It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 AM   #1

Worrytomuch HB User
Can anyone relate to these symptoms?

I went on Zoloft about 4 years ago to treat depression. It helped me feel better however, eventually it made me just feel nothing at all. Although I didn't feel the heavy weight of depression anymore, I also didn't feel any of the good feelings I used to experience. I didn't get excited about anything, I had absolutly no sex drive, I didn't feel like giving or receiving any type of affection whatsoever. So, although I wasn't crying all the time anymore, I also lost every quality that I beleive made me who I am. I just felt nothing.

So I decided to wean myself off of Zoloft. For a year things were good. I felt like myself again and my depression was still there but very manageable. Then it started getting worse to the point where I eventually went back to the doctor and was put on Paxil this time. I've been on it for a year and I am starting to get the "nothing" feeling again. The worst part is that I have a wonderful boyfriend who I Know I'm going to looses if I don't get some feeling back. Its not just about sex (although I do miss that like crazy). Its about my overall attitude. I just don't care about anything... I could win the lottery and not give a damn. My grandmother has been very sick and before I went on meds this would have torn me apart. But now, I can't even bring myself to cry. I think that I rather feel sad than feel nothing. At least then I know who I am.

My question is, has anyone had this experience with anti-depressants? If so, do you have any advise for me (I could sure use it)? I heard that Wellbutrin is suppose to be milder and not have any sexual side effects. Has anyone switched from Paxil or Zoloft to Wellbutrin? If so, how is it going?

I want to go off of Paxil but I don't want to wean off of it just to fall back on it in a year. My derpression really isn't that bad. I've never had suicidal thoughts or anything like that. It is bad enough to effect my life though so I know I can't just ignore it. My dosage for Paxil is only 12.5 mg. I have tried seeing a therapist, but it wasn't for me.

Any advice that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: Can anyone relate to these symptoms?

Yeah, I had that with Lexapro. It worked for a few months, then I had that "nothing" feeling for a couple months, then it stopped working and my depression came back worse than it had been before. Instead of switching gmeds, my psychiatrist added Welbutrin, and after 2 weeks of side effects, the Welbutrin and Lexapro learned to play nicely together, and I was fine for another few months.

(I'm starting to feel down again, although I have so many work and health and home and family and money problems, I don't know if it's the meds failing or the external causes. Or both. My bet's on the sinus infection, though.)

Sometimes a combination of meds works a lot better than one. The ones you have been on affect Serotonin. Welbutrin affects Dopamine. Sometimes you have to treat both. One of my friends was on Celexa and Welbutrin together for like 5 years, and never had any trouble and all. (He wouldn't have quit but his insurance ran out.)

Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #3

IMMISERABLE HB User

Worrytomuch,
That sounds like a story I'm familiar with. I have been married for about 5 1/2 years and have a son who will be 4 next month. Out of the blue my wife decided that we would be better off divorced. No counseling or seperation. I convinced her to try seperating. She told me she hasn't been happy for a few years. She started acting funny after our son was born so she went to her Dr and he prescribed Paxil. Thats when things started to get bad. The sex was few & far between and for her it was painful. It was all downhill from there. I think if she would of changed her prescription we wouldn't be where we are now. I am now sufferring from depression. I have never felt so low in my life. She says I'm a great father and she loves me & respects me but she doesn't love me the way married people should. I blame myself for letting it go so long without addressing the problem. I am trying my hardest to work it out. But it's tough to do when you just don't feel like yourself anymore.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #4

Tanki HB User

Yes Zoloft can cause low sex drive, alot of pills can. It did for me for awhile, I was on it for 7 yrs and it did help until well 7 yrs later.... so I stopped them at the end of 2003 and went on celexa, that made me feel like crap so stopped meds all together for 3 days to clean out my system and to see how i'd react with out medication since I was on meds since I was 16.. I crashed..

One antidepressant that does not have an sexual side effects is Remeron. That is what I am on now and it has done me wonders. The side effects are so much more less then other anti depressants.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #5

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks for your replies. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me to start taking paxil every other day for a week and then stop all together. Does this sound like a good way to wean off? I'm only on 12.5mg. I'm nervous because I've heard horror stories about withdrawal symptoms. He did say that if any symtoms of depression come back he will put me on Wellbutrin which is not supose to have as many side effects.

IMMISERABLE,
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I don't know what her situation is but I can say that paxil has made me feel that same way about my boyfriend. I love him with all my heart. We've been together for 3 years and have shared a great freindship and we've always had a great sex life. Then one day out of the clear blue I forgot how to love someone in a way that you should love someone you are in a relationship with. (okay, maybe a little more gradual than that, but it happened fast). It has nothing to do with him. Honestly, Brad Pitt could show up at my door and I wouldn't look twice - haha
And like I said, it's not just about sex. Its about not wanting to give or receive any type of affection whatsoever. I'm just not me anymore. I used to be a very caring person and now I don't seem to care about anything.

I'm not trying to say that SSRI's are bad. I know a lot of people that they have done wonders for. I just don't like the effect they have on me personally.

I do hope that everything works out with your wife. Try to talk to her and see how she really feels. Does she know what she wants for sure or does she just not care? If she just doesn't care I would definatly beleive it has something to do with the Paxil. But that's just me speaking from my own experiences. I am no expert by any means :-)
Good luck!

Old 03-24-2004, 12:33 PM   #6

Tanki HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me to start taking paxil every other day for a week and then stop all together. Does this sound like a good way to wean off? I'm only on 12.5mg. I'm nervous because I've heard horror stories about withdrawal symptoms. He did say that if any symtoms of depression come back he will put me on Wellbutrin which is not supose to have as many side effects.

Ok this bothers me a bit, is your doctor lowering the dose of paxil during the week to ween you off? If not that bothers me because that is not the proper way to get off any medication, you could have terrible withdrawals.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #7

Worrytomuch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanki
Ok this bothers me a bit, is your doctor lowering the dose of paxil during the week to ween you off? If not that bothers me because that is not the proper way to get off any medication, you could have terrible withdrawals.
I'm only on 12.9 mg. I think that's the lowest it can be. He just said to take one every other day instead of daily like I have been. After a week of taking one every other day, he said to stop completely. I'm nervous because I know that when I would accidently forget to take one I would experience horrible headaches and get extremely tired. I hope that doesn't last too long.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

clinda HB User
Thumbs up Re: Can anyone relate to these symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrytomuch
I'm only on 12.9 mg. I think that's the lowest it can be. He just said to take one every other day instead of daily like I have been. After a week of taking one every other day, he said to stop completely. I'm nervous because I know that when I would accidently forget to take one I would experience horrible headaches and get extremely tired. I hope that doesn't last too long.

Worry...I just weaned off of 50 mg Zoloft and on to Wellbutrin SR. It took me exactly 4 weeks to get the Wellbutrin into my system. At about 3 weeks, I tried to go two days without the 25 mg Zoloft and had an anxiety attack that I never want to go through again. But, the Wellbutrin was not quite in my system good enough to go two days without the Zoloft. I've now been off the Zoloft for 5 days and the Wellbutrin is taking care of things quite nicely. My appetite has decreased considerably...I'm losing weight finally....not alot yet but I'm on my way. Thank the Good Lord. Hang in there and don't try to wean off the 12.9mg too fast..it may take you 4 full weeks also!

Good luck and hang tight...you'll make it!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #9

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks everyone. I have done some research on weaning off of Paxil and I think I'll take your advise and take things a little slower. I'll start taking one every other day and then maybe one every 3 days... I have the controlled release capsules so I don't think I should break them in half.

Going by what people on this board have mentioned, Wellbutrin seems like a miracle drug. I hope it works for me like it has for others. I could really use some help quitting smoking also :-)

Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #10

dagmarharris HB User

[QUOTE=Worrytomuch]
YOU WROTE:
...Its about not wanting to give or receive any type of affection whatsoever. I'm just not me anymore. I used to be a very caring person and now I don't seem to care about anything.

....I'm not trying to say that SSRI's are bad. I know a lot of people that they have done wonders for. I just don't like the effect they have on me personally. ------

DAGMAR WRITES:
I have never heard this on a AD, but I guess everyone is different. I am on Celexa, and though the sex drive is lower, I still crave affection. I work with kids and a hug makes you feel like a million bucks! Just knowing that someone thinks your special. I guess I am fortunate.
I also love a massage!!
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 03-25-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #11

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanki

One antidepressant that does not have an sexual side effects is Remeron. That is what I am on now and it has done me wonders. The side effects are so much more less then other anti depressants.

I wish you the best of luck.
I have heard Remeron causes weight gain? Have you gained? I have on Celexa, but I heard that Remeron is worse.
Curious,
dagmar

Old 03-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #12
Mara

[QUOTE=IMMISERABLE]
Could you both try counceling? Depression can change people but please don't give up on her. Is moving out the answer? Depression is a turbulant storm you have to ride out. If she became dispondent after starting that medication it could be due to that. When I was getting sick and the depression kicked in, it turned everything upside down. The thing is if you love each other (can't go by someone depressed, they are not themselves) don't give up and not just because you have a child but because you both need help. Some people withdraw (like me) and that may be part of what's happening with her...

Old 03-26-2004, 08:27 AM   #13

Tanki HB User

dagmarharris

I do not think I gained, i might have a little bit, but i've always been under 100 lbs so gaining a couple wouldn't be bad. I know of people who have gotten over weight, only because they didn't manage their diet and just ate junk all day.

Last edited by Tanki; 03-26-2004 at 08:28 AM.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarharris
I have heard Remeron causes weight gain? Have you gained? I have on Celexa, but I heard that Remeron is worse.
Curious,
dagmar
I gained on Remeron but it was not that bad. The main side effect I experienced was I needed a lot more sleep

Billy

Closed Thread