It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #1

tropicalflower HB User
Wink weightgain on medication from Happy Pills

I was wondering if any one is or has gained weight on any med. with SSRI'S in them? I have been on Fluvoximen, Paxil and know I'm on Effecter XR for about 5 years ( don't know some of the spellings sorry) Anyways I gained about 20lbs on Paxil and I can't get rid of the weight!!!!! They say That you don't gain weight very likely on XR but why am I still got the pounds? I've tryed dieting and going to the gym but I'ts still holding on. Studies say that SSRI'S destroy a chemical in your brain starts with a T something and the cybrohydrats in our food produce this chemical so you gain weight but dose any one know about how to stop this and is any one gaining weight on XR?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #2

possum HB User
Re: weightgain on medication from Happy Pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalflower
weightgain on medication from Happy Pills
I'm obviously on the wrong medication (Prozac) as it makes me drowsy. I have pretty much lost interest in everything aswell. NEED SOME OF YOUR "HAPPY PILLS"

I have more fun playing games, food tastes better, peripheral circulation has improved, anxiety attacks are infrequent and most important of all, no dizzy spells & fatigue.

I used to eat more when I'd get dizzy spells & fatigue because I thought the cause was hypoglycemia. Obviously this was a waste of time and only caused me to "balloon" out to over 100kg (male 182 cm tall: 6 ft).

Now that I'm on an anti-depressant which has virtually eliminated all dizzy spells and fatigue, I stay "slightly" hungry most of the day, with emphasis on "slightly".

I stop my blood sugar getting too low with small meals, vegetable juice (at least twice a day), fresh fruits and fruit juice.

I eat an "Atkins" type diet, but I ignore any vegetables or fruit the Atkins diet says not to eat. I also eat foods with lots of carbohydrates everyday, but not in large amounts.

The secret to feeling full is "psyllium" husks mixed in fruit juice or flavoured milk, especially after foods rich in carbohydrates. You can significantly less carbohydrates because psyllium slows down the rate of absorption of carbohydrates (which will cause problems for diabetics). So instead of two sandwiches, one should be able to keep you going for the same amount of time.

To replace lost bacteria from the internal scrubbing from two table spoons (which is a lot) of psyllium husks (a soluble fibre) taken at once I eat lots of yogurt and take acidophilous capsules. I don't take the psyllium every day though.

I eat as much dried meat as I can afford (which isn't much as it's expensive) especially those with a lot of dried fat. I try to eat meals based on white and occasionally red meat everyday and seafood at least 3 times a week. Eggs and milk products also make a large part of my diet.

I keep a loaf of BROWN bread in the freezer and take out two slices per day (but not every day). And I only use RAW sugar as a sweetener.

Since starting on anti-depressants I have lost an average of 1 kilogram (bit over 2 pounds) per week on this diet. I SLOW DOWN the rate I'm losing weight by increasing how much bread, biscuits, cake, potatos and pasta I eat. If you eat too little carbohydrates and exercise you lose weight at an unhealthy rate.

Consult you doctor before you change your diet. And keep psyllium husks in an airtight container AWAY FROM CHILDREN.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #3

google321 HB User

i thought the fiber capsules would absorb the meds. here is how you lose weight.......eat less.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #4

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by google321
i thought the fiber capsules would absorb the meds. here is how you lose weight.......eat less.
I use a powder which comes in a packet with 200g NET of PYSLLIUM HUSKS from the supermarket (some sell this packet in the health food section while others in the breakfast cereal section). It's not cheap, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than capsules.

From my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum
To replace lost bacteria from the internal scrubbing from two table spoons (which is a lot) of psyllium husks (a soluble fibre) taken at once I eat lots of yogurt and take acidophilous capsules. I don't take the psyllium every day though.

And keep psyllium husks in an airtight container AWAY FROM CHILDREN.
What makes you think I'm talking about a capsules?

Put two table spoons of capsules in fruit juice or flavoured milk and stir?

Quote:
.......eat less.
That's the whole idea and you'd think millions upon millions of overweight people would have figured this out by now!

Old 04-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #5

tropicalflower HB User

Quote:
Well I don't eat alot so your so called help dosn't help but thanks anyways. Looks as though you know nothing of the matter or you don't read well cause I exercise and eat well so before you make your statments look into what SSRI's do to your body.. So Why don't you chew on that for awhile

Old 04-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #6

possum HB User

Quote:
I exercise and eat well so before you make your statments look into what SSRI's do to your body.. So Why don't you chew on that for awhile
SSRI's actually do very little. I posted a link to a slideshow on ecstasy, which goes into detail on Prozac here:
[URL=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=158741]Slideshow on how SSRI drugs work![/URL]

The so-called HEALTHY diet has been based on physics (believe it or not) and has been shown up by the Atkins diet in the last few years.

Neither diet is ideal for losing weight. With the Atkins diet you minimize carbohydrates, which is usually converted into instant energy, requiring the body to use fats instead. Fats take a lot of work for your body to break down and eventually the process will use stored fats to help. The Atkins diet can cause more problems than it solves, that's why I don't adhere to it.

The so-called HEALTHY diet is a joke. You count calories. If you want to put on weight or lose weight the diet is EXACTLY the same, only the amount of calories varies. With the Atkins diet you can eat enough calories to satisfy and elephant and still lose weight.

Finding YOUR middle ground can be difficult. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:00 PM   #7

tropicalflower HB User

I wasn't talking about SSRI's are good for you there bad and harmful. People gain weight, lose weight, become angry, committe suicide and the list goes on I wasn't talkling about your adivce. your advice is accually pretty helpful. Just someone left a message who had no Idea what there talking about I'll be going off these meds pretty soon so wish me luck

Old 04-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #8

possum HB User

Quote:
I'll be going off these meds pretty soon so wish me luck
Excellent

I'll be on meds indefinately at this stage as the gains FAR exceed the side-effects. Just the money saved will be a big bonus for you, all the best

Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #9

tropicalflower HB User

Possum do you think you'ld like to go on natural medication instead? I'm going to try the medication if I find that I'm more depressed off Effexor. What anti-depressant are you on right know? Do you know about the withdrawl affects? when you get off the meds I'm scared but I don't want to be depressed or easily angered anymore or have this weight problem I always wanted to model but after taking Paxil within 1 month I gained 20lbs. I didn't under stand what was happning my family thought something was really wrong. So I went to my doctor and said about my weightgain. Then she didn't want me to get off because of more stress that happened in my life at that time. So she put me on Effexor I hate how I feel I'm always tiered but not as bad as when I was on Fluvoximen I slept all day but of 5 hours of the day. Do you possum have any side affects? from your meds?

Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 AM   #10

possum HB User

Quote:
Possum do you think you'ld like to go on natural medication instead?
Absolutely, if one would work, especially if it was cheaper than my current med.

After 20 years of trying many things, I'm finally on something that's working for me......so far.

Quote:
What anti-depressant are you on right know? Do you know about the withdrawl affects?
I'm on 20mg a day Prozac.

Prozac has a VERY long half-life therefore most people don't need to taper off much and there shouldn't be any withdrawal effects. But everyone is different. It's rare, but some people have been very sick, but the same people usually didn't get any benefits to begin with.

Note: Prozac will only help you if you have the appropriate chemical-imbalance. Unfortunately nobody knows if an anti-depressant will work for you till AFTER you start taking it.

Quote:
Do you possum have any side affects? from your meds?
All meds will cause side-effects, even natural cures can make you sick, especially if they are the wrong ones.

I'm having problems sleeping. I can not sleep more than 3 hours at a time so I have been drowsy since the day I started taking Prozac. Other than that, I feel MUCH MUCH better than I have in a very long time.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 AM   #11

emma81 HB User

tropicalflower; I think there has to be something with this medication that does something to the body so it's easier to gain weight. I also gained weight, and I know with myself that I did NOT eat more, actually I ate less and I worked out. It didn't help. So I understand how frustrating it is when you can't controle it at all! I was on Celexa. I lost the weight, after stopping with the medicine. But now, 1 year after I have to start again. I am so afraid of gaining weight again. I have been taking it for 2 weeks, and to my surprise I have lost weight in these 2 weeks. But I think I probably will get bigger after a while on the medication.....I have now idea why this happens. But I've heard that celexa and prozac are supposed to be best with not gaining weight, and that many gain weight on effexor.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #12

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma81
tropicalflower; I think there has to be something with this medication that does something to the body so it's easier to gain weight. I also gained weight, and I know with myself that I did NOT eat more, actually I ate less and I worked out. It didn't help. So I understand how frustrating it is when you can't controle it at all! I was on Celexa. I lost the weight, after stopping with the medicine. But now, 1 year after I have to start again. I am so afraid of gaining weight again. I have been taking it for 2 weeks, and to my surprise I have lost weight in these 2 weeks. But I think I probably will get bigger after a while on the medication.....I have now idea why this happens. But I've heard that celexa and prozac are supposed to be best with not gaining weight, and that many gain weight on effexor.
Hi how much did you gain on Celexa the first time? I have been on Celexa since 2001, and I am now gaining weight. I am up from 129 since starting to 136....as of today. I see it mostly in my stomach and breasts..which is common in woman on these drugs. They slow down the metabolism....yuck.
Well, it is be heavier and be less anxious, obssesive, etc.
So I am trying to exercise very consistently.
Good luck, you shouldn't see the weight gain for sometime....it comes later!

Old 04-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #13
Inactive

serenity111 HB User

YES!!!! i gained 20lbs, on celexa. i was on it for over a year. 2 months ago i went off it, and i CANT lose the weight. ive never had a weight problem! anti-depressants are suppose to help with depression, but packing on the pounds sure doesnt help....

Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

I started out a week on Wellbutrin and had severe side effects so my doctor switched me to Paxil CR... I was on that a month and came very close to committing suicide. And I gained 15 pounds in one month on that stuff. Then doctor switched me to Effexor XR and I was on that for 4 months. I gained another 15 pounds...

I WAS 115 pounds and now I'm a wopping 145 pounds. It's disgusting. NONE of my clothes fit and I can't afford to buy new ones. It's hard to go from a size 2/4 to a size 10.

It has nothing to do with my 'lifestyle'. I play outdoor/indoor soccer twice a week. I do aerobics and lift weights 3x times a week too. I don't over eat, I eat the right foods, my diet is actually very healthy. I have NEVER weighed this much in my life... until I took those darn pills. I hate how I look. I hate trying to run and play soccer with all this additional weight, it just isn't healthy and is killing my joints. Plus I have fibromyalgia and before the meds I had it completely under control.. now breathing even hurts.

I took myself off of Effexor (with docs permission). I did it slowly. I experienced severe headaches and I usually never get them. I sweat profusely too. I felt nauseated all the time. Now I'm off completely and feel OK most days.

However, the weight hasn't budged... I don't know when it's going to either. I am working my butt of and I haven't lost a single pound.

Did the Effexor help me during a rough spot in my life, yes. Do I regret taking it, YES! The withdrawl, the weight, the bandaide on my real 'emotions' wasn't worth it.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. (*&%^$^ This weight issue is a sore subject with me! My doc claims that the Effexor shouldn't have had any effect on my weight. I told her to go back and look at the level of my weight the past 3 years - it's all around 115 - 120. Then look after just 1 month on Paxil... a 15 pound gain! She just shrugged.

Okay, I'm done ranting... I'm just going to sit here being FAT!!!

Old 04-16-2004, 07:07 PM   #15
Inactive

serenity111 HB User

you sound EXACTLY like me! i was also 115-120, for years. i feel like a fat cow also! i work out 5 days a week, aerobics 2X a week, and eat very healthy. this weight will not budge. ive never been so unhappy in my life, that a med can do this. i went off celexa (it made me sleep all day) and the weight gain, i went off by myself, and never felt soooooo sick in my life! i thought i was going to die. took 3 weeks to withdrawl from it. so, im now just trying my hardest to lose the weight, and clearing my body of all med's. good luck to you!

Closed Thread