It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #16
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitloop
Well i have been on the 15mg of remeron now for a week and it was exactly the same pattern as when i reduced from 45mg-30mg, that is first 2 days headaches and then 3 good days(hooray its working!) but the its depression again for the following days. Its a complete roller-coaster ride.
It was exactly the same pattern for both reductions, but i feel no worse than when was on 45mg!! but only slightly better.
So its crossroads time! 15mg-nothing and see or stick with it ? but i am definately not increasing.
My doc is none the wiser either but atleast if i can come off and i still get the swings then i can try anything on the other hand it might be a complete cure.
Who knows?
But i have come to the conclusion that remeron had stopped working a long time ago which was what my original question was about How do you no?
I feel i have wasted at least 3 months on this drug when weaning off was the answer not loading me up with another at the same time which is what originaly the doc wanted to do.
Wish me luck.
And the best of luck to all of you.
Hi Fruit-
I'm glad you have been successful lowering your dose, but be careful. I'm from the better safe than sorry school and I hope you are looking into CBT or some other option to learn some tools to keep you from succumbing to anxiety and depression

Take care!

Billy

Old 03-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #17

luvmyboys HB User
Re: Weaning off meds how do you know..........

I took remeron for five months. It was awful. I never had panic and anxiety until I started it. Now two years later, I have constant low grade anxiety. I used to get full fledge attacks with hyperventilation while on remeron and for a few months after going off of it. They think it caused some nerve damage. Also, they took me off cold turkey and I wound up in the hospital for a week with severe diarrhea and nausea and headaches. By the way, those effects started the second day off the medicine. I truly thought I was going to die. I hyperventilated for four hours til they finally gave me some lomotil and xanax. Now, I am on xanax still. So, I'm doing the roller coaster ride of trying to get off of that. I pretty much hate all meds. I couldn't take any of the ssri's. They all cause severe nausea and diarrhea to the point where I became dehydrated and again landed in the hospital. They got to know me really well over there in the course of a couple of years. And yes, celexa is an ssri. That one was one of the worst ones for me, but some people do really great on it. I've come to the conclusion that drugs aren't the answer. I've done CBT and it really works. I will probably have to do it again though as I am now weaning the xanax and feeling pretty sick on some days. Just my thoughts for you. I really don't think remeron is a very good drug. It works the opposite of the other ones. Made me too dopey at low doses and hyper at higher ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys
I took remeron for five months. It was awful. I never had panic and anxiety until I started it. Now two years later, I have constant low grade anxiety. I used to get full fledge attacks with hyperventilation while on remeron and for a few months after going off of it. They think it caused some nerve damage. Also, they took me off cold turkey and I wound up in the hospital for a week with severe diarrhea and nausea and headaches. By the way, those effects started the second day off the medicine. I truly thought I was going to die. I hyperventilated for four hours til they finally gave me some lomotil and xanax. Now, I am on xanax still. So, I'm doing the roller coaster ride of trying to get off of that. I pretty much hate all meds. I couldn't take any of the ssri's. They all cause severe nausea and diarrhea to the point where I became dehydrated and again landed in the hospital. They got to know me really well over there in the course of a couple of years. And yes, celexa is an ssri. That one was one of the worst ones for me, but some people do really great on it. I've come to the conclusion that drugs aren't the answer. I've done CBT and it really works. I will probably have to do it again though as I am now weaning the xanax and feeling pretty sick on some days. Just my thoughts for you. I really don't think remeron is a very good drug. It works the opposite of the other ones. Made me too dopey at low doses and hyper at higher ones.
Hi Luvmyboys-
Sorry to hear about your awful experience with remeron. I can't believe they had you stop cold turkey as that is just insane in my opinion I am glad that you are having success with CBT. It changed my life and I have incorporated many of the tools into my routine and it really pays great dividends as the skills become more and more automatic over time if you keep practicing the tools I am feeling better and better all the time

Billy

Old 03-29-2004, 01:23 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
Hi Scott-
I hope CBT can be the answer for you. Billy
Hi Billy....cheers for the words. I'm sure there was a small element of me being upset that my body was so physically screwed up from the virus. It's still hanging around by the way but only mildly now. It can take up to a year or more to be rid of its effects - just unbelievable how you can just wake up with something like this. But there is a massive percentage of the anxiety driven and fuelled by the vertigo/inner ear upset. It makes you feel like you're running from an axe-murderer or something...it's that full on when it's bad! What I found is that while this thing can set it off, my mind can also switch it off, or at least reduce the effect if I can learn the tools to do so. I've done it once or twice by distraction. It sounds easy enough but man it's hard to do at times. Anyway, I ordered the book you mentioned and will see how it goes.

Cheers.....Scott

Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #20
(female)

~Kris~ HB User

Fruitloop,
Although it's very hard, I think you are doing the right thing by weaning off Remeron...especially since it's not doing it's job.
It probably will be a roller coaster ride until it's all out of your system, but maybe afterwards you will find something that works.
After getting over the withdrawals of effexor, I actually felt better off of the drug than when I was on my regular dose. I was on it for 4 years but I feel like the last 6 months was a complete waste. I didn't realize it was the drug causing all kinds of physical symptoms. I wasted a lot of money on having tests run. Atleast I know what to expect if a med stops working now.
Just take it slow and you'll do fine.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:59 AM   #21
Inactive

fruitloop HB User

Hi All.
Thanks for your replies they are hopeful to me.
Well everything was OK untill i dropped from 15mg - 7.5mg and all hell let loose on the first day!!! Depression set in like i have not had in months and months Sickness and i just cannott keep my eyes open , i have had to take time of work for the first time in months.
Is the Depression part of Withdrawal? i know it sound a silly question but as i slowly weaned down from 45mg i never got any worse (depression wise, although not a great deal better) All of a sudden this last little drop (its like being right at the edge of the light in the tunnel and then loosing your footing) its hit me like a steam train.
I am in a right state and am now wondereing whether this is the last big part of the withdrawal or do i REALLY need this drug.
Sleep! Sleep ! Sleep! thats whats happening plus depression and nausea when i wake.
I took a second opinion from a doctor who has only given me a 30% chance of being cured if i come off but has told me come off anyway so he can subscribe something else.
Now i feel like going down to nothing (whats 7.5 doing anyway!) and going for it! and if i need another Med then so be it!
If i drop to nothing how long can i expect untill it gets out of my system to no whether i have cracked it?
And is Depression actually part of Withdrawal?

I thankyou all for your help , its always good to here on here from people who really care.

Fruitloop.

Closed Thread