It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
(male)

Chezz HB User
Job Depression

I haven't posted on these boards for about 6 months. I've been unemployed during that time. How I became unemployed is a whole other story in itself. The job market stinks. It's really been depressing. Anybody else going through this that can share their frustrations?

Old 03-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran

JLKH HB User
Re: Job Depression

I'm not but my husband did for a loooong time recently. He lost his job in the ***.com crash. He spent a year unemployeed looking for work then got a couple short contract things then back on unemployment and then finally a job only now he hates it so bad he wishes he were layed off again. He's actually at an interview right now so fingers crossed.

But anyway, when he was unemployeed he went through a lot of depresion. It was really really bad. But it ebbed and flowed. I think my best advice would be for you to stay active. Don't just sit in front of the tv when you aren't job hunting. Find a hobby, read, do work around the house, stay busy. The thing is that once you do find work again (and you will) that you'll look back at being unemployeed and think "Man I should have used that time." I know that sounds weird but seriously if you stay stationary you'll start to think and then start to worry and then you'll get depressed. Keep your mind and body moving at all times. It'll help.

Also talk to your spouse if you are married about it. If not then talk to friends. Get some emotional support from those close to you. Also they can be good contacts for keeping eyes and ears open for job leads.

Good luck and stay strong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
(male)

Chezz HB User

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. I do have a part time job as a source of income. Unfortunately, I hate it. My unemployment ran out last week, and I decided to cut about $1200 a month in expenses by moving out of my apartment and moving in with my parents who just bought a new 2 bedroom house. I know it's going to be temporary (hopefully). What really bugs me about the situation is, I got screwed out of a job where I worked and as a result, I think I am living in denial of being unemployed. I should be there and since I am not, that is what is depressing.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 AM   #4

antoni HB User

Hi Chez,

I currently am unemployed. I had a high paying job which I quit because I hated it so much, the work, not getting along with co-workers, not having enough time off etc;

The bad thing is looking back, I just physically could no longer get up and go to work because I hated it so. But now, I can see THERE ARE SO FEW JOBS out there that my whole way of life is threatened--having to move out of my apartment, moving in with relatives to cut back on costs like you. I have alot of bitterness toward my former employer because I feel as though I was driven out by bad treatment.

What I do every day is go to the unemployment office, search jobs and send out resumes. I use the down time to read books or go to free concerts during the day. But for me, it has been JUST SO MUCH EMPTY TIME. People had told me too-- don't quit your job till you get another one. Now I know why people never leave jobs they hate because they may never get another one.

Also, I have NO FRIENDS or anyone whatsoever to support me. When I was younger at least there was some support group to give encouragement. BUt now, since there is nooone, there's the boards so I know I'm not alone. I just get thru day to day and try to keep busy -- see a movie, go to a concert, hang out and read at a cafe. People that are working may admire me not having to go to a job I hate.

I guess just keeping busy and trying not to think too negative may help.

A

Old 03-31-2004, 03:51 PM   #5

EVERYDAY SUNDAY HB User

well I've been there before. I wanted to die when I left my job. My job gave me an identity and without it, I felt lost. I was so depressed when I lost my job until I laid in bed for sometime. What is a man without a job? It's was so painful then.

Closed Thread