It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #1

RockyTopTN HB User
The new FDA list of antidepressants that may cause suicidal thoughts

This was released today. Does this scare the crap out of anyone else?
There are 10 popular antidepressants on that list, consisting of paxil, prozac, zoloft, remeron, celexa, wellbutrin and some others that the FDA is suggested be labeled for possible suicidal thoughts, along with additional panic attacks, anxiety, etc.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Re: The new FDA list of antidepressants that may cause suicidal thoughts

Only now they decide to inform the public and make it common knowledge? Anyone who really wanted to be aware of this information (among other problems) could have already discovered it on their own. Seek and you shall find.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #3

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTopTN
Well if I just trusted what you say, maybe.

Quote from one of the articles:
"U.S. health officials are studying whether antidepressants can make children and teenagers suicide-prone but have not yet reached a conclusion."

Why didn't you mention that it is only for those under 18? Sensationalizing?

NOTE: have not yet reached a conclusion. You make it sound as if it's fact! Besides the majority of people are given anti-depressants because they have suicidal thoughts in the first place.

The 10 anti-depresants:
Solvay's Luvox
Pfizer's Zoloft
GlaxoSmithKline Wellbutrin
GlaxoSmithKline Zyban
GlaxoSmithKline Paxil
Forest Laboratories Inc.'s Celexa
Akzo Nobel's Remeron
Bristol-Myers Squibb's Serzone
Eli Lilly and Co.'s Prozac
Wyeth's Effexor

Old 03-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I've actually read that a few places although nothing from the FDA, but I've known 7 other people who have been on andtidepressants, which means with my experience that's personal experience with 9 different antidepressants, and not one of us has had any suicidal thoughts while on them.

So to answer your question, no, it doesn't scare the crap out of me.

The people I have met on line who have had suicidal thoughts while on antidepressants have all been bipolar and should not have been on them in the first place.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #5

possum HB User

"British health authorities sounded the alarm last year, saying long-suppressed research suggests certain antidepressants might sometimes increase the risk of suicidal behavior in children and teenagers. Because only one drug, Prozac, has been proven to alleviate pediatric depression, Britain declared others -- drugs called SSRIs and their close relatives -- unsuitable for depressed youth."

The British study concludes that Prozac may increase the risk of an existing condition, then goes on to say all related drugs are suspect.

I started taking Prozac recently to treat nausea, lightheadness, indecisiveness and suicidal tendencies. While the drug has lessened the thoughts, along with irritability, anxiety, etc. the symptoms haven't completely disappeared, so I still get suicidal thoughts, but I'm certain it's not because of Prozac.

I can't find the reference to suicides on Prozac, but the document said something like:
Prozac will help in TWO areas: 1. Energy Levels and 2. Mood

If a peson taking Prozac has their 1. Energy Level restored BEFORE their 2. (suicidal) Mood, they now have the energy and the will to kill themselves. Well that's the theory.

I certainly believe that Prozac is dangerous when you first start taking it if your suicidal. Since there is no way of knowing what a person is thinking or feeling, all people starting on Prozac should be monitored. Not easy in practice, but if it saves just one life ...

Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #6

possum HB User

"In February, parents pleaded with the FDA at public meetings to add such warnings for children and teenagers. Today's action, however also includes adults."

So now it's adults aswell according to another article ...

I wish they would get their act together. This is the only article mentioning adults in the last 6 I've read, the rest only mention those under 18.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User

I read
Quote:
It isn't clear yet that the drugs actually do lead to suicide, the FDA stressed. After all, depression itself can lead to suicide.

But until that is settled, advisers to the FDA called last month for stronger warnings to doctors and parents that the antidepressants may cause agitation, anxiety and hostility in a subset of patients who may be unusually prone to rare side effects.

On Monday, the FDA followed its advisers' recommendation and issued a public health advisory putting doctors, patients, families and other caregivers on notice to be particularly vigilant for signs of worsening depression or suicidal thoughts at the beginning of anti-depressant therapy or whenever the dose is changed.
It really doesn't scare me for my own sake. I don't have suicidal thoughts and never have. But of course I am concerned for the public at large.

I can see how a youngster (or adult) could begin to take one of these meds during a real bad low and be pushed further into a low... and do the unthinkable. As we all know from this board, -everybody- responds differently to these medications. And given the volatility of youth, it seems particularly risky for that group.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #8

BethyM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTopTN
There are 10 popular antidepressants on that list, consisting of paxil, prozac, zoloft, remeron, celexa, wellbutrin and some others that the FDA is suggested be labeled for possible suicidal thoughts, along with additional panic attacks, anxiety, etc.
hmmm...perhaps if you are not in therapy at the same time as starting an AD that can increase your chances of feeling "suicidal".... I dont think its always the best situation for a family doc to just prescribe an AD to someone who needs really needs counseling...But I know that happens a lot....For me, Zoloft along with therapy took away my suicidal thoughts......

Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Yes, it happened to me. I tried the big "S" in 1998, I had been on Paxil for 3 yrs. and became so "numb' my husband walked out on me. I ended up in the hospital 2#'s. But I must admit, booze does the same thing to me if I am in a depressed mood before I drink. I can drink socially and be fine but if I am alone and depressed I start thinking S thoughts. I would never think of suicide when I am sober but I did when I was on paxil.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal
Yes, it happened to me. I tried the big "S" in 1998, I had been on Paxil for 3 yrs. and became so "numb' my husband walked out on me. I ended up in the hospital 2#'s. But I must admit, booze does the same thing to me if I am in a depressed mood before I drink. I can drink socially and be fine but if I am alone and depressed I start thinking S thoughts. I would never think of suicide when I am sober but I did when I was on paxil.
It sounds to me more like the Paxil stopped working than that it caused these thoughts. I read ten articles on this, and they all say the studies show that the suicide risk is within the first 2 weeks of starting the antidepressants, not after long-term use.

I was on Lexapro 9 months and after a while it made me "numb" and then it stopped working and I started having suicidal thoughts.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #11

RockyTopTN HB User

The article I read mentioned nothing about just for people under 18.
Besides, there isn't a big difference in 17 and 19.

Closed Thread