It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #1

nikki28 HB User
wellbutrin xl and weight loss

I have never been on a anti depression pill that works so well!! this pill is like a super pill! i have lost 10 pounds and i have more energy and it makes me smarter if thats possible. I come up with words i never even knew when i have conversations. Before i started the pills i use to sleep too much with no energy now i just sleep a regular nights sleep and wake up energized. Has anyone else experienced the same things i do with wellbutrin xl?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

Foxbluff HB User
Re: wellbutrin xl and weight loss

Wow!!! Sounds like you've found the "just right" med for you. I was on Wellbutrin (can't remember what letters followed the name) abt 5 yrs ago. I remember it caused me to lose weight & sleep less, which was good. Can't remember what side effect it had that I couldn't live with. I am sooo happy for you. It gives us all hope that just the right answer is out there for us, too! By the way, were you ever on a different Wellbutrin that didn't work for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

jossib HB User

How much is your dosage? Just wondering bc thats what I'm on also but I think I need mine raised. Thanks

Old 03-16-2004, 12:51 PM   #4

nikki28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbluff
Wow!!! Sounds like you've found the "just right" med for you. I was on Wellbutrin (can't remember what letters followed the name) abt 5 yrs ago. I remember it caused me to lose weight & sleep less, which was good. Can't remember what side effect it had that I couldn't live with. I am sooo happy for you. It gives us all hope that just the right answer is out there for us, too! By the way, were you ever on a different Wellbutrin that didn't work for you?
I think the new wellbutrin xl works better for me than the regular wellbutrin. Also i forgot to mention another plus that comes with taking wellbutrin xl for me is it increased my sexual drive which is what i needed!

Old 03-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #5

nikki28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossib
How much is your dosage? Just wondering bc thats what I'm on also but I think I need mine raised. Thanks
I'm only on 150 my doctor doesnt think i need anymore than that because i think if i took the 300 mg it would make me lose more weight and that wouldnt be good i have already lost enough weight from it if i lose anymore i will be a bone.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

Nikki, thanx for answering my Q. I'm glad to hear that the "xl" might be different from the other Wellbutrins. I might want to try that again some day.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

I'm one of the unlucky few for which Wellbutrin did NOT cause any weight loss. But it gave me more energy and there were no negative sexual side effects. I stopped taking it after a few months, with no withdrawals. I guess the depression had run its course, I didn't need any antidepressants after that (unless you count Ultram which I think is being experimented with as antidepressant).

Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 PM   #8

Slip23us HB User
Cool Re: wellbutrin xl and weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki28
I'm only on 150 my doctor doesnt think i need anymore than that because i think if i took the 300 mg it would make me lose more weight and that wouldnt be good i have already lost enough weight from it if i lose anymore i will be a bone.
Im going from the tansition from paxil that i was on for a 1 1/2 of a year to Wellbutrin that i just started with 100mg for like 2 weeks then they put me on 300mgs. I would be nice to lose some weight from beinig on paxil and going to wellbutrin.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:01 PM   #9

principessa0015 HB User
Thumbs up Re: wellbutrin xl and weight loss

WOW! I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have been on them all...I mean them ALL - the last being Lexapro eGAD!
I took Wellbutrin once before and it did NOTHING for me. Now I'm on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg twice a day, and I feel damn good.

I haven't lost any weight with Wellbutrin this time, although I don't think I really have any weight to lose. My doctor told me, though, that there IS a correlation between 200mg of Wellbutrin (or More) a day and weight loss.

Also... I was a social smoker- like maybe a pack every two weeks, and that appeal has totally left me as well.

And can I just TELL you about my sex life *grin*

CHEERS!
Alissa

Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #10

Worrytomuch HB User

I'm so happy to hear that there is sex after anti-depressants!!!! :-)

I have been on Paxil for about a year and a half. I've been gradually loosing my sex drive however lately it's worse than ever. Its like I have no feeling at all. I have a wonderful boyfriend who can't help but to think that it has something to do with it. I try to explain, but I can tell he's upset. I understand where he's coming from. Its hard on both of us. I miss sex! :-(

Has anyone here ever switched from one anti-depressant to another and had good results? Is Wellbutrin the only one that is not suppose to interfere with sex drive? I can't help but to wonder, if this stuff makes you loose weight and doesn't mess with your sex drive, why on earth would anybody choose to be on any of the other ones (paxil, zoloft, etc...)???? Paxil has ruined my sex life and if anything has actually made me gain a little weight.

If anyone has changed from paxil to Wellbutrin, please let me know how its going. Also, how long did it take to feel the effects?
If there is nothing out there that will bring back my sex drive, can anyone share with me what they have done to counteract the effects? There has got to be some way to trick my brain into wanting sex again.

Its not fair that in order to help my anxiety and depression I have to give up ever again having one of the best feelings life has to offer. And I don't just mean sex, I've lost all desire for any type intimacy all together! I'm starting to think that the anxiety wasn't so bad afterall! :-) Help!

Thanks for listening to me ramble and vent (must be all the built up sexual frustration) haha

Old 03-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #11

nikki28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrytomuch
I'm so happy to hear that there is sex after anti-depressants!!!! :-)

I have been on Paxil for about a year and a half. I've been gradually loosing my sex drive however lately it's worse than ever. Its like I have no feeling at all. I have a wonderful boyfriend who can't help but to think that it has something to do with it. I try to explain, but I can tell he's upset. I understand where he's coming from. Its hard on both of us. I miss sex! :-(

Has anyone here ever switched from one anti-depressant to another and had good results? Is Wellbutrin the only one that is not suppose to interfere with sex drive? I can't help but to wonder, if this stuff makes you loose weight and doesn't mess with your sex drive, why on earth would anybody choose to be on any of the other ones (paxil, zoloft, etc...)???? Paxil has ruined my sex life and if anything has actually made me gain a little weight.

If anyone has changed from paxil to Wellbutrin, please let me know how its going. Also, how long did it take to feel the effects?
If there is nothing out there that will bring back my sex drive, can anyone share with me what they have done to counteract the effects? There has got to be some way to trick my brain into wanting sex again.

Its not fair that in order to help my anxiety and depression I have to give up ever again having one of the best feelings life has to offer. And I don't just mean sex, I've lost all desire for any type intimacy all together! I'm starting to think that the anxiety wasn't so bad afterall! :-) Help!

Thanks for listening to me ramble and vent (must be all the built up sexual frustration) haha

I was on paxil way before wellbutrin and it made me gain weight and it didnt really help with the social anxiety that i have. Im trying to beat that on my own. When i went off paxil my body felt like i was going to die. I went off completely. And to answer your question i dont know how anybody wouldnt want to be on wellbutrin. It has worked wonders for me and increased my sex drive which wasnt much to begin with. The only reason why someone would want to be on any of the other medications would be for anxiety because wellbutrin doesnt work for anxiety it works just for depression.

Last edited by nikki28; 03-22-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I take Wellbutrin for hair-pulling. It works wonderfully. If I take it faithfully I have no need to pull my hair out. It has also help with SAD. But Nikki is right it does not help with anxiety. It can also cause severe aggitation. My son was on it for a short time and got really hostile. His friends irritated him so much while he was on it that he begged me to send them home if they were here for more than 30 minutes. He is very moralistic and a bit of a prude. He is normally offended by someone saying something as mild as damn. Well, this kid who had never used a swear word, after a few days on Wellbutrin dropped the "big F bomb" on his father. It was quite shocking coming from him. He was so relieved to be taken off it-as were the rest of us.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
(female)

MarlaKate HB User

nikki..... how long did you take Wellbutrin before you started feeling better?

Old 03-28-2004, 12:49 AM   #14

Sarah_Huff HB User

right now i'm taking 300mg a day of Wellburtin SR, the purple ones. i was wondering besides the new one XL just being taken once a day for extended release, what is the difference between the two? also my doctor told me to take 1 pill in morning and one with dinner. is it ok to take 2 in the morning so i can get more energy and than 1 more at dinner? i'd be taking 450mg a day. is that too much? i just got off my birth control pills last week and i've gained 10lbs in one week! i was hoping if i took an extra pill for awhile i might lose some weight.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #15

khollyp HB User

How quickly does weight loss occur when taking wellbutrin?
I just started and wsa on 150 mg for the first week and am now on 300 mg for the duration. Ive read a lot about people losing weight and Im excited about that!
Did you still eat normally? Why does this drug cause weight loss?
Holly

Closed Thread