It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #1

shye&curious HB User
cognitive behavioral therapy? what is?

hi there... i'm actually from the ocd board... but people there said i might find some answers here about CBT?????
i was just wondering what the heck it is... wondering if i would benefit form it with my ocd... (don't understand if it would work on obsessive thoughts... or compulsive behaviors??)
thanks so much... your response is appreciated

Old 04-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #2

possum HB User
Re: cognitive behavioral therapy? what is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shye&curious
hi there... i'm actually from the ocd board... but people there said i might find some answers here about CBT?????
i was just wondering what the heck it is... wondering if i would benefit form it with my ocd... (don't understand if it would work on obsessive thoughts... or compulsive behaviors??)
CBT helps find and fix irrational thoughts we create in our own minds.

You go through exercises which give you situations and helps you discover how you "negatively" deal with them, then provides ways of adjusting your thought processes.

I have no experience with CBT for OCD, but I'm sure a good therapist would be able to use CBT techniques to help some OCD's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shye&curious
CBT is successfully used for treating most anxiety disorders including OCD. CBT is all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your stress will decrease and you will become more productive. My favorite tool is the TEA form which you use to help catch your negative thoughts and refute them. Many of these thoughts are automatic and come from our childhood so they are no longer relevant in our lives. We are often unaware that we have them! I also like ther counter exercise which teaches us to focus on what we are accomplishing rather than what we have not done. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge so you may want to call the university in your area if you're interested. Hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to ask me more :clap

Billy

Old 04-08-2004, 01:23 AM   #4

antares_wish HB User

Ok I am totally unfamiliar with CBT but being OCD myself I can give you an idea of something to try that works for me. First of all let me just say that OCD doesn't *have* to be a bad thing all the time. I actually used my OCD to help keep me from becoming psychotic when I was going through a very difficult time in my life. I got to the point that I was starting to seriously have thoughts of injuring other people or worse! That scared me to no end and I decided that I needed to do something about it. OCD ended up being my best friend in this case. I decided to use my OCD to combat these thoughts by telling myself that the moment I would catch myself having one of those thoughts that I would mentally repeat the phrase "he / she is a person" 10 times for every thought. This not only forced the unwanted thoughts from my head but after a while I think my mind got so annoyed at hearing that stupid phrase over and over that it decided it was easier to give up the offensive thoughts.

This experience taught me a trick that I can actually use to change any unwanted OCD behaviours. If you have a specific behaviour that is bothering you then tell yourself that you will perform some other act or thought instead every time you feel the urge to do that. What I've found is that the new pattern seems to replace the old one and for some reason the new pattern is much easier to stop than the undesirable pattern. For me at least I find the most effective replacement behaviours are stupid phrases that you repeat in your mind multiple times, the more lame and annoying the phrase the better it works. My Dad uses snapping fingers as a replacement behaviour.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #5

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares_wish
Ok I am totally unfamiliar with CBT but being OCD myself I can give you an idea of something to try that works for me. First of all let me just say that OCD doesn't *have* to be a bad thing all the time. I actually used my OCD to help keep me from becoming psychotic when I was going through a very difficult time in my life. I got to the point that I was starting to seriously have thoughts of injuring other people or worse! That scared me to no end and I decided that I needed to do something about it. OCD ended up being my best friend in this case. I decided to use my OCD to combat these thoughts by telling myself that the moment I would catch myself having one of those thoughts that I would mentally repeat the phrase "he / she is a person" 10 times for every thought. This not only forced the unwanted thoughts from my head but after a while I think my mind got so annoyed at hearing that stupid phrase over and over that it decided it was easier to give up the offensive thoughts.

This experience taught me a trick that I can actually use to change any unwanted OCD behaviours. If you have a specific behaviour that is bothering you then tell yourself that you will perform some other act or thought instead every time you feel the urge to do that. What I've found is that the new pattern seems to replace the old one and for some reason the new pattern is much easier to stop than the undesirable pattern. For me at least I find the most effective replacement behaviours are stupid phrases that you repeat in your mind multiple times, the more lame and annoying the phrase the better it works. My Dad uses snapping fingers as a replacement behaviour.
Brilliant!

I have mild OCD (cleaning hands and sinks way too much). It appears my anti-depressant has cured the OCD, but if it comes back...I'll give this a go!

Old 04-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares_wish

Antares-
We really have to get you up to speed on CBT as I honestly think with your attitude you would take to it immediately

Billy

Closed Thread