It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User
Question Depression, PDD, ADs, and Lab test Qs

A few questions to those of you who have experience or knowledge about ADs and other form of therapy:

What tests were conducted to you (lab work or therapy) before being told that your depression stems from a chemical imbalance?

What is/are the diagnosis/es given to you?

What is/are the mode of treatment/s suggested to you?

Why does AD cause someone to gain weight? Is this because you eat more when you take them, or what?

I recently attended a counseling session a few weeks ago and have seen another counselor just a few days back, both of which agreed that I am suffering from mild depression. They both referred me to a psychiatrist for medication; however, I personally do not advocate the use of medications early on, especially because I do not feel that they have exhausted all means to get to that intervention. Now I understand that medication + therapy works well in most occasions, but for mild depression, I do not see why they would want to rush you into taking the mind-altering ADs... Truthfully, I am a bit (ok, maybe a bit much) leery about taking medications without really knowing what is really causing my depression. Both counselors stated that I am exhibiting symptoms of classic depression (of which I am aware of) and that I am suffering from a chemical imbalance. I must tell you that I am not easily swayed by this opinion, I need proof. Sure they say they are the experts and that I should listen to them, but I honestly believe that if I am going to be given medications, I need to see the hard evidence (blood work and all that would indicate that I indeed suffer from some chemical imbalance). We have discussed that I am also suffering from PDD (premenstrual dysmorphic disorder). Isn't this something that is also diagnosed using lab work? Tell me if I am right or wrong. This is the first time that I am actually pursuing this kind of treatment so you can understand why I am extra cautious.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for answering my questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
Re: Depression, PDD, ADs, and Lab test Qs

There isn't a blood test for PMDD. It's diagnosed based on your symptoms. There are some tests they can do for hormones and stuff related to depression, but depression is nearly always just diagnosed based on your symptoms too. I know, it's frustrating!

Old 04-18-2004, 12:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Depression, PDD, ADs, and Lab test Qs

Kaitrin is right, there is no test for chemical imbalance in the brain. Sites that list symptoms usually say that if you have this many or that many of the symptoms liisted, then you probably have depression, I'm sure that doctors use that formula too, there is no other way at this time.

Closed Thread