It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #1

TMJgirl HB User
Xanax vs. Ativan?

Hi: Can someone tell me or clue me in on what medication Xanax or Ativan works better for anxiety? Also which has the least side effects and the shortest half life? I have tried both and they make me woosie. I do not want to take SSRI's they do not agree with me at all. I am trying to combat this anxiety with one of these meds and I feel drunk of both of them. I took the xanax for a week and now am trying the Ativan. Need input....please help! Thanks.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Re: Xanax vs. Ativan?

Xanax has a shorter half life. I don't know whether one is more effective than the other, but I'm guessing each individual has a different reaction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #3

Nychick112 HB User

Hey.. I have been suffering from really bad anxiety for several years now, and just finally got on medication after refusal. I take Ativan. Xanax and ativan are both used for anxiety, but Xanax is stronger and the probability of becoming addicted to your anxiety medication is higher for Xanax. As for feeling drunk/woozy.. That's one of the big negative side effects definitly. After taking it once in the morning, I now take it a few hours before I go to bed and the tired/woozy feeling usually will have worn off. Hope that helps!

Old 04-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #4

TMJgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychick112
Hey.. I have been suffering from really bad anxiety for several years now, and just finally got on medication after refusal. I take Ativan. Xanax and ativan are both used for anxiety, but Xanax is stronger and the probability of becoming addicted to your anxiety medication is higher for Xanax. As for feeling drunk/woozy.. That's one of the big negative side effects definitly. After taking it once in the morning, I now take it a few hours before I go to bed and the tired/woozy feeling usually will have worn off. Hope that helps!

Thanks for replying. But what do I do for the morning when the suffering is at its worse? I have TMJ and TMJD which is a nightmare. I have clogged ears every day of my life and I am literally loosing it. The xanax is OK at night but during the day I feel lousy on it. Any suggestions? I dont want to take SSRI's or anything else that Ihave to be married to. I just want this to go away and I think the clogged ears are a result of anxiety also. That is what TMJD is. It effects the various muscle groups around the jaw joint from stress and anxiety. I took the ativan and it felt worse then the xanax. I am wondering if that was just an anxiety reaction to having to take it. Also, does it cause mucous membrane drying? Like sinus, or mouth? I am curious and would appreciate any help you can relay.
Demi

Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #5

Nychick112 HB User

I also suffer worse from anxiety during the day, but my doctor said that Ativan can last up to 12 hrs. If you go to bed late, you could try taking a double dose of ativan (ask your doctor) and it would last the next day. Just curious.. how come you don't want to try a SSRI for anxiety? As for the sinus/mucus drying out problems, I haven't noticed anything like that. The only side effect I have from ativan is a groggy feeling.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #6

TMJgirl HB User

HI: Yes, the ativan makes me groggy too. I dont like that. OK at night, but the day........nah. Dont work for me. SSRI's I tried zoloft once, made me dizzier and Lexaro was out there after 3 days, scared to try another one. I heard they all have sexual side effects too........true??

Closed Thread