It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #1

Renee1234 HB User
Light therapy

Light boxes can treat Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I wonder if it could heal other types of depression too.
Yesterday I was at work feeling sort of blah, then the sun made its way through a crack in the blinds and I started perking right up.
doesn't everyone feel happier
when the sun is out?
Sometimes when a bad mood hits I turn on all the lights in the house. That helps, so maybe increasing light with a fluorescent light box would make a significant difference. Just an idea, haven't tried it yet.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #2

antares_wish HB User
Re: Light therapy

I don't know about curing other forms of depression but it can definately help some. My therapist always told me that putting myself in an environment like what I percieved happy people as being in would help my mood some and it seemed to a little. I don't believe light box therapy would cure clinical depression but it might take the edge off a little from time to time if they're not too down. *shrug* Most times those of us that have clinical depression don't even know what's getting us down so we can feel depressed even in the middle of hearing a funny joke and laughing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I don't believe light therapy has been shown to be effective with any kind of depression other than seasonal. I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it, since I live in like the depression capital of the world.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee1234
doesn't everyone feel happier when the sun is out?
I definitely feel better when the sun is out! I feel *best* when the sun is out and the humidity is low...

Old 03-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

The sun definitely helps. People who are depressed have a good chance of having SAD also. I know I do. I am at my worse in the fall going into winter. Yes, I still do have the problem with depression at other times of the year but I know one thing, when the days are short I am at my worse. Lack of sunlight definitely contributes.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #6

Renee1234 HB User

Yes, I get SAD too. I also hate nighttime more than day-- I sleep better with my bedroom light on, or a night light. I don't know how normal that is for a 28-year-old...

Old 03-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User

I posted a while back (February) about the light box I purchased for what was diagnosed as depression.

I definitely know that the fall/winter season here in the north affects my moods in a HUGE way. My experience with it?

When I get up for work in the dark, I'd put on my light just to "get me going". But can I say that it helps depression? NO. Was so hoping it would make a difference and I think that at first I truly believed it made a difference. (The power of the mind....) Then, all H** broke loose, a death of a family member put me in a worse state than I was already in. Went to the dr. who put me on a tricyclic a/d (tried Effexor XR first - bad reaction) along with valium as anti-anxiety. Still, no better. In fact I think I'm spirally downward.....especially with the gagging that comes on when anxious.

So, hope that helps you somewhat in your question about light therapy. Will probably be advantageous to those with SAD just to get your body into thinking that daylight is occuring, but has not helped me with the weepies/anxiousness associated with my depression.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Hey, Girl, I'm so sorry to read that you're having a hard time right now!

Your taking the time and energy to post your response to the light box is very much appreciated. I was one who was curious about it because we are most likely moving from the sunny south to London...

Old 03-21-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
(female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Hey, Girl, I'm so sorry to read that you're having a hard time right now!

Your taking the time and energy to post your response to the light box is very much appreciated. I was one who was curious about it because we are most likely moving from the sunny south to London...
Hi Index:

Good luck on your move to London......for me it would be a huge transition from a sunny south location to London. However, keep a positive outlook and I'm sure you will be fine. And also, it's not like you are moving in November/December (or are you?). Summer always is the best time of year for me no matter how I'm feeling. Sunshine and warm summer breezes are almost (ha ha) a cure-all for me.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #10

Tanki HB User

I own a light box and do light therapy for SAD.. this year however I couldn't do it I was way too sensitive to it..

But they do help with depression that's for sure.

Closed Thread