It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
Inactive

moz HB User
Smile SSRI's vs. Tricyclics

Has anyone taken tricyclic antidepressants after all of the SSRI's have failed? All the doctors I've seen have only tried me on the newer stuff but they have all had very little effect if at all. No one has prescribed tricyclics for me yet and I can't figure out why. I'd like to hear some pros and cons of these meds. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: SSRI's vs. Tricyclics

I cannot tolerate the SSRI's. My very first med, 7 years ago, was amitriptyline (a tricyclic) and it worked great for me. Since it quit last fall, I've tried several other tricyc. and have had a lot of side effects from different ones. Still searching for the right one. Vivactil had the least side effects, mainly, dry mouth & a bad taste in the mouth, but that's minor to some of the others. I was just tried on maprotiline & it made me extremely hyper & rapid heart beat.
After my amtrip quit, my doctor tried me on Lexapro & Effexor, I had terrible reactions to both.
I think doctors think the newest med on the market is always the best, but the way I reacted to Lexapro, which is about the newest SSRI, I cannot agree.
What I've read is that the newer SSRI's have less side effects so that is why doctors stay with them, but that is not the case for everyone. I had worse side effects from the SSRI's than the tricyclics.
I may be trying pamelor next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 03:04 AM   #3
Inactive

moz HB User

Thanks for the reply Lori. It's also interesting that the FDA issued a warning about increased suicidal thoughts and actions related to SSRI's-especially in children.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Moz, let me know if your doctor tries you out on any tricyc. I am hoping to find one soon, it's been a search of over 6 months to find the right one again. I sure wish the amitrip hadn't quit working for me, but 7 years is a long time & I guess I was lucky it worked that long.

Yes, I know there was that warning about the SSRI's. I also know that each med affects each person differently, so I don't put tons of stock into the warning. But, if you react badly to the SSRI's definitely ask your doctor about the tricycs.

Closed Thread