It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #1

IMMISERABLE HB User
Question How should I feel?

I'm here for the first time and I'm not sure how I should feel. I recently became seperated from my wife and she cannot tell me what I've done wrong.
It's been about 12 days since I moved out. About four days after I moved out I got to the point where I couldn't eat,sleep or think normal thoughts. I went to the emergency room to see a doctor and he gave me a prescription of Ativan to hold me over til I could see my regular doctor. I finally made it to my regular DR and he prescribed Welbutrin SR and gave me a refill on the Ativan. I have been taking the Welbutrin SR 150 mg since Friday. I started taking 2 doses as of yesterday. I am normally a very happy,cheerful and playful person but that is all gone now. I feel miserable. I don't know if a higher dosage will help but I would be willing to try. I just dont know how I should feel but I don't think this is working.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: How should I feel?

You've been separated for 12 days and you want to know how you should feel? You should feel depressed. It's going to take a while to feel better. Meds may help a bit, but they won't change your circumstances. You should really be seeing a counselor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 07:19 AM   #3

awkward HB User

When I broke up with my boyfriend of three years, I became very depressed - in spite of my meds, which had worked so well before. I thought about going to the doctor, but I realized that I was supposed to feel the way I was feeling. The meds actually were working - I was not suicidal.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

i know exactly what you are going through. i just broke up with my boyfriend of two years and yes, i feel like crap, but i don't think it's anything that meds can fix. i've been going to counseling and it's helping a lot. you should try counseling too. basically you need to just work through this on your own, give it a lot of time. it's only been 12 days, it's ok to feel this down and out. but over time things will get better and these feelings will eventually start to lift. just hang in there, we're here for you.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #5

IMMISERABLE HB User

Thank you for listening. Theres alot more to my story and maybe I can tell you more as I get time. I have never been on any type of medication so I din't know what to expect. I guess I was looking for a miracle. I forgot to mention that I miss my son. He will be four next month. I feel like I'm falling apart and I can't do anything about it. I hope it gets better soon.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

CoreyP HB User

Hey bud,

I have been where you are. Couldn't eat sleep or function. It does get better. The problem with anti-depressents, (not a doctor). IS they take time to build up in your system. I took prozac, it took about a month, for the medicine to start working. So right now, I think you just need to wait it out. Try and sleep, take walks, exercise, and tell yourself that the pain WILL subside, it will go away. Just need to take it right now. Try and pass the time. You will be fine. Maybe it would help more if you told us more.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #7

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMISERABLE
I have been taking the Welbutrin SR 150 mg since Friday. I started taking 2 doses as of yesterday. I am normally a very happy,cheerful and playful person but that is all gone now. I feel miserable.
Firstly, I'm in a similar situation with my wife leaving recently aswell.

I feel miserable about that aswell.

As for taking an anti-depressant to calm an emotion, please be very very careful. It's my understanding that anti-depressants are for chemical imbalances which cause clinical depression.

I'm on anti-depressants for a condition I had for many years, with many symptoms of clinical depression present for months if not years at the time I started taking them.

Please don't rush into anything, as it may not be the right treatment for you. If you have suicidal thoughts, please go see your doctor immediately.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #8

Tanki HB User

I am sorry that you are having a rough time right now..

Take gentle care.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

First of all, any anti-depressant is not going to help you within a few days. If you want instant help, then ask you doctor for a benzo type med, like xanax, ativan, Klonopin etc. They work NOW, but have short lives, can work for 4 hours or 8 hours, but they do wear off & you feel that it has worn off.
Do some reading about anti-depressants. They have to build up in your system & any of them can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to fully kick in. Taking a higher dose at this time is not going to help or do any good.
You are suffering from situational depression, which may go away once you get over the hurt of the seperation. Since it sounds like you were not on meds or had this before, you may only have to take meds to help you thru this initial period of adjustment.
But, like I said, for something to work right now, you need a benzo.
I can't say I know how you feel, I do not, but I can tell you that coming here & talking about it is a huge help. We've all been rejected at some time in our lives, but you also say you have a son who is almost 4. I cannot imagine my sons being seperated from their kids. It is hard, you will have horrible days, but keep in contact with your doctor & get on some meds that can help you now.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:21 AM   #10

IMMISERABLE HB User

Thanks again for listening. I have a few ativan left and they help some. I can't seem to think pleasant thoughts anymore. My marriage problems have nothing to do with infidelity but I can't convince myself of this, so I keep having unpleasant thoughts that are not true. The part that hurts me most in the whole situation is when my son mentions my "sad face". If someone dies you burry them and start healing but this is different. I realized this morning that thers a lot of alone time that I never noticed before. I know I'm babbling but I cant seem to stay on one subject or thought.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #11

prettyboi22 HB User

OK the strange thing is ur doctor perscirbed wellburtian and not zoloft or lexapro or paxil the thing is i wanted my doctor to perscribe me wellbutrian so bad but she insisted that it would NOt help with my problems and that it wasnt strong enough for it

Old 03-25-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboi22
OK the strange thing is ur doctor perscirbed wellburtian and not zoloft or lexapro or paxil the thing is i wanted my doctor to perscribe me wellbutrian so bad but she insisted that it would NOt help with my problems and that it wasnt strong enough for it
It's not a question of "strong enough." Welbutrin acts on Dopamine and the other drugs you mentioned are all involved with Serotonin. Entirely different effects. Welbutrin can increase anxiety; the others should reduce it. If you have anxiety problems, that is probably why your doctor wouldn't prescribe it.

Last edited by Crossbow; 03-25-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:02 AM   #13

IMMISERABLE HB User

Crossbow,
You are alot more experienced with these medications than I am, so I have a question. What do you think of the combination I'm taking of Welbutrin & Ativan?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMISERABLE
Crossbow,
You are alot more experienced with these medications than I am, so I have a question. What do you think of the combination I'm taking of Welbutrin & Ativan?
Heh. Well, if you're taking them, then you know more than I do! But it sort of makes sense; Welbutrin can cause antiety, and Ativan reduces anxiety.

I don't know anything about Ativan other than that it's a benzodiazepine, and benzos are often addictive. It's related to Xanax, which I do take, but not often enough to say anything about how well it works with my Welbutrin. I can't find anything that tells me what neurotransmitter it works with, though. Welbutrin isn't listed as one of the drugs that interacts with it. Do a search on "Benzodiazepines" and you'll get a lot of information.

Closed Thread