It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
A few questions about depression

hi. well here's my story... i graduated from college (savannah college of art and design) almost a year ago with a degree in motion graphics... i enjoy doing it... but i just have no motivation. i feel lazy all the time and all i ever want to do really is just sit around and do nothing. it's very irritating because i really want to finish up my demo reel, find a good job and start my life... but when it comes to just sitting down and doing it... well... i just don't feel like it.

i lose interest in things fast and i have a hard time keeping focused. i feel insecure about myself sometimes and i suffer from anxiety when i'm out in public... it's not so bad if i have a friend with me... but when i'm out shopping by myself or something... i just feel out of place... all i can think about is just getting what i came for and getting back to my car.

i don't have any trouble actually talking to anybody... but i never know what to say if i meet somebody new.

could these be signs of depression? i've never really considered this possibility because i'm not generally sad or anything. can you be suffering from depression but still be happy sometimes? sorry if that sounds naive but i just don't really know anything about this problem. i have fun when i'm out with friends and stuff... but something just doesn't feel right. i feel like i should be getting on with my life but instead i just sit around all day on the internet or something... i just don't have any motivation to do anything. i suppose i'm not really happy with the way my life is going at the moment. i feel like i need to move forward but i can't for some reason. i guess i feel like i'm sort of stuck in a hole and i can't get out.

thanks for reading... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by michaelfloyd; 04-02-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
(female)

Foxbluff HB User
Re: A few questions about depression

Sounds like depression. I know I'm depressed, but feel happy and have fun when I'm around other people. However, it's like "pulling teeth" to get myself to make the effort it takes to go out and mingle. aaaah depression...so self defeating! I would suggest you see your GP abt it. He/she will most likely prescribe an anti-depressive drug. These drugs don't work like "popping a happy Pill", but will frequently take enough of the edge off the depression to get you moving again. Once you getting out more and having fun, and getting your work done, you'll automatically feel better. Let us know how it goes. Foxbluff

Old 04-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #3

kbell HB User

these are sure signs of depression. you can feel depressed and sometimes feel happy. I know how you feel sometimes about being around other ppl. It can be difficult. If you get the chance to talk to someone in addition to talking meds, that might help. This is easier said than done but some kind of movement helps too (walking, jogging, yoga, whatever you feel you can handle).

Old 04-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Definitely sounds like depression to me.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Michael, please keep in mind that none of us here are qualified to give you an official diagnosis. And I question the motives of those doctors who are too quick to diagnose depression when it may not be there. From just what you described, my opinion would be that you're probably not depressed but maybe at a crossroads in your young life and its causing the lack of motivation? Even to stretch this and say that you could have borderline mild depression, I think it would be a shame to see you have the typical "knee jerk" reaction of going to the doctor and having him put you on meds. In your present state of mind, the consequences would far out weigh any possible reward. They would be quite content to have you take one of their "tests" and qualify to be put on a prescription antidepressant. That's what helps the business to be as powerful as it is. It's disturbing how people have been conditioned to assume meds are the first option for treating depression.

Last edited by isolated one; 04-02-2004 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User

thanks everyone for you opinions so far.

isolated one:

i completely understand what you are saying and i would never just run to the doctor and ask to be put on meds... i just don't really know that much about depression and i have read that some of the things i mentioned in my first post are indeed signs of depression... so i wanted to post on this board and see what others thought.

i'm not one to have "knee jerk" reactions to anything... i'm just exploring possible causes of the way i'm feeling.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

IsolatedOne, Please know that I didn't suggest that the poster go to his GP and ask to be put on AD. When someone isn't functioning well, I think they should see their doctor for a diagnoses. Regardless of what their problem is I don't think that sitting at home worrying abt what's wrong helps their situation. (Me? I always put off going to the doc, but always encourage other people to go because I think that's the best thing for them to do.) I believe I said that the doc would probably put poster on an AD.

Also, if anybody doesn't trust their doc to act in their best interest, then they're going to the wrong place for help! Fox

Old 04-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbluff
I believe I said that the doc would probably put poster on an AD.
........ Yes, that was the point I was making to Michael. He need not even ask to be put on an AD and it's likely they will prescribe one anyway. Over diagnosis of illnesses or conditions is a way to sell more meds. It's not just antidepressants. I'll even give an example of my first hand experience with this a few years back. I went to the doctor to get a tetanus shot. Now, I happen to have low blood pressure and the only time it goes above nomal is when I'm in a panic situation. My extreme anxiety over the fear that I may have waited too long to get the shot elevated my blood pressure but it was still not in the high range. When the doctor noticed the reading on my chart, he told me I needed to take high blood pressure medication as soon as possible. I tried to explain that the reading did not represent my normal low blood pressure but just a spike in times of panic. He refused to listen and even offered me a free sample of the medication he wanted me on. I just walked out, paid my bill, and left. Turns out that if I had taken the meds he wanted to prescribe, my BP would have dropped to dangerous and fatal levels. This is hardly any isolated incident of improper diagnosis. It's more common than most would ever think. Don't put your trust in anyone who does not earn it. Just because a person holds a position of authority is no reason to assume your best interests are their highest prority.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

What an awful experience, IsolatedOne! It's a horror story. I'm sooo glad you knew enough to get the heck away from him. I understand that not all docs are competent health care providers and that's one of the reasons we need to be seeing a doc we've come to trust.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #10

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbluff
What an awful experience, IsolatedOne! It's a horror story. I'm sooo glad you knew enough to get the heck away from him. I understand that not all docs are competent health care providers and that's one of the reasons we need to be seeing a doc we've come to trust.
and watch out for potential mistakes our doctors might make. Doctors are human afterall!

Closed Thread