It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Please, I need help--Lexapro problem

Hi, everyone. I'm so sad, frustrated and discouraged. I have had so much success on Lexapro for depression. It saved my life.

I have been on it now for 7 months and I have gained 30 pounds. I really, really don't want to go off of it as it still works for my depression.

But the weight gain is almost too much to deal with. I can't stand it any more!

I start to diet and it's just so hard compared to what it was like when I would try to lose weight without the Lexapro. I never had problems losing weight before.

Does anyone have any ideas or encouraging words about this? I just don't know what to do.

Thanks so much!

Salty

Last edited by salty; 03-31-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #2

melliej19 HB User
Re: Please, I need help--Lexapro problem

I have never heard of anyone gaining weight with Lexapro...all the post I have read say they lost...I'd talk to your doctor about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #3

starlitgem HB User

I noticed weight gain on Lexapro too. Talk to your doctor about it.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:08 PM   #4

bastila HB User

I am on Lexapro and have not experinced weight gain. You might check how many calories you are consuming. It is very easy to eat more than you realize, especially when we are depressed. A nonactive person should eat about 1600-2000 calories a day. And generally to lose weight a person has to be consuming 1500 calories a day. That means about 500 calories per meal for three meals in a day. On a 2000 caloires that means a little less than 700 calories per meal for three meal in a day. I have to count every calorie that i put in my mouth to keep from gaining weight and maintain my weight.
Sincerely,
Bastila

Old 04-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you very much for your help.

Salty

Old 04-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #6

google321 HB User

lexapro stimulated my appetite. i didn't gain weight because i was extremely careful.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #7

chelann HB User

I too gained weight on Lexapro. I gained 17lbs in 4 months. I weaned myself off of it, Because I can't handle the weight gain, But now I am feeling and acting like a B*itch!!(again) My husband could tell I haven't been taking it, It is so hard being a depressed person, But being a fat depressed person is even harder!! I understand what you are going through! I think I am going to start just taking 5 mg, and see what happens. What are you taking now and for how long?

Old 04-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #8

penny_century HB User

Wow. I'm having just the opposite effect on Lexapro. No appetite at all. Before I'd eat anything in sight because I was ALWAYS hungry and depressed and now nothing really sounds appealing. I just went on the med about a week ago and it's kind of weirding me out because I've always had an appetite. I guess it's a good thing since I'd like to lose weight. It's also making me wired all the time and fidgety.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:42 AM   #9

msdragon109 HB User

I experienced the suppressed appetite at first too. However, although my appetite doesnt seem to have increased, I have gained some weight and have noticed swelling in my hands. I am not positive as to how many pounds I've gained, but I'm guessing about 15. I've been taking Lexapro going on three months. I too am considering going off of it. I did not have the "serious" depression some of you describe but was given Zoloft while going thru a divorce b/c I am a terrible insomniac (always have been, when my nest is ruffled) and was having trouble sleeping. Sure, I was going thru a tough time but I think I was already thru the rough part. My current DR changed me to Lexapro b/c he said it had less "sexual side effects, among other things". ( I was having headaches on the Zoloft. I see him in 2 weeks and I'm going to discuss with him going off the antidepressants altogether. If he says no, I think I will anyway. I have terrible memory problems and NO sex drive.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Another reason Welbutrin is often used with SSRIs like Lexapro is that Welbutrin supresses your appetite. You might try adding Welbutrin.

I gained 40# on Paxil. When I switched to Lexapro, I didn't lose any, but at least I stopped gaining.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi. I'm taking 5 mg., but sometimes I need 10 and I up it.
I can't live without it, I mean it does wonders for my mood.

I asked my dr. to put me on Wellbutrin as well to see if that might help. So far it hasn't.

It's awful feeling like this. I feel like a beached whale!

Salty

Old 04-25-2004, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi. That may go away unfortunately. I felt the same way the first week. It took months before the weight gain started.

I hope it doesn't do the same for you.

Salty

Old 04-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #13

spashop HB User

I gained ten pounds in 3 weeks after going on Lexapro, and I know for a certainty that it wasn't that I was eating more than usual, since I was keeping a food journal and can verify that I was eating very little. I had been on Prozac for over ten years before making the switch; it seemed that the Prozac wasn't working for me any longer. Anyway, after that horrifyingly swift weight gain, I switched back to Prozac, and have been having a tough time losing the weight I gained while on Lexapro. It's weird, because in the past when I've gone off of Prozac and then back on it again, I've always lost weight without even trying.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #14

bastila HB User

Have any of you have memory problems while taking lexapro? Is is like my brain is in a fog and I know i should know something, or i can only remember bits and parts. I know that being depressed causes some memory distrubance but what i am experincing seems more exagerated. I know i have read that some on welbutren have had sever memory problems. I am wondering if there may be similar side effects.
Bastila

Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Weight gain is relatively common with Lexapro. It can both slow your metabolism and increase your appetite. Usualy not as much as other SSRIs, but it can happen. That's one thing I found Welbutrin to help with - it decreases your appetite.

Closed Thread