It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #1

prettyboi22 HB User
feelin good hand book by david burns

Hello

I just bought this book and started reading it last night. Has anyone else here read this book? or is in the process of reading it? I am using it to start my CBT and was wondering if anyone else here is in that process? has it helped u?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: feelin good hand book by david burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboi22
... I am using it to start my CBT and was wondering if anyone else here is in that process? has it helped u?
I read the Burns book a number of years ago. I didn't do the exercises so I can't say it helped alot. Thanks to billy and elana's urging, I've recent read the Obitz book which is VERY similiar. I've just been doing the TEA exercise for a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 04:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

My son is an RN, he told me about this book years ago, they use it at the hospital where he works.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Hello

I just bought this book and started reading it last night. Has anyone else here read this book? or is in the process of reading it? I am using it to start my CBT and was wondering if anyone else here is in that process? has it helped u?
I had great success with the Obitz and Burns books. I did not have the handbook but based on the title I am guessing it is quite similar to Feeling Good. To me the TEA form and the counter exercises were the most useful in my recovery.
Congrats on getting started on CBT

Billy

Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #5

sarah1000 HB User

I am actually doing a report on that book LOL! It was used in a clinical trial to compare the usefulness of the book alone to similar treatment with a counselor, and they found that the book not only reduced depression, it maintained the reduction in symptoms over three years and was virtually equivalent to the therapist-based treatment! Not that anyone should change their treatment strategy, and having a therapist is useful, but for people who are reluctant to go to counseling, the book may be an good first step.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
I had great success with the Obitz and Burns books. I did not have the handbook but based on the title I am guessing it is quite similar to Feeling Good. To me the TEA form and the counter exercises were the most useful in my recovery.
Congrats on getting started on CBT

Billy
Billy, you'll be glad to hear that I ordered Burns book, plus he has a new one out too, so I ordered both of them. Talked to my son, he teaches CBT for day out-patients & that is the book he uses.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
Billy, you'll be glad to hear that I ordered Burns book, plus he has a new one out too, so I ordered both of them. Talked to my son, he teaches CBT for day out-patients & that is the book he uses.
Excellent news Lori I am really happy for you and if you use the tools you won't regret it and it will likely change your life

Keep me posted!

Billy

P.S. You have been resisiting CBT all this time and never told me your son teaches it?

Old 04-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Sorry!!! I knew he did therapy in his work, but didn't tell me til Sunday that he also teaches it, when I told him I ordered the books. I always knew he worked on the psych floor, but didn't realize that he did the out patient therapy. Usually when we get together, it's so hectic with 6 little grandkids running around, we don't get to talk about his work. We have talked a lot lately, since I've been going to the pdoc he works with. I wasn't so much resisting cbt, as just seeing another new doctor. I talked to my son about it to see if he thought I could get as much from the book as actually going to a new therapist. I am always asking his advice about meds, but he never mentioned how much cbt they do there & as much as prescribing meds. So, guess it would pay for me to be more informed about my kids!!!!

At this point, I really just want to read the book & try it on my own, then see if I think I will need help of a therapist. I've had a rough road since Oct. & I actually don't even want to try anymore AD's right now. I'm still taking the Klonopin, one at bedtime & it seems to be keeping me OK right now, so maybe if the cbt works, I won't have to try anymore AD's!!! I'll keep you posted, in fact, may have questions for you once I get started..

Old 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Sorry!!! I knew he did therapy in his work, but didn't tell me til Sunday that he also teaches it, when I told him I ordered the books. I always knew he worked on the psych floor, but didn't realize that he did the out patient therapy. Usually when we get together, it's so hectic with 6 little grandkids running around, we don't get to talk about his work. We have talked a lot lately, since I've been going to the pdoc he works with. I wasn't so much resisting cbt, as just seeing another new doctor. I talked to my son about it to see if he thought I could get as much from the book as actually going to a new therapist. I am always asking his advice about meds, but he never mentioned how much cbt they do there & as much as prescribing meds. So, guess it would pay for me to be more informed about my kids!!!!

At this point, I really just want to read the book & try it on my own, then see if I think I will need help of a therapist. I've had a rough road since Oct. & I actually don't even want to try anymore AD's right now. I'm still taking the Klonopin, one at bedtime & it seems to be keeping me OK right now, so maybe if the cbt works, I won't have to try anymore AD's!!! I'll keep you posted, in fact, may have questions for you once I get started..
I'm just glad you are getting started on CBT Ask your son if they use the Obitz book too? I know many groups start with it and then go to Burns to keep people from getting overwhelmed early on and giving up.

Feel free to ask any questions

Billy

Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #10

prettyboi22 HB User
Question Re: feelin good hand book by david burns

Quote:

hey are u talking about the exact same book im reading? right now im on part 2 where are u right now? how r u liking it? feeling good handbook by david burns

Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
I'm just glad you are getting started on CBT Ask your son if they use the Obitz book too? I know many groups start with it and then go to Burns to keep people from getting overwhelmed early on and giving up.

Feel free to ask any questions

Billy
Billy, I will see him Saturday & ask him about it. My books haven't arrived yet, I may have lots of questions once I start reading.

Old 04-16-2004, 02:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
hey are u talking about the exact same book im reading? right now im on part 2 where are u right now? how r u liking it? feeling good handbook by david burns
Yes, that is the book I ordered, but haven't received it yet. How do you like it? Is it too confusing or does it go too fast in the treatment?

I'd like to hear your views of it, since you are a newbie to it too.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM   #13

prettyboi22 HB User

hi

ok well the book is not complex it seems pretty simple and takes u step by step at a time its a pretty big book though. i only started reading it this week and am already on page 80. It seems that it also takes work on our part. I havent noticed a differance but i dont think we will see MUCH differance till we start applying the CBT to our everyday life right now is the learning proccess. I think the book really does make sense though a lot of it probably applies to everyone with depression or anxeity. I hope it goes god for me. When r u getting ur book?

Old 04-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #14

iRiSh_GiRL11 HB User

where can u get the books from?

i think people said they had to order them??...

[[[[ please read the rules - not allowed to post how
or where. Only the book title and author's name. ]]]]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-16-2004 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

If you put the title of the book's or the author's name in a search engine you can usually find most books

Billy

Closed Thread