It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #1

soupy HB User
help with worrying?

hey.
i am a chronic worrier, and it really makes my life crap. it stops me having any sort of fun from anything, because i am always on edge...like an example is, i never actually feel bored during social occasions because if the occasion is dull, i think it must be something to do with me...and any time when i must appear to be having a good time at such occasions, i am actually quite uptight and worrying what people think of me. i know this in particular might be common with a lot of people but i take it to extremes to the point were i just can't enjoy life. anything that goes good brings a new worry. i constantly worry that i'm a racist or some kind of degenerate and this really makes me feel sort of numb...like i just cant make any progress because of who i might be and the fact that i don't derive any pleasure from anything. i dont feel like i'm in any sort of control. i know this sounds stupid and angsty and it might be, i'm not sure, but it's really getting to me. any one know what i can do? thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #2

aegis HB User
Re: help with worrying?

Hello. I do the same thing. I am always worrying about one thing or another. If I'm not worried, I worry that I've forgotten something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #3

soupy HB User

hehe same here! like "i shouldnt be feeling relaxed"...i always find something :S

Old 04-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #4

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy
i know this sounds stupid and angsty and it might be, i'm not sure, but it's really getting to me. any one know what i can do? thanks in advance.
See your GP about doing some CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). There is an online course called Moodgym.

It sounds to me like you "search" for things to worry about.

You'll need to change the way you think about things dramatically, and CBT provides you with the tools on how to do this.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Inactive

Karla HB User

My worring caused excessive anxiety. My dr gave me xanax and it does wonders for all the above. It helps me a great deal.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Soupy-
Possum is exactly right CBT is what you need. CBT is all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your worries will decrease and you will become more productive. My favorite tool is the TEA form which you use to help catch your negative thoughts and refute them. Many of these thoughts are automatic and come from our childhood so they are no longer relevant in our lives. We are often unaware that we have them! My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge so you may want to call the university in your area if you're interested. Hope this answers yopur question, but if not feel free to ask me more :clap

Billy

Old 04-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #7

pinupchk HB User

I worry a lot too. I used to constantly worry about what people thought of me. It just got worse when I got into a relationship, I worried that he was going to use me, or cheat on me, or lie to me, etc... I still worry about those things, however, I have to tell myself over and over again that things happen for a reason. That worrying about every little thing is destructive and never helps the situation. I mean, you are always going to worry, but I guess just knowing how to control it to some extent will help. If people don't like you for who you are, then that is there problem. You aren't the one that is making the situation boring, don't let everything fall on your shoulders. As hard as it is, you need to learn to let go of some things. I take deep breaths, or count to ten to relax.
There is a book I just recently picked up called The Worrywarts Companion... I would recommend picking it up. Things are going to happen whether you worry about them or not, so just try as hard as you can to remember that everyday. <333

Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
(female)

Foxbluff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegis
Hello. I do the same thing. I am always worrying about one thing or another. If I'm not worried, I worry that I've forgotten something.
You and Soupy are a hoot!LOL Thanks to you guys, I may not have those "worry free times" to relish anymore.LOL

Old 04-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #9

Elana HB User

soupy, I agree with possum and billy's advice about cbt

Closed Thread