It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 05:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Elavil etc.

I've tried them all and cannot tolerate any of them. Doctor gave them to me because I have Fibromyalgia and these are Seratonin savers, which supposedly help my condition. Doc says give them a chance to work. but when I do, the more tired and dopey I get from them as they seem to build up in my system day after day. Sure I'm in a better mood, but my brain and thought process are numbed by this stuff. I tried cutting them in half, taking that, but still the same thing. I want to know if anyone else cannot tolerate these SSRI anti depressants?

Old 03-20-2004, 10:15 AM   #2

dagmarharris HB User
Re: Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Elavil etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre
I've tried them all and cannot tolerate any of them. Doctor gave them to me because I have Fibromyalgia and these are Seratonin savers, which supposedly help my condition. Doc says give them a chance to work. but when I do, the more tired and dopey I get from them as they seem to build up in my system day after day. Sure I'm in a better mood, but my brain and thought process are numbed by this stuff. I tried cutting them in half, taking that, but still the same thing. I want to know if anyone else cannot tolerate these SSRI anti depressants?
I am on Celexa. I started it on a liquid dose. I think the trick is to start so slow with the liquid that your body feels very little and slowly it enters your system....I mean like milligrams....The tiredness does come, but hey I would take tired over anxiety anyday!!
How long were you on the SSRi's? It take a good month to get use to them....unfortunately.
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 03-20-2004 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarharris
I am on Celexa. I started it on a liquid dose. I think the trick is to start so slow with the liquid that your body feels very little and slowly it enters your system....I mean like milligrams....The tiredness does come, but hey I would take tired over anxiety anyday!!
How long were you on the SSRi's? It take a good month to get use to them....unfortunately.
~dagmar
I usually quit after a week or two. I know everone says it takes time...but for whatever reason I feel it right away. Elavil was the worst. Hopefully Wellbrutin will do the trick. I'm going to pick them up today.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:00 AM   #4

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
I usually quit after a week or two. I know everone says it takes time...but for whatever reason I feel it right away. Elavil was the worst. Hopefully Wellbrutin will do the trick. I'm going to pick them up today.
I am wondering if you are with just a family doctor? I think p.doc's are the best. They, as psychiatrists, go thru specific training to get the dose adjustment right.
I think you are starting on too high a dose....
I think Wellbutrin is kind of stimulating. It wouldn't work for me, as I have anxiety...but maybe you will like it.
Tell us how it goes....
dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 03-20-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Yes, there are plenty of people who can't tolerate SSRIs. But there are also many other kinds of antidepressants besides SSRIs. Also, there can be other neurotransmitters involve besides serotonin. Welbutrin, for example, works on Dopamine. That's why some people need a combination of meds.

One thing you don't want to do is take more than one drug that affects your serotonin. That can potentially lead to serotonin syndrome, which can be fatal. It's not a risk if you are only on one SSRI but it can be a risk if you are on more than one.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #6

awkward HB User

I was on Celexa for several years before it suddenly started making me sick. I lost about 25 lbs (about 1/5 of my body weight) before I finally figured out what was making me sick. The doctor switched me to Wellbutrin. It has worked quite well - in fact, I think I might be less of a medicine-head than when I was on Celexa.

Over the summer, because of some insurance company shenanigans, I ended up on Effexor for a couple of weeks. It also made me sick and I am back on Wellbutrin again. The doctor said that Celexa and Effexor are practially the same drug and they give a lot of people stomach problems. Wellbutrin is a different sort of drug and does not often make people sick.

To recap: Celexa and Effexor made me sick. Wellbutrin doesn't.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
I usually quit after a week or two. I know everone says it takes time...but for whatever reason I feel it right away...

The thing is, it's normal to feel the side effects immediately. It's the positive, mood-elevating part that you generally have to wait 2-4 weeks to get full benefit from.

Good luck with the Wellbutrin! Remember: start slow.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #8

arborly HB User

True enough that Wellbutrin doesn't bother most peoples' stomach. But for those few for whom it does, it is by far the worst culprit for stomach distress.

No way to know without giving it a shot. Good luck.

Closed Thread