It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 02:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Unhappy Some questions

I'm engaged to be married (not until July 2006), and currently going through a depressed episode-type thing (I've written on here before about possibly being manic depressive because sometimes I'm TOTALLY depressed, and then on some days I'm just fine, or happier than I really feel I have reason to be..). Anyways, tonight I was very upset and crying, and I called my fiance, because I felt as though I may be a danger to myself (I'm also a cutter), and he told me flat out that I need to "buck up". I believe he really thinks that I can just turn this off and on when I want to, and I know that he wouldn't be interested in reading any websites, books, and I've explained to him that this is not a choice. He is just extremely unsensitive about this topic, and sometimes when I'm depressed to the point where I want to cut, he says that he's just going to take me to the hospital. Sometimes I believe him, but other times I think he's just bluffing... He's never actually done it. What would happen to me if he did? Could he have me committed without my own consent? Or do I have to agree to being put into the psych. ward? What would they do with me? I just can't believe how unsensitive he is. A lot of the times he makes it worse for me--if he was just nice, and acted like he cared, and didn't get angry and annoyed with me, it would make me feel a lot better. Now I don't want to call him when I'm feeling I may cut because he only makes matters worse. When we started dating 2 and a half years ago, I was on anti depressants (which made me gain weight so I refuse to go on them again--if I went on them and gained weight, I'd be depressed anyways because I know how hard it is to lose ad weight) but when I took myself off about a year and a half ago, he knew of the possibility that I may become depressed again, so I don't know why he's not being at all supportive. He really wants me to see somebody, but I really don't want to right now. I know he loves me, but why does he have to make things so much harder than they already are? I've explained things to him, I think things are just too much for him to deal with.... Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: Some questions

First question:
How can you possibly be even thinking of marrying someone who thinks you can just turn off your depression? This is showing a really basic lack of respect for you and your feelings. He needs to educate himself about depression - and if he's not willing to do it, then he's not any good for you.

No one can have you comitted against your will unless you are a danger to yourself or others.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskersOnKittens
I'm engaged to be married...I just can't believe how unsensitive he is. A lot of the times he makes it worse for me...he only makes matters worse...I know he loves me, but why does he have to make things so much harder than they already are? ....
Hi Whiskers! I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but you need to go back and reread these words that you've written. Then, as Crossbow said, I think you really should re-evaluate why you are in this relationship.

I'm not sure, but threatening to cut yourself *might* be considered enough of a physical danger to yourself that you could be held against your will...

Closed Thread