It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #1

][SHMIGELZ][ HB User
Could I be depressed????

Here are my stats:

Sex: Male (obviously)

History:
8 Yrs ago diagnosed with IBS.
3 Yrs ago had 4 abdominal surgeries in 6 months.
6 months ago had heart surgery.
4 months ago kicked a 6 month addiction to OxyContin and Dexedrine/Ephedrine.

Im not sure if the history is at all revelent or not. Basically my problem is I have absolutely no desire to do anything. Im not happy anymore in my life or at my job. My mood seems to go up and down like a yo-yo all the time.

Ive never experienced this before and I don't know what to do or why it's happening. I so on occasion get depressed but who doesn't. My sex drive appears normal. It just seems like im spinning my wheels lately and have no direction in life. I dont really feel like working out at the gym and I've been dedicated for the past 8 yrs.

Has anyone experienced this before? My family doc wants to put me on Effexor. But is that even a solution?

Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #2

kbell HB User
Re: Could I be depressed????

in all likelihood, you could be. I wouldn't rush to medicate but that is entirely up to you. sometimes the medication can help maintain an even keel. Have you thought about talking with a therapist in addition? I have experienced the mood ups and downs and low desire to do much of much so I know what that's like. Therapy, a somewhat regular exercise routine, and medicine seem to be working for me but then again everyone is different. I would say that it might be a good idea to find someone to talk to first and then go from there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 12:33 PM   #3

Polaris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][SHMIGELZ][
Here are my stats:

Sex: Male (obviously)

History:
8 Yrs ago diagnosed with IBS.
3 Yrs ago had 4 abdominal surgeries in 6 months.
6 months ago had heart surgery.
4 months ago kicked a 6 month addiction to OxyContin and Dexedrine/Ephedrine.

Im not sure if the history is at all revelent or not. Basically my problem is I have absolutely no desire to do anything. Im not happy anymore in my life or at my job. My mood seems to go up and down like a yo-yo all the time.

Ive never experienced this before and I don't know what to do or why it's happening. I so on occasion get depressed but who doesn't. My sex drive appears normal. It just seems like im spinning my wheels lately and have no direction in life. I dont really feel like working out at the gym and I've been dedicated for the past 8 yrs.

Has anyone experienced this before? My family doc wants to put me on Effexor. But is that even a solution?
Sheesh, that's enough to make anyone depressed. With the surgeries and the withdrawls from medication addiction, it could send a sane person into a depression. It doesn't appear in what you wrote that you have been suffering from this long term, only periodically, which confuses me as to why your doctor would want to put you on medication, rather than do some type of talk therapy first. Perhaps pose that question to your doctor.

Good luck.
P

Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #4

][SHMIGELZ][ HB User

Hi there,

Therapy was discussed as an option also. I am proceeding to get that covered though my work as it costs $150/hr.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][SHMIGELZ][
Hi there,

Therapy was discussed as an option also. I am proceeding to get that covered though my work as it costs $150/hr.
Look into CBT as it is much cheaper and more effective if you are willing to put effort into working the tools. I was on meds for many years before I found cbt and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in cbt you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety and depression will begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. The more you put in the more you get out of cbt.

Billy

Closed Thread