It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #1

sharonlynn HB User
Topamax: what's been your experience?

I have just been prescribed Topamax for mild bp as a mood stabalizer and sleep aid. Has anyone taken it and what has your experience been? Any side effect, good or bad and at what dosage? thanks.

Sharon

Old 04-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #2

shar01 HB User
Re: Topamax: what's been your experience?

Hi there,

I'd be careful and monitor your emotions/behavior with your doctor closely. I'm sure many people do well on topamax, but my doctor prescribed it as a mood stablizer as well and it literally made me feel worse in mood--I was having suicidal ideas, which I didn't have before. I went right off it 2 weeks later and felt better. Later, a new doc told me topamax was on the bottom of the list for stablizing mood and I'd be better off with lithium. But that is a whole other nightmare.

Good luck! Let me know what your experience is!

sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #3

sharonlynn HB User
Re: Topamax: what's been your experience?

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the insight. So far so good. I am slightly tired during the day, but the constant rainy weather hasn't helped either!! Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sharon

Old 04-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #4

borderlinechick HB User
Talking Re: Topamax: what's been your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonlynn
I have just been prescribed Topamax for mild bp as a mood stabalizer and sleep aid. Has anyone taken it and what has your experience been? Any side effect, good or bad and at what dosage? thanks.

Sharon
undefinedundefined
hi sharon
i've recently been prescribed topomax partially as a mood stabilizer but more so for treating the massive weight gain i have gotten from taking drugs like: zyprexa, seroquel, and respiridone. i'd like to hear more updates on how you are doing with the drug, i'm starting on 50 mg a day for a the first week and raised 50mg per week up to about 200mg i think. i have gained 50 lbs in the last 6 months. i am currently on 60mg of celexa, 10mg valium 3 times a day and nozinan 40 mg at bedtime... my diagnosis is BPD. Good Luck to you and hope it works the way you expect

Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #5

sharonlynn HB User
Unhappy Re: Topamax: what's been your experience?

Well right now my pdoc is just trying to treat the pipolar and help me with the chronic severe mood swings I go through and the sleep depravation. This is suppose to lend to helping me stabilize, so we shall see. a wieght loss would be an added benefit that's for sure. I am also on 50 mg of Levoxyl for mild Hypothyroid every since my daughter was born. I wonder if my thyroid condition will slow down this 'wonderful" supposed great weight loss everyone is suppose to have on Topamax. Watch, my dumb luck, i'll stay fat!!!! AND depressed! Cant win!

Sharon

Closed Thread