It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 11:59 AM   #1

roocey HB User
Advice Please!

Hi, this is my first post here. I hope someone on this boards can help. Within the past year I have gained 30 lbs. I exercise 6 days a week, & eat healthy & can not lose weight. I feel SO TIRED all of the time. I am just completley fatigued always. I never have any energy. I went to an endo. He put me on thyroid med. Today was my 6 wk. checkup. I told him I still felt tired all the time & had only lost 2 lbs. after a month 1/2 of constant exercise & diet. He said my thyroid was o.k. He says I need to take celexa!! I told him I do not feel depressed. I have my days but everyone does. I told him I heard celexa makes ya gain weight & that was one of my problems. He thinks this will help w/ the energy. He says do not worry about the weight. That is hard to do when you are 5 ft. tall & 30 lbs over. I have never had a problem with it before. Do you guys think I should take the celexa & do ya think it will help? Does it cause ya to gain weight. Should I call him & ask for wellbutrin xl instead. Please help!

Old 03-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User
Re: Advice Please!

I'm no doctor, and I'm not an expert, but I'm of the understanding that wellbutrin is more potent than celexa, with more side effects, and it's harder to get off of. Though, wellbutrin can sometimes make you lose weight,but I think there may be a little bit higher risk of liver problems and such with wellbutrin. My brother was on it for about 2 years and started to get abnormal liver function readings, so he decided to get off it, and had a devil of a time getting off it and feeling normal. I'd suggest doing some research and talking to another doctor to get a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Maybe you should continue to take more tests in order to find any physical cause. Simply taking antidepressant meds is only an attempt to mask symptoms and not address the real issue.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:58 PM   #4

PrimalSympathy HB User

Have you had your cortisol tested? That can cause upper body weight gain, i.e. you put on weight in your stomache, not your hips.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 AM   #5

roocey HB User

Thanks guys. I have not had my cortisol tested. I am going to see if my gyn. can test my hormones & cortisol next week. I agree that the dr. was just trying to get me out of there. Any other ideas of physical problems that can cause these symptoms?

Old 04-01-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninispjc
I'm no doctor, and I'm not an expert, but I'm of the understanding that wellbutrin is more potent than celexa, with more side effects, and it's harder to get off of. Though, wellbutrin can sometimes make you lose weight,but I think there may be a little bit higher risk of liver problems and such with wellbutrin. My brother was on it for about 2 years and started to get abnormal liver function readings, so he decided to get off it, and had a devil of a time getting off it and feeling normal. I'd suggest doing some research and talking to another doctor to get a second opinion.
Neither one is more potent - they're totally different drugs. Welbutrin affects Dopamine and Celexa affects Serotoni. They usually have opposite side effects" Celexa is more likely to make you tired and lethargic. Welbutrin is more likely to make you hyper and nervous.

So, roocey, I'm really surprised your doctor recommended Celexa. It sounds like it's the opposite of what you need - unless you are a very nervouls, anxious person and you haven't mentioned that.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:27 AM   #7

roocey HB User

No, I Am Not A Nervous Or Anxious Person. Not Anymore Than Anyone Else!! The Last Thing I Need Is To Be More Lethargic & Tired!! That Was One Of My Main Complaints To Him!! I Hope Maybe My Gyno. Will Have Some Answers. I Do Not Know Where Else To Go From There. The Dr. I Went To Before My Endo. Told Me To Get More Sunshing & Come Back In 6 Months!! Can You Beleive That?!!

Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User

Actually, sunshine can do alot to battle depression. Some doctors use light therapy, little flashes of intense light, to help with depression. Taking daily walks out in the sunshine could help a little with your mood.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #9

beebsqtip HB User

Are you tired because of the meds? Where you diagnosed for thryroids? Just curious. Cause I feel really tire all the time. So tired I can't think, like as if I have been up for days and got dilerious. I went to the sleep clinic and my dr. said that he suspects nercolpsy. Sorry can't spell right now having one of the spells right now! Anyways, i think isolated one is right maybe you should take some more tests just to make sure it couldn't be something else. I almost figured it was just depression and just quit looking for a reason, but I finally found the sleep clinic and i'm glad I did!

Good Luck!

Closed Thread