It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User
drug induced depression

I am suffering with chronic nerve pain and have been trying various anti-seizure meds to see if they can give me relief (ie Neurontin, tegretol, lamactil). I am also on oxycontin. So far, I have had no success, but the one thing I seem to have experienced with each anti-seizure med is extreme depression. I am now just at the starting dose of Lamactil (1 week now), and once again I have experienced a terrible slide into deep depression. I don't think it's the oxycontin, because in between trying the different anti-seizure meds I go for several weeks on oxycontin alone, and do not feel the same depression. Has anyone else experienced this with these meds? What do I do? Does this kind of thing straighten itself out with time as you become adjusted to the meds?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Re: drug induced depression

Hi Linda, meds can really mess you up. I too am a chronic pain sufferer. I use to use alcohol to ease my pain but now even a couple beers and I am off into a major deep depression and I just keep drinking. I've gone the whole gammit with pain meds, neurontin, flexeral, soma, you name it, but the side effects are not worth any of it. Yesterday I gave into a few beers ended up going "nuts" now I have to try to explain my way out of another 'episode" to my only friend, he's no saint, but I get really nasty. Doctors are so quick to write on that tab...luckily my pharmacist caught one mistake. A med for a post op from a different doctor would have really messed me up. I've stopped my zoloft and all the meds now, only when I really can not handle it I will pop a hydro or xanex, but not on a reg basis. best wishes,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawainwright
I am suffering with chronic nerve pain and have been trying various anti-seizure meds to see if they can give me relief (ie Neurontin, tegretol, lamactil). I am also on oxycontin. So far, I have had no success, but the one thing I seem to have experienced with each anti-seizure med is extreme depression. I am now just at the starting dose of Lamactil (1 week now), and once again I have experienced a terrible slide into deep depression. I don't think it's the oxycontin, because in between trying the different anti-seizure meds I go for several weeks on oxycontin alone, and do not feel the same depression. Has anyone else experienced this with these meds? What do I do? Does this kind of thing straighten itself out with time as you become adjusted to the meds?

Linda
I hate to be a doomsdayer, but there really is no real relief from chronic pain. But, yes, the pain pills cause depression. Not that they do in themselves, but you become depressed when they don't work.

I thought that we would find the magic pill to end our nerve pain. I tried pill after pill and different therapies. Each time that one didn't work I was more depressed. There is a great site that you can go to, that I can't post here, but if you surf the net for central pain and then read David Hegg, you will find out a lot of your answers to this.

There really is no cure for central pain. There are sites where you can go to read about it and find out how to deal with the depression.

While you are out there in cyberspace, try reading The Burton Report.

When I was reading the stuff by Hegg, I read that the docs will try to give you anti-depressants as you climb the ladder of pain killers. They may or not be beneficial to you.

David's site doesn't have any ads for anything, no pop ups, no come ons for therapy or doctors, just a great place to read about central pain. I printed all of it out, it took about a ream of paper and read it while laying down.

We all want to find something to end the pain, some opt for surgery, some for alternative methods, but all of it is depressing.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

NeuroGirl HB User

I have been diagnosed with Epilepsy and have been taking Dilantin for six years now. I have been suffering from depression for quite a while now, but seems like I've had it all my life, but just getting worse. My neurologist claims that the Dilantin is causing the depression, but not sure. I usually get severe PMS to the point of getting violent with my boyfriend- God bless him for putting up with me! But the other days of the week, I usually just space out and go into my own little world. People at work probably think I'm a ditz because I don't really talk much and when I try to I end up stuttering or forgetting my words. Talk about being embarassed!

Also, I'm always tired and grumpy. I have been seeing a counselor for a couple weeks now but I'm not sure that is going to help. I've been on Paxcil CR and have read other posters stating they have gained weight from it. I'm not overweight now but can't afford to gain any! Can anyone relate to me? Hope everyone is doing well and take care!

Old 04-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

I don't know anymore. I've tried to stop all meds, and now, well I am in such a depression/anxiety I can not handle it any more. I wish I new what was really the cause? Now I am thinking maybe the withdrawal is causing this? I feel sick, nervous, depressed headache, my mouth is dry and tingly, I just want to sleep it away. I'm thinking maybe my sugar is out of balance? God I don't know what to do. I don't have a primary doc anymore, due to my ins change. I just tried to find a new one, and the ones on my network, well, I can't even pronounce the names... plus the many many docs I've seen all have different ideas and just toss me around. I am broke, confused and alone. I want only to feel better and nobody knows how to help>? i've had many many blood test in the past so I sould be ok? but I do have low blood sugar, drs say that is ok? I have this strange skin disease, porokeratosis which is really depressing ( on my arms can't wear short sleeves, people ask?) chronic pain, I'm ready to pop another zoloft, been one month off it. Just so confused of these drugs ???????? Can these drugs be trusted?????

Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

You girls need to read "Talking Back to Prozac" and some of the other books that deal with the truth about anti-depressants. I tried them. I fianlly decided that all you have to do is to say that you are depressed and a doc pulls out his scipt pad. They are so afraid of mal-practice suits that they will give you a pill if that is what they hear that you are asking for by saying that you are depressed.

I threw all of mine away. My first doc, a DO, told me to go out, walk a mile a day until I worked up to five miles a day. That releases endorphins if you walk fast, plus, you get out into the world.

Then he told me to get at least fifteen minutes of sunshine as I suffer from SAD. As soon as that sun is out, I am in it. Not for a suntan, but for the vitamin D. It works.

Those two things in combination has allowed me to throw away the anti-depressants. I still take Xanax as I am addicted and can't sleep without them as I am manic depressive, but I only take one and a half milligrams at bedtime. I don't take anything for anxiety attacks. I just breath through those.

Getting off of anti-anxiety meds will make you anxious, taking them makes you anxious. I had to take Xanax for the panic attacks that I got with Prozac. I was told that they go hand in hand. Bull! You don't need either of them.

What did people do before drugs?

I was standing in line yesterday behind a woman at a pharmacy who had a shopping cart full of Hostess products, Ho Ho, etc. She was picking up Percocet for her fifteen year old son who had just gotten sixteen sitches and she wanted him to have these goodies also. I asked her about his weight and activities. She said that he was overweight, sat on the couch all day playing video games, but better fat and overweight and not active than injured and getting arthritis when he was older. HUH? I was aghast that a doc gave him a week's worth of Percocet (future pain med addict?).

When we were kids, if we were depressed we found a different way besides drugs to help us. If we got hurt, we were kids, we healed and went on. This is a drug driven society.

Go out in the sunshine, let it shine on your face, be happy to be alive

Throw away the meds.

There are far too many people being diagnosed with depression.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Betty, I so agree with you. Meds are just "bandaids" the problem is still there. We are creating more problems with all these meds. Yes diabetics need insuline, but alot of them got that way from eating habits and some the bad luck of heredity. Like me both my parents are diabetic, mom now deceased at age 62. But I know I have to watch it. I am normal weight but have alcohol problems. That may be my down fall. So I am desperately trying to stop. I am down to wk end breaks, that too hopefully I will be able to attack, atleast maybe just a few? But these anti d's and codeine and xanex and neurontin and all the muscle relaxers etc. they have been thrown out! It took awhile for the body to adjust to the start up of them, with horrible side effects so I guess this withdrawl will also take time. But each day is a day closer to clean!!! I just got back from a walk on the beach with my puppy, it was so beautiful!!! I have to stay out of the sun due to my skin disease but later in the day is ok, the sun is still there but not so bad. I just have to rearrange my day routine, thats ok, so what if I watch tv at noon, mornings and evenings are not so crowded at the beach anyway! Yes it is such an injustice to see children being prescribed all these drugs now, its easy for doctors to hand out pills, anyone can do that, they need to stop "practicing medicine" and grow up and become DOCTORS.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Injured Betty and Cardinal, thank you for these refreshing replies! I don't feel so alone with my views on this issue. "What did we do before drugs?" Herbs which now are sold as "alternative medicine" were THE prescription medicine up until the early 1900s. This is when the drug companies started to gain influence on the market because they knew that botanicals can't be patented and the profit potential can't even compare to that of their new synthetic drugs. The rest is history. It's just another example of a powerful busine$$.

Closed Thread