It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #1

msdragon109 HB User
Lexapro side effects

I've been taking lexapro for about 2 months now and I've recently started having bruising on my legs and pain in both my arms and legs. It's the strangest feeling, like Comet or something is running thru my blood veins and made them raw inside. Does anyone else know of this happening?? My legs have become very painful.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #2

bastila HB User
Re: Lexapro side effects

i have been of Lexapro twice, now being the second. and i did not have any side effects that you listed. It may be making me feel more sleepy and it may be keeping me from sleeping as well as i usually sleep, or my depression may just be making me sleep and the cause of the minor sleep distrubance. While it is possilbe the Lexapro is the cause it sound like there is something ealse wrong. You might read the side effects that have been reported about Lexapro. If the pharmist did not give you information when you recieved your Rx you can ask them for the information.
I would report your symptoms to your doctor.
Sincerely,
Bastila

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #3

free_butterfly HB User

I have been on Lexapro for about 4 months. I have noticed that I have bruising on my legs! I thought it was from painting the house and resting my legs up against the ladder. Never thought it could be the Lexapro. Going to read the insert when I get my next batch of pills.
Glad I read this post. Makes me wonder.
Oh, I don't have that other thing you said about Comet running through your veins.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:52 AM   #4

msdragon109 HB User

LOL@comet in veins. That's the only way I knew to describe it but it does sound a little ridiculous. It's like all my veins in my legs and some in my arms are simply raw or inflammed. The bruising has stopped this week but it went away about 3 weeks ago and came back again. It directly relates to the times when I have the severe pains in my "veins'. I'm glad you posted. I thought I had truly flipped!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #5

sharonlynn HB User

i was on Lexapro for only a week and a half and i hated it. I bloated up, my breat became so sore and swollen and painful to the touch I felt like I was breastfeeding all over again. I was miserable. Also, I missed a pill one day and had a very scary, almost hallucination type episode. So, went off of it. Turns out I am mild bipolar and a straight anitdepressant does more harm than good for me esp. when I am cycleing and having a lot of anxiety, hyperactivity, insomnia ect... so my pdoc put me on Topomax as a mood stabalalizer to see if it helps level things out. Hope I helped a bit. Take care.
shar

Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I really doubt the leg pain could be a side-effect. What does your doctor say?

Old 04-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

Kimberly8 HB User

Could someone give me advice? I am on Lexapro and Seroquel. The depression part is getting better...but I take the seroquel only at night because it makes me so sleepy. I was prescribed the Seroquel to be taken 3 times a day for anxiety...but I can't or I'll be asleep ! I have kids to take care of etc....Any suggestions on what to take during the day to give me a lift in anxiety but not knock me out?? Thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 05:55 AM   #8

msdragon109 HB User

it's great that you have a diagnosis sharonlynn. my husband is bipolar and takes depakote. he also takes lexapro. it has completely taken his sex drive away and even his ability to show any tenderness at all towards me. the only one he acts like he cares about at all is his daughter. i hear him on the phone with her talking in these sweet soft tones and the ugly tones he uses to me is nothing like it. sometimes i feel like simply leaving but i love him too much to desert him when he's ill.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #9

cindy12345 HB User

My daughter is on Lexapro, Topamax, and Seraquel. She {thankfully} has had no symptons like you have described. Only side effect she seems to have from any is if she is late on her seraquel then she says she feels like she is racing inside. She takes 20mg. lexapro and 100mg topamax in the am and 100mg seraquel and 150 mg. topamax in the pm. Definately check with your doctor

Old 04-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #10

nmber591 HB User

This is a question for the fellas out there taking lexapro, are you ever again able to achieve an orgasm? Most of the other side effects have gone away now, after two months on the stuff and other wise I feel pretty good. But this no more orgasm thing has me worried. Please let me know if there is hope.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #11

bastila HB User

I am having bruses show up and i do not remember hurting myself. Also my brain is feeling unclear and i am having trouble remember what is going on around me. Any of you experinceing memory problems while on lexapro? I am becoming concerned about this drug.
bastila

Last edited by bastila; 04-28-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #12

idhalls HB User
Red face Re: Lexapro side effects

I too am having some weird bruising on my feet and shins (like a bruise but not a bruise)! Started right after i had a virus AND started Lexapro. Is this what everyone else is having too?? I don't seem to have any other symptoms but plan to go off lexapro if this is what it is causing. Please respond!!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:00 PM   #13

bastila HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idhalls
I too am having some weird bruising on my feet and shins (like a bruise but not a bruise)! Started right after i had a virus AND started Lexapro. Is this what everyone else is having too?? I don't seem to have any other symptoms but plan to go off lexapro if this is what it is causing. Please respond!!
I have started to bruse and am having joint swelling. I feel aweful. This is so discouraging as the Lexapro was doing so well for treating my depression.
I am having withdrawl headacks and stomack upset, still brusing and my whole body is beginning to hurt.
Bastila

Last edited by bastila; 05-03-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling corrections of course

Old 05-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #14

xjadedxgracex HB User
Question Re: Lexapro side effects

i am 17 years old, and it is the start of my 6th day on lexapro. it is hell. the first day i took it, i thought i was going to die, chest fluttering, jaw chattering as though i were freezing, meanwhile im sweating and it feels as though my skin is on fire, and my veins are burning. migraines. i keep spacing out, in the middle of conversations, it takes all my energy to focus on any one thing, its taken me ten minutes to get this far in typing a simple paragraph.apetite is gone, anytime i smell or taste food, i feel as though i am going to throw up. i cant sleep, yet i am tired beyond all belief. for the first time in my life, i am having nightmares. i dont remember them, but i am waking my mom up nightly screaming in my sleep. rather than dimming my anxiety and depression (going just as strong, and anxiety seems to have increased) it has numbed my other emotions, i find it nearly impossible to laugh, things i would normally be in tears laughing over,i have to force myself to laugh at. i have no motivation to do anything, and yet, i cant stand to sit still.i keep getting these weird sensations, and ringing in my ears. my doctor assures me these are all normal, and will subside. i was curious as to whether or not any one else experienced these symptoms, and if/when the subsided.

any responses will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by xjadedxgracex; 05-11-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #15

bastila HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjadedxgracex
. my doctor assures me these are all normal, and will subside. i was curious as to whether or not any one else experienced these symptoms, and if/when the subsided.
any responses will be greatly appreciated
Dear Friend,

Personally it does not sound like Lexapro is right for you, not to say it might work better later. You are young and so meds will react differently for you.
And different types of depression respond better to certain meds.
Ask your dr. if you can try another med. And then again some people have tryed differnent meds and have had unpleasent reaction on all of them.
I did very well on Lexapro for a month before the horrid side effects started.
Try taking on excersizing or running. Truely that has been the one thing that has worked as well at the meds without major bad side effects.
I do not like running... but i think it may be my best means of combating the depression.
Bastila

Closed Thread