'd be safe and no one you don't want will know... obviously it all depends on the location of the dr's office... if it's in the middle of the school where everybody will see you going in... then you might have to think in other option...

Please tell us how you're doing... most of the people on the board are going through similar things and all of us liketo hear and help...

Take care,

SOL

Old 03-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

Hi. I think you should see a regular Doc. Whether you're depressed or simply over-tired and stressed out, the doc could guide you. You'll feel better just knowing you've taken a positive step towards helping yourself! Now, make that appointment!

Old 03-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

You have the classic symptoms of depression. You are only 17 years old and now is the time to get help before it really takes hold of your life. You don't have to feel funny about seeing a doctor. So many people have this problem and doctors know that.

Do try and stay busy. Sitting around thinking about it will make it worse. Exercise helps especially anything aerobic. I know it's hard to get moving when you are depressed but you do feel better after. I know, I have battled this problem all my life.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #7

Wiggy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares_wish
How long have you been feeling that way? What events in your life happened about that time? What do you think is making you feel this way? You may be suffering from clinical depression or just long term stress that is causing you to feel down and blue.

Either way there are plenty of people here on these boards who have similar problems and are happy to try to help out however they can. I wouldn't take your friends response personally, I'm sure he still cares but it can be hard for someone to hear about a persons problems all the time and he may just be trying to keep his own spirits up.
Hey to all of you and thanks to your support much appreciated. In response to antares wish Im not really sure what is making me this upset. I cant really say any one thing has got me particulary bad it just appears to be many small things that all seem to build up. I am not too sure if it is just long term stress. I get particulary upset and stressed at work because of changes going on there at the moment I guess it could be a result of that but I have felt this way for far too long now.

Well my aim is to see a doctor within the next week when I can find the courage to call for an appointment. Of course I will let you know what happens youve all been great good luck to the rest of you as well.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:51 AM   #8

antares_wish HB User

That sounds like a good idea. Best of luck to you friend.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
Hey to all of you and thanks to your support much appreciated. In response to antares wish Im not really sure what is making me this upset. I cant really say any one thing has got me particulary bad it just appears to be many small things that all seem to build up. I am not too sure if it is just long term stress. I get particulary upset and stressed at work because of changes going on there at the moment I guess it could be a result of that but I have felt this way for far too long now.

Well my aim is to see a doctor within the next week when I can find the courage to call for an appointment. Of course I will let you know what happens youve all been great good luck to the rest of you as well.
Always a good idea to get checked anmd rule out any physical cause. If it ends up being stress and anxiety like mine you may want to look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as it taught me the tools I needed to get over the problem. My favorite introductory book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and many universities offer CBT programs that are of little or no cost to the patients.

Good luck!

Billy

Old 03-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #10

Elana HB User

I got involved in a cbt group last summer and learned how to retrain my brain through the simple exercises they taught us. My anxiety level is way lower than before. The tools teach you how to keep your thoughts from getting you all wound up and miserable. We used the Obitz book in my group and I like it that it has short chapters and the tools are easy to comprehend and apply to your life.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #11

Wiggy HB User

Hey gang,

Well booked an appointment at last with my doctor had it on friday.

Well I described to the doctor my symptoms and he said that this was signs of depression but seemed to suggest that this may be signs to diabetes because im am not eating much and constantly thirsty. Anyone else been told this? Can altering sugar levels leace you feeling down? Im a bit concerned because i am already a coeliac (an allergy to wheat) so this incereaces my chances.

Got a blood test tommorow and another appointment with my doctor thursday. Because im under 1 he would have to put me on prozac if medication is needed. Anyone had any experiece with this? Any side affects or problems.

Thank you in advance

David

Last edited by Wiggy; 04-05-2004 at 01:46 AM.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #12

kbell HB User

David,
The blood test should tell if you have diabetes. do you have a family history of it? I don't have any personal experience with it but I have a friend who's diabetic and if her blood sugar is low she usually just wants to be by herself and not have to interact with people too much if she can help it. Prozac only to people under 17? Not so sure what the logic behind that one is. I don't understand that and I'd question it if I were you. I hope everything works out ok for you.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #13
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

David, I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that you went to see your doc! I don't know if you feel better for having gone, but I sure do! This ole gal thanks you for doing so and, also, for keeping us updated. We are interested in you and how you're doing.

Lots of illnesses can cause depression. It sounds to me like the doc wants to rule out diabeties before starting any treatment for depression. Sounds like a good plan to me. If it turns out that you're diabetic, then maybe the depression will disappear once the diabeties is under control.

If the doc is able to rule out diabeties, then it sounds like he/she will put you on Prosac. I was on Prosac many yrs ago. I was very pleased w/the edge it gave me to get moving and involved in things again. I can't recall having any bad side effects from it.

I was just reading abt young people and anti-depressants online last week. It was abt some popular ADs not being suitable for teens and children. Prosac was the only one that was listed as safe even for pre-teens!

Sooo, David, it sounds like you've put your health problem in good hands. Whether your problem is diabeties or depression, the earlier you seek help, the better. You've "done good". Please let us know how the blood work & next apptment goes. Fox

Old 04-05-2004, 01:51 AM   #14

Wiggy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbell
David,
The blood test should tell if you have diabetes. do you have a family history of it? I don't have any personal experience with it but I have a friend who's diabetic and if her blood sugar is low she usually just wants to be by herself and not have to interact with people too much if she can help it. Prozac only to people under 17? Not so sure what the logic behind that one is. I don't understand that and I'd question it if I were you. I hope everything works out ok for you.

Sorry kbell my fault that was a typo I was ment to say under 18 im currently 17. Well had my blood test just now should get the results on thursday or next tuesday and have another appointment with my doctor this thursday to coincide with the results which I hope will come.

I will let you know of my progress thanks for your support.

David

Old 04-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
Sorry kbell my fault that was a typo I was ment to say under 18 im currently 17. Well had my blood test just now should get the results on thursday or next tuesday and have another appointment with my doctor this thursday to coincide with the results which I hope will come.

I will let you know of my progress thanks for your support.

David
FWIW, Prozac was my least favorite of many meds and the last I would put a kid on... Just my opinion and hope the blood tests are conclusive for you

Closed Thread