It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #1

NANKY HB User
Question I Don't Want To Take The Medicine

I AM TIRED OF TAKING THE MEDS. I AM JUST GETTING FATTER AND FATTER.
I HAVE BEEN TAKING MEDS FOR 3 YEARS AND I HAD THERAPY(THAT WAS A WASTE FOR ME) I FEEL DOWN SOMETIMES BUT NOT LIKE YOU DON'T WANT TO GET OUT OF BED(LIKE BEFORE) AND SOMETIMES HOPELESS, BUT NOT LIKE BEFORE. I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE IMPROVED AND NO LONGER NEED THE MEDS OR IF THEY ARE WORKING,OR JUST A BANDAGE AND MY DEPRESSION WILL COME BACK, BUT I WANT TO TRY WITH OUT THEM. I HAVE TAPPERED DOWN BY MYSELF AND I FEEL ALRIGHT. I AM NOT SAYING THAT MEDICATION IS NOT GOOD, I FEEL IT IS VERY IMPORTANT BUT FOR ME I THINK IT IS ONLY A BANDAGE. IS THERE ANYONE THAT GOT OFF THE MEDS AND FELT GOOD AGAIN WITHOUT THEM? AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE IF YOU DID?

Old 04-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #2

chelann HB User
Re: I Don't Want To Take The Medicine

I was on Lexapro and I did gain weight 17lbs! So I stopped, My husband can't understand that I don't want to be fat! I need to find an alternative because it is killing my marriage. I feel like he will leave if I get fat (He really wouldn't) (I don't think!)Or he will leave if I keep acting like a nut! I wish to God I had a normal mind!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #3

possum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiVOC
oh and your are right about the bandage, it is just a masking type of treatment.
The acu-cell.com site you mention appears to be promoting some kind of more advance supplement(s).

Aren't vitamin & mineral supplements (chemical concoctions made in a laboratory) also a bandage, masking an inadequate diet?

Old 04-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #4

NANKY HB User

THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE COMMENTS. BY THE WAY I STARTED ON CELEXA, THAT STARTED 20 EXTRA POUNDS, LEXAPRO ADDED MORE, SO NOW I AM ON WELLBUTERIN/ THEY SAY IT WILL HELP YOU LOOSE WEIGHT WELL NOT ME. I GIVE UP. I WAS TOLD IF I TOOK THE MEDS I WOULD FEEL GOOD AGAIN, ENOUGH TO WALK ALOT AND I WOULD LOOSE THE WEIGHT. I AM AT A HIGHER WEIGHT THAN EVER(EXCEPT FOR PREGNANCY) AND TOO TIRED TO WALK FROM THE MEDS.( SORRY TO BE SUCH A GROUCH)

Old 04-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

All SSRIs have the potential to cause weight gain.
If you just stop taking the meds and don't do anything else to help your depression it will just come back. DO NOT stop taking them without talking to your doctor first.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #6

NANKY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
All SSRIs have the potential to cause weight gain.
If you just stop taking the meds and don't do anything else to help your depression it will just come back. DO NOT stop taking them without talking to your doctor first.
I TALKED TO THE DOCTOR, SHE SAID SEE WHAT THE THERIPST SAID. WHEN I TALKED TO THE THERAPIST, SHE SAID TAPPER OFF IN THREE WEEKS,
I STOPPED GOING 6 MONTHS AGO. ALL SHE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT WAS MY CHILDHOOD, I HAD A GREAT CHILDHOOD WITH REALLY GOOD PARENTS.
MY DEPRESSION WAS DUE TO MONEY WHICH SHE DID NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT. I LEFT HER AND I FEEL BETTER ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT SINCE I WAS THAT CLOSE I COULD TRY.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANKY
I TALKED TO THE DOCTOR, SHE SAID SEE WHAT THE THERIPST SAID. WHEN I TALKED TO THE THERAPIST, SHE SAID TAPPER OFF IN THREE WEEKS,
I STOPPED GOING 6 MONTHS AGO. ALL SHE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT WAS MY CHILDHOOD, I HAD A GREAT CHILDHOOD WITH REALLY GOOD PARENTS.
MY DEPRESSION WAS DUE TO MONEY WHICH SHE DID NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT. I LEFT HER AND I FEEL BETTER ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT SINCE I WAS THAT CLOSE I COULD TRY.
The answer for me was Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. CBT is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you think you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Based on what I have seen with the people I know who used CBT the more dedicated you are to the tools the faster and deeper the recovery regardless of how bad their anxiety was when they got started. It was inspiring to see the people that dove in head first and how fast they started seeing results to those of us like me that were more skeptical and less dedicated to using the tools in the beginning. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of CBT. That's why I think group settings can be especially effective with CBT because you can see the people that are working the hardest to get well making the most progress and it becomes infectious.
Hope this is helpful to you

Billy

Old 04-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #8

NANKY HB User

: Thank You BILLY I Will Look Into This. I Have Been Doing Much Better, And I Have Had A Challange. I Handled It Without Falling Apart.

Last edited by NANKY; 04-21-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANKY
: Thank You BILLY I Will Look Into This. I Have Been Doing Much Better, And I Have Had A Challange. I Handled It Without Falling Apart.
You're welcome and glad to hear you handled your challenge so well
Let me know if you have any CBT questions and take care!

Billy

Closed Thread