It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

bluelady,

i took the liberty of rerouting this to the Depression Board, as we're talking depression really, and altho' no ADs work if one's thyroid doesn't work, i just thought it was more suited ... sorry if i confused you ...

with your heart problems, i agree that you're probably not a candidate for cytomel, b/c the one thing that it can do is affect the heart (thank the lord i don't have a problem there) ...

if you live in the states you can't get manerix, and this is what it's called if you live in other countries: Aurorix (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland); Manerix (Canada, Spain, UK); Moclamine (France);

i don't know why the FDA doesn't approve it for US use -- for one thing, the FDA is sometimes more advanced than Health Canada, so i'd like to find out why ... but i has been approved in many other countries whose approval departments i respect (UK, france, sweden) ...

bluelady, i understand completely about depression -- i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy either (altho' i have thought about it ... and am at this moment ) -- fortunately, i've only really had to deal with in about the past 10 to 15 years, when the SSRIs came to be, and i had one episode in my 30's when amytriptilline worked and it went away, sort of (i realize now that i've always had dysthymia, kind of a "blue" feeling) ... my dad was born in the days when the only ADs they had were, like, thorazine or something and seeing a psychiatrist was a shameful thing, so he drank to ease the pain, drank himself to death -- he joined AA, but never got off the bottle ... now i see him as a sad man, but i can't forgive what he plunged us into ...

manerix is a newer type of MAOI, sometimes called a MAOI - B, which doesn't include the food restrictions of MAOIs (you've been on ADs, so i'm assuming you know what an SSRI is), but MAOIs -- pronounced "maweez" -- are monoamine oxidase inhibitors -- some of them are Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate -- these have the food restrictions ...

and i'm sure you know about the tricyclic ADs -- amitriptyline is one ...

i'd suggest effexor -- an SNRI (selective norepinephrine reutake inhibitor -- i know there have been horror stories written about it, but SSRIs have their horror stories too (mainly by people who don't know just how much one can hurt -- we know the pain is unbearable) ... i took it at one time but went off it b/c it didn't work (guess what -- my TD hadn't been DX'd yet!) ... my DH takes it with much success, and it help with panic attacks too ... it has a slightly better rep. at curing depression than SSRIs ... the only thing is that you must be careful when going off it, and certainly not try to go off it cold turky as horrid side effects can occur (you must not, as i'm sure you know, go off any drug "cold turkey" -- as well as being dangerous, it's just plain stupid) ...

i warn you not to take remeron (another SNRI, like effexor) unless you want to sleep 15 hours a day -- really! and feel really dopey when you do get up, and bump into things and make everyone worry about you -- bleaaaggghhh

i too have panic/anxiety attacks (and have some sub-lingual ativan for when i do have one), but since my TD has been treated, i have far less need for them and guess what: panic/anxiety attacks are a symptom of TD!! i know the benzos are addictive too, so use them sparingly, and not as a sleeping pill unless i'm having an anxiety attack at bed-time (this seems to be my time to have them!), and then it's for the anxiety, b/c i sleep far too long if i take them as sleeping pills...

i just deal with the insomnia as best i can, and as long as i'm not nervous, seem to be able to drift into some sort of doze ... otherwise, you'll see me cruising the boards!!

thx, BL, for letting me get this off my chest ...
jb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #2

bluelady HB User
Smile Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

[QUOTE=jinglebts]bluelady,

i took the liberty of rerouting this to the Depression Board, as we're talking depression really, and altho' no ADs work if one's thyroid doesn't work, i just thought it was more suited ... sorry if i confused you

with your heart problems, i agree that you're probably not a candidate for cytomel, b/c the one thing that it can do is affect the heart (thank the lord i don't have a problem there) ...

bluelady, i understand completely about depression -- i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy either (altho' i have thought about it ... and am at this moment ) -- fortunately, i've only really had to deal with in about the past 10 to 15 years, when the SSRIs came to be, and i had one episode in my 30's when amytriptilline worked and it went away, sort of (i realize now that i've always had dysthymia, kind of a "blue" feeling) ... my dad was born in the days when the only ADs they had were, like, thorazine or something and seeing a psychiatrist was a shameful thing, so he drank to ease the pain, drank himself to death -- he joined AA, but never got off the bottle ... now i see him as a sad man, but i can't forgive what he plunged us into ...

manerix is a newer type of MAOI, sometimes called a MAOI - B, which doesn't include the food restrictions of MAOIs (you've been on ADs, so i'm assuming you know what an SSRI is), but MAOIs -- pronounced "maweez" -- are monoamine oxidase inhibitors -- some of them are Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate -- these have the food restrictions ...

and i'm sure you know about the tricyclic ADs -- amitriptyline is one ...

i'd suggest effexor -- an SNRI (selective norepinephrine reutake inhibitor -- i know there have been horror stories written about it, but SSRIs have their horror stories too (mainly by people who don't know just how much one can hurt -- we know the pain is unbearable) ... i took it at one time but went off it b/c it didn't work (guess what -- my TD hadn't been DX'd yet!) ... my DH takes it with much success, and it help with panic attacks too ... it has a slightly better rep. at curing depression than SSRIs ... the only thing is that you must be careful when going off it, and certainly not try to go off it cold turky as horrid side effects can occur (you must not, as i'm sure you know, go off any drug "cold turkey" -- as well as being dangerous, it's just plain stupid) ...

i warn you not to take remeron (another SNRI, like effexor) unless you want to sleep 15 hours a day -- really! and feel really dopey when you do get up, and bump into things and make everyone worry about you -- bleaaaggghhh

i too have panic/anxiety attacks (and have some sub-lingual ativan for when i do have one), but since my TD has been treated, i have far less need for them and guess what: panic/anxiety attacks are a symptom of TD!! i know the benzos are addictive too, so use them sparingly, and not as a sleeping pill unless i'm having an anxiety attack at bed-time (this seems to be my time to have them!), and then it's for the anxiety, b/c i sleep far too long if i take them as sleeping pills...

i just deal with the insomnia as best i can, and as long as i'm not nervous, seem to be able to drift into some sort of doze ... otherwise, you'll see me cruising the boards!!

thx, BL, for letting me get this off my chest ...
jb[/QU

Hi jb,
I'm still trying to figure out this whole qoute thing so please forgive my stupidty.
No, you didn't confuse me at all by rerouting here.
The heart business makes it difficult for me to take many meds including lots of otc's. Even my inhalers give me problems but if I don't use them, I don't breathe very well. Big bummer.
Although I've never heard of Manerix, I'm quite familiar with the maoi's, tricylic's and the ssri's. (I know someone on remeron too so I know all about that) And I know first-hand of the horrors of Effexor. I'm one of those horror stories. When I weaned off Zoloft last December, my dr put me on Effexor. I was put on the initial starting dose (can't remember what it was), for one week and then went up to I believe it was 75mg, the theraputic dosage. The first week I had s/e's--increased anxiety, tremors, etc,. but I tried to stick it out. When I went up to the 75mg it got even worse. I went through almost four weeks of this crap until I finally couldn't take it anymore and called my dr. She told me to stop taking it. No weaning. I was in even worse shape from stopping it so suddenly. Talk about withdrawal syndrome!! It was pure hell for another two weeks. (My pharmacist told me that Effexor takes a long time to metabolize out of the system). Dr told me to take the Klonipin 3x's a day until the Effexor withdrawal wore off. Boy was I po'd at my dr for having me do it cold turkey!! I'll never, ever touch that stuff again. I have to add that I personally know people who have taken or are presently on Effexor and do well with it. I happen to be one of the people that it doesn't agree with. I also know people who don't like Zoloft. What works for one doesn't work for another because our systems are all different.
I didn't realize that panic/anxiety can be symptoms of TD. Are we talking hypo or hyper? I can understand them going along with hyper but hypo? There's still a lot I don't know but I'm slowly learning.
My anxiety seems to peak around lunchtime for some reason. I try to think "happy thoughts" when it strikes but it's often impossible to think it away. I've tried the deep breathing too---doesn't work. When I was on Zoloft I rarely had anxiety. I slept well too. That was until my thyroid went haywire. I'm hoping that since my TD is now "somewhat" under control that if I get back on Zoloft I can have some kind of normalcy in my life again. I forget what it's like to feel well and "normal".
Thank you jb for listening to me rant and vent. I'll let you know how my dr appointment goes this Wednesday. I'm sure I'll be leaving there with a script for some kind of an ad. I wish you well.
Hugs,
Bluelady

Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

hi BL,

hmph ... seems like we all have our horror stories with ADs ...

so how's your friend on remeron? it might not give you the side effects i had (major sleep, and last year i saw a post by someone on the Depression board who said it was great if you felt like sleeping 12 hours a day -- so maybe that was a side effect, if your friend is happy on remeron?) ... it might calm your noon anxiety attacks too? ... it's like manerix -- an SNRI, but manerix had absolutely no side effects for me and i was surprised to learn that remeron too is an SNRI...

gosh i hope the zoloft works for you again -- the paxil didn't for me, tho' i'd not had a problem with it b/f, during the 5 years previous that i'd been taking it ...

jb

Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #4

bluelady HB User
Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

Hi Jb,
I didn't know that Remeron was an SNRI. Anyway the person who's on it is actually my sister. She's bi-polar and takes Lithium and Prozac to help control her mood swings. They added the Remeron for her insomnia. She takes something else for insomnia but I can't rememeber what. The only complaint she's had about the remeron is weight gain. Poor thing is not only bi-polar but suffers from anxiety/panick attacks too. I'm sure that's why my Endo mentioned bi-polar to me--because of my sister (You know, the whole heredity thing).
Anyway, I hope and pray that Zolfoft will work for me once again. Before it pooped-out or the TD kicked in, (I'm not sure which is was to tell you the truth), I was doing fine on it. The anxiety was nonexistant and the depression lifted. Gosh, I could have a bottle of 90 Klonipin for 6 months or more before needing a refill. And even then I would only get refills "just in case". I simply didn't need the Klonipin while I was on the Zoloft. I feel like I'm back to square one again now. This is not living.
BL

Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelady
Hi Jb,
I didn't know that Remeron was an SNRI. Anyway the person who's on it is actually my sister. She's bi-polar and takes Lithium and Prozac to help control her mood swings. They added the Remeron for her insomnia. She takes something else for insomnia but I can't rememeber what. The only complaint she's had about the remeron is weight gain. Poor thing is not only bi-polar but suffers from anxiety/panick attacks too. I'm sure that's why my Endo mentioned bi-polar to me--because of my sister (You know, the whole heredity thing).
Anyway, I hope and pray that Zolfoft will work for me once again. Before it pooped-out or the TD kicked in, (I'm not sure which is was to tell you the truth), I was doing fine on it. The anxiety was nonexistant and the depression lifted. Gosh, I could have a bottle of 90 Klonipin for 6 months or more before needing a refill. And even then I would only get refills "just in case". I simply didn't need the Klonipin while I was on the Zoloft. I feel like I'm back to square one again now. This is not living.
BL
well, if it doesn't work, you could always try remeron -- almost everyone has some sort of weight gain prob. with one AD of another -- i gained weight on effexor...

i agree ... this is not living ...

jb

~ i forget -- have you tried Wellbutrin and Serzone?

Last edited by jinglebts; 04-21-2004 at 09:52 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #6

bluelady HB User
Post Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

[QUOTE=jinglebts]well, if it doesn't work, you could always try remeron -- almost everyone has some sort of weight gain prob. with one AD of another -- i gained weight on effexor...

i agree ... this is not living ...

jb

~ i forget -- have you tried Wellbutrin and Serzone?[/QUOT

Tried Wellbutrin, Paxil, Effexor, Serafem---all gave me bad side effects. Zoloft was the only one that didn't bother me. Never tried Serzone. I'm gonna look up Remeron just in case the Zoloft doesn't work this time around. Gosh, there's so many of them out there to choose from. It's all trial and error.
I started back on Zoloft today, 25mg then up to 50mg. (insert crossed fingers here) If I get any fatter I'm gonna burst, I've gained 60 lbs in the past 4 years!!!
bl

Old 04-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=bluelady]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
I started back on Zoloft today, 25mg then up to 50mg. (insert crossed fingers here) If I get any fatter I'm gonna burst, I've gained 60 lbs in the past 4 years!!!
bl
wow, but that's excellent!! i really hope it works, and have all my digits and limbs crossed for you! when will you know that it's working?

jb

Old 04-23-2004, 07:48 AM   #8

bluelady HB User
Smile Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
wow, but that's excellent!! i really hope it works, and have all my digits and limbs crossed for you! when will you know that it's working?

jb

Thanks for crossing everything for me. It'll probably take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to feel any difference. Two days on it and so far so good as far any side effects. But that could change when I go up to 50mg after a week on 25.
It worked well for me before until the td business. Hope it works this time. I'm gonna try to be as positive about it as I can.
Btw, how'd you get the little bouncy green guys on here? They're cute!

bl

Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: bluelady, from the thyroid board: in reply to "midwest, jinglebts, mintchoc ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelady
Thanks for crossing everything for me. It'll probably take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to feel any difference. Two days on it and so far so good as far any side effects. But that could change when I go up to 50mg after a week on 25.
It worked well for me before until the td business. Hope it works this time. I'm gonna try to be as positive about it as I can.
Btw, how'd you get the little bouncy green guys on here? They're cute!

bl
if you scroll to the right of the screen after clicking "reply" (either the one inside the post or the one outside), you should see a whole bunch of "smilies" ... if you can't find that feature anywhere on your screen, type ": bouncing :", only without the spaces and quotation marks -- colonbouncingcolon ... (if i type it here, it'll just turn into the blob) ...

well, at least you reduce the likelihood of side effects that way -- XXXXXXX!

jb

Old 04-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #10

buddha504 HB User

this thread is very interesting. i'm glad i found it.

so does anyone here have any experience taking an MAOI? what, if any side effects did you have? i have been on every SSRI known to man. many work well, but all have horrible side effects for me-- massive weight gain and sexual side effects.

Closed Thread