It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #1

gfd HB User
I feel more depressed on meds

I hate that people sit there and say meds work I dont believe work for everybody I been many different meds and they make me more depressed I thought when got help I would not get worse I"M tired everybody saying that work I dont believe work for everybody if depression cureable why are 50,000 people killing theirself a year if they were on med and work right that stop them from killing theirself. IF meds work why people still killing themself? People that kill theirself are depressed I mean you would not just killself if you were not depressed. I know meds work for some people but I just dont think work for everybody because on meds I got worse and now day's I choose not to be on meds . I"m sick hearing about people that use meds and said they work I wanted here from people that use them and said they didnt work for them and how long you use them and what have you try?

Old 04-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I feel more depressed on meds

Hi,

That's unfortunate for you that they didn't work. But, all you have to do is read the postings on this board and you'll see that many have tried different meds, some with success, others not. There are many who say meds haven't or aren't working for them.

Have you tried any kind of therapy?

Have you seen a psychologist?

How's your communication with your doctor?

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 01:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

No one has stated that meds work for everyone or that they cure depression. At the present time, even a doctor will tell you there is no cure for depression, there are treatments to help you feel better & deal with depression, but I know of no cure.

Also, some people are treatment resistant & some people do actually react to the meds to the opposite where it causes them more depression.

Like Quicy said, there are many posts here where people say the meds do not work for them. I, myself, have not found a new AD since last OCT that works for me, so I am among them right now.

Have you tried CBT?

Old 04-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #4

PrimalSympathy HB User
Unhappy Re: I feel more depressed on meds

Medication does not work for everyone. Depression is so hard to treat because I supposed the doctors can only ASSUME that a depressed person has a seratonin (sp?) definicency, because that is the CHEMICAL "cause of depression." There are so many causes of depression that are not chemical, but doctors usually have the mentality that putting a depressed person on an anti depressants can't HURT the person (wrong). I will admit that a large portion of my depression is caused by problems that I need to work out with an analyst. Thinking people dont' like me, I am not pretty enough, ect. Obviously thinking these things, makes me depressed, so the doctors have pumped me full of anti depressants. (I have been on FOUR at a time, uppers, downers, and stabilizers) Can they make you more depressed? YES, THEY CAN. Not only am I still depressed, but because of the medications I now have a diminshed sex drive and night sweats (Effexor) Fatigue and loss of concentration (Trazadone, taken for sleep but induces an unhealthy sleep), ect. You have to be the #1 in charge when it comes to what drugs you put in your body, because psychiatric drugs can elevated feelings of depression because of their physical side effects, which can exacerbate the patients condition. HAHA, I AN NO DOCTOR..........I have am going through the same questions and concerns as you. Actually I just posted a similar post voicing my concerns about my medications. I am on a nice "drug cocktail" now, which is what I think people need to stay away from.
I guess I have come to the conclusion that when someone is depressed, trying them on one medication and monitoring them is worth a try. And it wil take months to see if it has any effect, and therapy as well. If the medication is not working (of course sometimes patients, including me, think they aren't working when others observing them have witnessed that they have helped) or if they side effects are worse than the depression, it is time to discontinue.
I have been suicidal, an incidentally it was at a time when I was on four heavy medications (and was just introducing one) My life was a mess, and on top of that I was drenched in sweat everynight and waking up in a puddle of my own sweat freezing in the morning, feeling hung over because I was not sleeping soundly or healthily due to night sweats (which I still have) and my sleeping pills, with no sex drive and so exhausted I couldn't read. I got to that point and I am thinking, maybe this is just HOW I AM and will always be, why go on? But I have to now find out who I am without medications....
I am still unhealthy and unhappy so don't think you are getting advice from a healthy sane person....but I do know that these drugs they pump you full of are MAJOR DRUGS YOU DON'T TAKE LIGHTLY.
And as for the suicide concern you talked about (50,000 people killing themselves a year) Yes, I think many are due to misuse of medication, improper therapy, ect. But sadly, I also think that all suicides can not be prevented. Not everyone will be healed, and its the saddest thing in the universe.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

GFD,

If antidepressants don't work for you, then you certainly shouldn't take them. Would you do me a favor and keep this in mind just in case at some point, you become so depressed that you just can't go on? There are many antidepressants out there. The fact that a couple of them (or alot of them) didn't work for you, doesn't mean that none of them will for you. If you're opposed to them, that's fine; I just hate to see you give up the hope that you might need someday.

The SSRI class of antidepressants have been "miracle drugs" for me. I get so depressed at times that thoughts of suicide are ever-present. The SSRI's take those thoughts away within a few days of beginning treatment. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have never lived this long without them. Do I think they work for everyone? No. Do I think everyone who is feeling down should try them? No. But they ARE a Godsend for some of us.

I'd be curious if any studies have been done regarding those who commit suicide. I'd be interested to know how many were on medication, how many were in therapy, and how many were going it alone. Hmmm. Anyone know?

Old 04-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #6

PrimalSympathy HB User

Ya know what I have always wondered? Why do doctors always focus on Seratonin and not dopamine? Are there not any drugs that enhance the production of dopamine? My problem is the SSRI's have never helped me, so I always wondered if it was not seratonin that was the culprit. They say romantic love produces dopamine..........and that wonderful feeling we get from that! So maybe many people depressed do not get results from SSRI's because it is not the chemical seratonin that is deficient?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalSympathy
Ya know what I have always wondered? Why do doctors always focus on Seratonin and not dopamine? Are there not any drugs that enhance the production of dopamine? My problem is the SSRI's have never helped me, so I always wondered if it was not seratonin that was the culprit. They say romantic love produces dopamine..........and that wonderful feeling we get from that! So maybe many people depressed do not get results from SSRI's because it is not the chemical seratonin that is deficient?
Primal-
The Tricyclics are focussed exclusively on dopamine and Remeron works on both dopamine and serotonin. I hope this is helpful and I'm sure there are other meds your pdoc can tell you about that I am unaware of that work on dopamine

Billy

Old 04-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd
I hate that people sit there and say meds work I dont believe work for everybody I been many different meds and they make me more depressed I thought when got help I would not get worse I"M tired everybody saying that work I dont believe work for everybody if depression cureable why are 50,000 people killing theirself a year if they were on med and work right that stop them from killing theirself. IF meds work why people still killing themself? People that kill theirself are depressed I mean you would not just killself if you were not depressed. I know meds work for some people but I just dont think work for everybody because on meds I got worse and now day's I choose not to be on meds . I"m sick hearing about people that use meds and said they work I wanted here from people that use them and said they didnt work for them and how long you use them and what have you try?
The answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt). I was on meds for many years before I found cbt and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in cbt you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of cbt. Give it a try if you are willing to invest a little effort in yourself to get better

Billy

Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yeah, hooray!!! (rah,rah,sis-boom-bah) B-I-L-L-Y for cognitive behavioural ther-a-py!!!! Yahoo!!

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy......It's something that helps one learn to be totally introspective and seek on a cognitive level to interrupt the automatic bad (irrational) thoughts that can cause anxiety and anxiety/panic attacks. By interrupting the irrational thoughts and replacing them with alternative and appropriate thoughts...they soon become automatic and the anxiety attacks cease.

FYI....

Effexor EX is an SNRI which is a seretonin/norepeniphrine and some dopamine reuptake inhibitor. I've taken it for a year and a half and done well on it for depression.

quincy

Old 04-17-2004, 02:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Yeah, hooray!!! (rah,rah,sis-boom-bah) B-I-L-L-Y for cognitive behavioural ther-a-py!!!! Yahoo!!

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy......It's something that helps one learn to be totally introspective and seek on a cognitive level to interrupt the automatic bad (irrational) thoughts that can cause anxiety and anxiety/panic attacks. By interrupting the irrational thoughts and replacing them with alternative and appropriate thoughts...they soon become automatic and the anxiety attacks cease.

FYI....

Effexor EX is an SNRI which is a seretonin/norepeniphrine and some dopamine reuptake inhibitor. I've taken it for a year and a half and done well on it for depression.

quincy
Quincy, are you still taking effexor after learning CBT? Just wondering, as I am at my wits end with trying new AD's and am waiting for my books to arrive & hopefully, be med free one day like Billy.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi lori,

I took CBT included in therapy looooooong before I took the Effexor. The effexor was my decision because of the depression I was in.

It's not the cure for anything, it was so that I could COPE. Life is brighter.

I still have to work at my thought processes, insecurities and procrastination.. and I go up and down with emotions....but they are mild in comparison to when I wasn't on Effexor.

It's still work. Nothing comes for free.

The books will definitely help because you'll be giving yourself the tools to deal with the thoughts. It will all make sense.

Being med free is a good goal. But remember it may not be an all or nothing. Life is ups and downs. Good and bad, wonderful and crappy. Crisis hits..and that may be a time when meds are needed.

If you think of it as recogising that it will never be the optimum and always fluctuating..your ideals will be less.

Seeking to have many options AVAILABLE for a variety of situations are what will make us feel less dependent, less desperate and less anxious.

I'm now re-reading a CBT book working on my thoughts. The Effexor is just the constant..but I'm not on a high dosage and don't intend on going higher. I'm feeling optimistic at the moment.

I think that's good.

Have a great weekend. Hope your books arrive soon.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-17-2004 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy

quincy
Quincy-
If I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to take over as "Head" CBT cheerleader LOL!
Thanks for the big smile and I love your other note here at the end of this string; lots of great insight in it

Take care and I hope this finds you well

Billy

Closed Thread