It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User
Exclamation group meeting or not?

i have deceided i will stop living my life like this and take control.I live in va and i'm gonna look for self-help therapy or group meetings.i checked out the recovery,inc.i don't know if i need to go to the regular doctor to get a recommendation for a pschyotherapist,don't know if i spelled i right.

what do you guys prefer:groups or just you and the professional?please let me know

i don't know if i'm ready to join a group yet,it is a big step even thinking about calling my doc and find out if i have depression,,,,,,

Old 04-18-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran

Man Apart HB User
Re: group meeting or not?

I think a intensive inpatient group therapy can be very helpful. Regualr groups are ok too. Havign a therapist is always important. I wouldn't just limit myself between one or the other. I think you should always see a therapist on a regular basis, but I think 3 weeks in a group program would really broaden your perspective, help you see things better and youll be able to interact with other people that you can relate to. It did wonders for me. Youll meet nice people and even make a friend or two. The group therapy, depending on where you go of course, can consist of alot of one on one roleplaying and alot of intense and deep discussions. Alot of sharing and nurturing. The more honest and open you are the better. The therapist at my group really tried to tap into each person. Alot of people were searching for the same answers. And I was able to learn from them and better understand what I was going through. It generally made me feel better. The only thing I hated was not being able to stay longer. I say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. And potentially so much to gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Re: group meeting or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna22
i have deceided i will stop living my life like this and take control.I live in va and i'm gonna look for self-help therapy or group meetings.i checked out the recovery,inc.i don't know if i need to go to the regular doctor to get a recommendation for a pschyotherapist,don't know if i spelled i right.

what do you guys prefer:groups or just you and the professional?please let me know

i don't know if i'm ready to join a group yet,it is a big step even thinking about calling my doc and find out if i have depression,,,,,,
It depends on the individual but I think CBT groups are especially effective. I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. CBT is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you think you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Based on what I have seen with the people I know who used CBT the more dedicated you are to the tools the faster and deeper the recovery regardless of how bad their anxiety was when they got started. It was inspiring to see the people that dove in head first and how fast they started seeing results to those of us like me that were more skeptical and less dedicated to using the tools in the beginning. Like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of CBT. That's why I think group settings can be especially effective with CBT because you can see the people that are working the hardest to get well making the most progress and it becomes infectious.

Good luck!

Billy

Closed Thread