It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
Effexor XR turmoil -- how long until I should give up?

So, I've been on effexor XR for three weeks, and I'm basically wondering when the point is that I should give up and think, this isn't helping me? Like, I know it can take four or five weeks to feel better in some cases, but should I be seeing SOME improvement by this point? I'm sorry, I don't mean to whine, I'm just frustrated about being so unhappy....

Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #2

Spasm HB User
Re: Effexor XR turmoil -- how long until I should give up?

You may want to do some research on the Internet regarding Effexor. There is a lawsuit out now against Pizer. A whistle blower, who worked for Pizer, told that Pizer lied about what illnesses Effexor and Neurontin really help. Pizer said they did research, but did not. Now people are saying that these drugs actually caused more depression and some people committed suicide on them. I was on Effexor, but it gave me very bad muscle cramps in my legs. My doctor tried to say that Effexor would not do that. I did research and found out that these two drugs have caused lots of problems for other people. It was also shown that a lot of doctors were in on the scam with Pizer. You can find out more information about the lawsuit at Reuters.com. Hope this helps some. I would not take it, if it is not helping. I don't think these drugs are good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Effexor xr made my heart race so bad & made me more anxious & more panic that I went off of it after 2 1/2 weeks. I had horrible withdrawal after only being on it that short time too.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #4
(female)

Well fortunately I'm not really experiencing any negative side effects (other than slight disruption in sleep, but nothing terrible....) and I know effexor has helped a lot of people, so I'm just wondering how long it takes the people it has helped (I know some of you are here!) to feel better.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

If you are willing to give it a go, wait out the 6 to 8 weeks. It can take that long, no doctor can tell you, as it's different for each person & each med. Some doctors will give you a benzo to help til the AD kicks in. You may want to ask your doctor about that. Benzos like xanax, ativan, Klonopin. Some people take them along with their AD also. It would help you til the AD kicked in. You can take benzos as needed & do not have to take them daily.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:40 AM   #6

google2007 HB User

Hi there Dk. Well , I have been on effexor since January. To be honest with you, it took about 8 weeks to fully kick in on me. But once it did , I think it is worth it. I took 37.5mgxr for 3 weeks then went up to 75mg xr once a day. I was a total worry wart before. Now that effexor has kicked in I dont worry like I did. So it has help me tremedously with anxiety and depression. What dosage are you on? Keep me posted on your effexor experience.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
(female)

Hi, google. I'm also on 75 mg, once a day. (I took 37.5 mg for a week, and I've been on 75 for two). And thanks, I really needed to hear that I shouldn't give up hope. I'm in grad school right now, and I'm presenting a paper at a national conference next week for the first time, so there are definitely situational factors in play that aren't entirely irrational, I don't think... But it would be nice to not feel the need to cry about it every day, and just do what I have to do! You said it took 8 weeks to fully kick in for you -- not to be dumb, but what does that feel like? Was it a gradual thing, or did you just wake up one day and realize you'd stopped worrying? I'm sorry to ask what are probably entirely obvious questions, but I was on zoloft for three months and never had any success, so I just don't know what to expect when a drug actually decides to work. Ha ha. Anyway, thanks so much for your response!

Old 04-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #8

google2007 HB User

Hi Dk, Congrats on grad school. I know what you are going through. College was all ways a rough time for me, but unfortunately did not have insurance to go to doctor . You stand pride when you present your paper. Remember, the ones watching are just ppl like you and me are. You ask if it kicked in gradually or I just woke up one day feeling the effect? It was kind of both. I noticed gradually , I felt like I was waking up. For example, looking around the house one day and thinking, my god how was I living like this: house work too far behind: and that was not at the 8 week mark. You know it was just little things like that for a while. Then one day it is like , I felt the full effect of it. You ask how it feels? I feel calmer, for example, I have more patience with my children and fellow employees at work. I dont ponder on things, that really wouldnt worth pondering about. Finally, I dont dread doing things like I did before. Just go ahead and do them. Let me tell you this. Woman I work with, got a prescription for it, after I did. Dont know if she seen it working for me or what. She ask me the other day , how much I took a day. She has been taking 75mg xr for 3 weeks just like you. She didnt think it was helping her much. But yet, she got out day before and cleaned her garage, outside of house down and windows. lol.....But I told her it took about 8 weeks for me. But she upped hers to 150mg. But I dont believe she is realizing it is helping her. Especially after doing all that work that day. LOL. I hope this helps. I will keep you posted on me and her.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #9

BlueBee HB User

Hello,

I started out on regular effexor, 75mg. I was on it for a month and I couldn't feel a difference. I then was put on 150mg. effexor xr. I want so badly for it to work, but after about 2 months still not feeling much difference.
I wanted my dr. to raise the dose again, she now thinks I need to visit a mental health professional which I can't afford. She(dr.) thinks I am (the "S") word, which I'm NOT. (Can't mention it on this board.)
Instead of going through the third degree with the dr. I have decided to stop taking it starting tomorrow. I really think that if my dose was raised it might of worked.
If you feel that it's not working for you, call your dr. and tell them. Only you know your body and your mind the best and know if a medicine is working or not.
Best of luck to you...

p.s. after reading some of these posts about withdrawaling from anti-dep. drugs, I am sure I'm going to go through some type of withdrawal. I've suddenly stopped taking other SSRI's and I was cranky, depressed, mean, anxious, sad, etc. but I never die by my own hands, I respect God too much to do anything stupid like that...

Last edited by BlueBee; 04-15-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
(male)

peaceseeker2 HB User

Hi there. I am on Effexor XR too. I am currently at 300 mg. a day. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but, if you have been on it for just three weeks, it may take a little longer for it to work. If you are not satisfied with the results, your physician might augment the Effexor XR with something to try to get a better response out of it with something like Wellbutrin or a psychostimulent like Ritalin, Adderall, etc. I was responding to the Effexor in the sense I was functioning better but psychologically and emotionally it did not seem to be doing anything. My psychiatrist added Adderal XR at 20 mg. a day, and I am starting to actually feel better. I sort of felt like we were beating a dead horse, but to my surprise, it seems to be helping. Prior to the addition of the psychostimulant, I was having some really morbid, dark, thoughts and funks revolving around how I would be better off dead. That seems to be decreasing quite a bit. Just a note of caution, keep an eye on your blood pressure. Effexor can sometimes raise blood pressures at higher doses. It seems that mine has been a little elevated recently so that is something I am going to have to address with my psychiatrist the next time I see him. Oh, that is another thing, there is the option of raising your Effexor XR dosage. So, hang in there. There is hope.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
(female)

Karon HB User

This is probably not a good question. But I was wondering .... does anyone have a drink or small glass of wine once a week or so while taking Effexor XR???? It says "avoid" not forbidden. Tx

Old 04-19-2004, 02:06 PM   #12

PeggyHarmon HB User

I'm on my 5th wk on Effexor XL 37.5 mg x 2 a day. My dr wanted it both taken together, but I split mine up for morning and one at noon. I love it. I noticed a new me emerge quickly and back to myself again. My only side effect was the vision blurs occassionally through the day. i don't know if it is the meds, or the fact I key in data all day at work and regular eye strain. I was on paxil years ago, and this has been a blessing. I do notice a increase in wanting to snack on salt or sweets. I am less irritable, moody, and I feel like I can cope. I've had no suicidal thoughts on the meds. My depression is kept at bay as well as my anxiety and panic attacks.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
(female)

skr HB User

if i was you i would not take it . i took it for a while, and i never benefited from it. i felt a bit better at 10 days, but after that it was all downhill. im no doc - just an angry patient, whos been 'patient' for too damn long.
no more pills. that stuff in the news is scary.

Closed Thread