It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
New EffexorXR user in search of moral support!

Hi, I haven't been around here for a little while, but after an unsuccessful three months on Zoloft (didn't really help, could never sleep, felt sexually numb), I've been switched to EffexorXR (75 mg)... I was just wondering what I should expect in terms of side effects, and when I should expect to see an improvement. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #2

mattj949 HB User
Re: New EffexorXR user in search of moral support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKScully
Hi, I haven't been around here for a little while, but after an unsuccessful three months on Zoloft (didn't really help, could never sleep, felt sexually numb), I've been switched to EffexorXR (75 mg)... I was just wondering what I should expect in terms of side effects, and when I should expect to see an improvement. Thanks!

I'm new to Effexor XR (75mg) also. I am about halfway thru my 3rd week. Other than the problems with my vision and problems urinating, it has been fine for me. I do feel alot better, less "worried" and more motivated to get things done that I always put off until the last minute.

Of course this may not be the case for you but Zoloft also did nothing for me, so maybe we are similar.

The biggest worry I have about the Effexor is if I have to be weaned off it. The side-effects from discontinuation of Effexor I hear are really bad... so hoping I don't have to go off it.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj949
I'm new to Effexor XR (75mg) also. I am about halfway thru my 3rd week. Other than the problems with my vision and problems urinating, it has been fine for me. I do feel alot better, less "worried" and more motivated to get things done that I always put off until the last minute.

Of course this may not be the case for you but Zoloft also did nothing for me, so maybe we are similar.

The biggest worry I have about the Effexor is if I have to be weaned off it. The side-effects from discontinuation of Effexor I hear are really bad... so hoping I don't have to go off it.

Good luck to you.
Hi, thanks for writing! Wow, it would be nice if this worked... Did you have problems getting off the Zoloft at all? At what point did you start to feel better? I hope you get things figured out with your vision problems and that the Effexor continues to help you feel better!

Thanks again.

Noel

Old 03-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Hi there!

I was on Effexor XR for 4 months (150 mg). I previously had tried Wellbutrin and Paxil CR, both of which I had horrible, horrible side effects. Yes, the Paxil actually made me suicidal (but that is another story).

The only side effect I had with Effexor XR was a head ache sometimes. Not a regular headache, but a head 'ache' if I turned my head to fast. After a while, that stopped too. I can't say enough about Effexor though because it worked wonders for me.

I am now coming off of it. I was terrified because of all the 'horror' stories that I heard about the withdrawl. Just keep in mind that everyone is different.

I am now on my second day of no pill. However, yesterday early evening, I opened up one of the pills and took some of the balls. My doctor suggested that if I just needed a little something. That seemed to do the trick.

I can't wait to be done with this completely. But I won't forget that it helped me through one of the hardest 6 months of my life.

Good luck to you!
Trooper

Old 03-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #5

google2007 HB User

I have been taking effexor xr for about 2 months. The first 3 weeks I was on 37.5mg then it was upped to 75mg. It has helped. I really dont have any side effects from it but occassional upset stomach. So make sure you take it with food. As far as when will you tell if it was working. Remember, each person is different, I noticed an improvent in about 5 weeks. I do monitor my blood pressure, due to that can be a side effect of this med. So far, So good with me and effexor.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #6

PeggyHarmon HB User

I've been on it for 3 weeks. I have had days where I only took 37.5 and then days I took 2 pills at once, as the Doc said to. But after reading that it leaves your system 5-6 hrs, I decided to take one 37.5 in morning, one at 12:30 each day and level it out. This has really helped. I am having flucation of b/sugar. Craving it, and any thing. I am having to be very careful with my food intake. After reading the horror stories about it and weight gain I want to be cautious on it. I can honestly say that I was on Wellburtrin years ago, had an allergic reaction so got off it. Then Paxil, and this is the best meds I've had. I am "UP" ya know. I get up in the morning with energy, have little trouble settling to sleep but she prescribed a small dose of restoril to help that. I've had positive results, and am happier than I've been in months, maybe years.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyHarmon
I've been on it for 3 weeks. I have had days where I only took 37.5 and then days I took 2 pills at once, as the Doc said to. But after reading that it leaves your system 5-6 hrs, I decided to take one 37.5 in morning, one at 12:30 each day and level it out. This has really helped. I am having flucation of b/sugar. Craving it, and any thing. I am having to be very careful with my food intake. After reading the horror stories about it and weight gain I want to be cautious on it. I can honestly say that I was on Wellburtrin years ago, had an allergic reaction so got off it. Then Paxil, and this is the best meds I've had. I am "UP" ya know. I get up in the morning with energy, have little trouble settling to sleep but she prescribed a small dose of restoril to help that. I've had positive results, and am happier than I've been in months, maybe years.
Wow, you've been on it for three weeks and already feel "up"? That's great news! I'm supposed to take 37.5 for the first week and then after that I'll be up to 75. I didn't know it leaves your system after 5-6 hours, where did you hear that? Do you think I should take it in the morning instead of at night, then? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #8

PeggyHarmon HB User

i research effexor on the net and i believe it was a medical release just read everything off net search on it and found that it leaves your system or is known to within 6 hrs. My dr told me to take 2 pills at the same time 37.5 to get the 75 mg. but after reading what I did I split it up because my jaw was clinching so bad with both pills taken at the same time. It has helped me splitting it up. You might try it a few days see how you react.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #9

mattj949 HB User

EffexorXR does not leave your system in 5-6 hours. The normal Effexor does. Hence the XR.

I am on the tail-end of my 3rd week. I feel alot more up too. My vision is completely screwed up at night though.

Not sure what I am going to do.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
(female)

Do you wear contacts, Matt? Just wondering, I do and I've heard a lot of people have issues with contacts when on this stuff, and some people have actually injured their cornea by trying to remove lenses when their eyes are dry. I hope you figure something out, good luck!

Old 03-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #11

Tacitus HB User

Having tried several other anti-depressants, Effexor XR worked best for me - the only bothersome side-effect for me was excessive sweating (which didn't work too well in business meetings!).

I had no problems while ramping up to 225mg, but be careful not to miss a daily dose or you'll probably start feeling the effects of withdrawal - for me I would start to notice them about 36 hours after the last dose - and if you do start to suffer, don't wait till your usual time to take the next dose. If you take the next dose immediately, you should quickly start to feel better - just be sure to wait at least another 24 hours before the next dose!

The main problem I have had is coming off Effexor. Even though I have tapered off over a long period - at least three weeks each at 150mg, 75mg, and 37.5mg - the final step - 0mg - which happened a week ago still got me with mild nausea and the infamous "brain shivers". Last time I came off it took over a month to rid myself of the withdrawal effects.

But, apart from the moderately discomforting withdrawl, Effexor XR did the trick for me. It got me over a difficult time in my life and it was worth the current discomfort of withdrawal (as long as it doesn't continue for too long!)

Good luck,

Tacitus

Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #12

mattj949 HB User

I don't wear contact lenses. I did have LASIK though. I also am having the sweating problem now too. I am one of those people that "doesn't sweat" either so not sure how much of that I am willing to put up with.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 AM   #13

PeggyHarmon HB User

Hey you are correct about the XR. I too am having visional problems. I am already night blinded, but it seems really decreasing now on Effexor. I didn't take it yesterday, as I felt good, and wanted to see how it effected me. I barely crawled out of bed today...I popped them by 7am to get going. I am amazed how fast it does affect you when you don't take a dose. But my spirit and energy is returning, and I find myself restless wanting more things to do with myself at home. Housework is getting done LOL.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #14

mattj949 HB User

I have been more motivated to get things done since I started Effexor. I have been self-employed for the last 2 years and have taken a major cut in pay because of it, and have racked up alot of debt. My financial problems are very very depressing and I have thought about going out and finding a regular job again but kept putting it off. Since starting the Effexor, I find myself less worried about money and I have started putting my resume out again. I hope I can find a job soon.

In regards to my vision, my problem is my pupil size. Taking Effexor has caused them to become more dialated, therefore I can see into the "lasik treatment area" and get all kinds of distortions and fuzzy streaks off of lights. I also take Concerta for ADHD and I am sure that is making it worse as well. I was taking 450mg of Wellbutrin XL as well but doc cut that down to 150 as of today to see if that helps. Seems the norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors cause this problem with dialation of eyes. Effexor and Wellbutrin are both strong in the norepinephrine department.

Closed Thread