It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 09:02 AM   #1

needmylifeback HB User
Question Effexor no longer works and I'm scared

I had tried about every other depression pill and none helped, so in 6/2000 my dr. put me on Effexor. I had an almost immediate improvement. I felt so good!!! He was suprised how fast it had worked because I was only on the first week of 75mg (had started with the 37.5 the first week). Well a few months ago I could tell it was no longer working. So, now I see a different dr. and he upped it to 150mg. Still, no change. This pill was the only one that had ever helped me, now it isn't. I feel scared to change, not to mention I get so sick when it is not in my system, I know it would have to be a slow process if I went off of it. I wonder, does anyone think I should just try a higher doseage? Or I just read a thread that said some were on this and Wellbutrin. I know I need to see my dr, I am just looking for feedback before I do. I'm really tired of not enjoying my life. I have three beautiful, smart, loving sons that I should be able to have the time of my life with. I remember feeling this way in 2000 too and I got my miracle then, it just didn't last. Any input? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM   #2

needmylifeback HB User
Re: Effexor no longer works and I'm scared

Also, I forgot to add, I am having a horrible time with what I believe is Social Anxiety Disorder now too. I believe a lot of what I have been through the past years has caused this but it is very depression related at the same time. I know this is clinical depression, it is present in my family. I would just assume stay in my house and never go out, and when I am out I feel the whole world is looking at me, saying ha ha, look at her, she is worthless, and everyone is better than I am. My ex husband really knows how to make me feel like I am dirt. He has told our children's classmates parents lies about me, I know it. When I have to go be around these people, I just want to die. It is an awful feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Often adding Welbutrin helps a lot. It did for me.

Another thing to consider is delivery method. My brother has been through at least 10 antidepressants and they all worked for a few months and then stopped. Then his doctor tried giving him one that's delivered by a patch, like those birth control and nicotine patches, and that works great.

When you swallow medicine, its first stop is the liver, which filters out as much as it can. For most people, that's fine. Turned out my brother has a liver 1/3 larger than normal and filters out too much of the meds. (I imagine this is why he's also never been drunk.)

Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
My brother has been through at least 10 antidepressants and they all worked for a few months and then stopped. Then his doctor tried giving him one that's delivered by a patch...
There's an antidepressant patch??? Which antidepressant is it - haven't heard of this one? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #5

needmylifeback HB User

Thank you crossbow. I appreciate your reply. I don't think it is anything to do with my liver. I tried wellbutrin alone a long time ago, maybe the combo would work for me too. Thank you very much for replying to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
Often adding Welbutrin helps a lot. It did for me.

Another thing to consider is delivery method. My brother has been through at least 10 antidepressants and they all worked for a few months and then stopped. Then his doctor tried giving him one that's delivered by a patch, like those birth control and nicotine patches, and that works great.

When you swallow medicine, its first stop is the liver, which filters out as much as it can. For most people, that's fine. Turned out my brother has a liver 1/3 larger than normal and filters out too much of the meds. (I imagine this is why he's also never been drunk.)

Closed Thread