It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

Thanks2Jesus HB User
New here with questions

Hi everyone

I have been pouring over this board for quite a few days and realized it was about time to introduce myself and start with my ongoing questions

About 2 years ago I went on Paxil 20 mg a day for anxiety ( i guess that is what I have )and some ocd issues. I had (have) a major obsession with the house being "spotless" and with a house full of kids that is just not possible and if the house is just not "so "I get so nasty and seem to yell and bark at anyone in my path till the house is in order. I dont know really if that is considered anxiety or what ?? I am not nervous about things in the slightest or have ever had any type of panick so what is it that I am describing ?? I want things in order and if they are not I get extremely aggitated !! I guess that is how I would describe myself. During PMS I am just a total bear and I feel so bad for my husband and kids during those few days .

Ok so at first the paxil was awesome !! The longer I was on it the more and more less interested in life I became. I would want to sleep more and more and things just did not excite me like they once did. I felt like I was just going through the motions of life and I decided to wean off of it . I did it very slowly and it went fine and I seemed to be feeling better except for pms week then I was still a bear ! Then after a few months I started getting really irritated with the house not being in order and annoyed with the kids again so I decided to go back on it and this time it really has done nothing for me but made me more tired !! After 2 months I still feel like it never started working like it did the first time, IS that common ??

So I am now weaning off and it has been harder this time but I am determined to get off this pill because If not I will just spend my days in bed and that is just not an option ! I have a wonderful husband and beautiful children and I want to live life to the fullest !!

One blessing that came about from the Paxil though is that some of the OCD symptons I used to have ( checking locked doors,windows, making sure the oven was off about 25 times before bed ) never ever came back !! Can an antidepressant cure something in your brain and make it so it never comes back ??

SO now I am planning on talking with my family dr about what medicine would work better for me but I dont really know how to describe myself to him. The only OCD sympton i have now is the house being clean and getting really agitated with people when things dont go exacltly my way ! ( Maybe I am just a spoiled brat lol ) But I almost feel like something comes over me when I am in one of those cleaning and yelling moods )

I need a medication that makes me mellow out ! I want one that will help me loose weight because I am quite overweight and I want one that will help me get through my PMS week and I want my sexdrive back and I dont want to be tired anymore ! Is this too much ask ??

So from how I describe myself would you say I am depressed ? have anxiety problems ?? OCD ??

What drug do you feel would be the best for me ? My dr is very flexible and will work with me.

Thankyou to everyone who replies ! This board has helped me so much already

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: New here with questions

Paxil didn't make me lose interest in life, but Lexapro did, and adding Welbutrin to at helped a lot with that.

Yes, I think you are describing depression. Before I was diagnosed, I thought I just had a really, really bad temper. I didn't know that being angry can also be a symptom of depression. I didn't think I was "anxious," either, because it felt to me like I was just being "irritable."

"Words, words, words."
- Hamlet

Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User

Hey be careful don't let those psychiatrists mis label your emotions! But hey maybe you guys have a hormone imbalance or even more likely BIPOLAR. Or Narcissism. Check it out.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I do have a hormone imbalance, but that's been corrected. I distinclty don't have bipolar or a personality disorder.

I don't think Thanks2jesus's those symptoms go with Narcissism (which is a personality disorder, not a mood disorder, and not affected by medication) or Bipolar. Not unless there's something she isn't telling us. She didn't mention any marked "up" phases, and if she were bipolar, the antidepressants would have made her worse, not better.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-19-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I think wanting the house spotless is OCD and you should try another antidepressant med, there are many, sometimes several need to be tried to find 1 that works for you

houses are meant to be lived in and not just for display purposes

Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks2Jesus HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses
I was hoping I would get some more since it was viewed quite abit but oh well

I think I have a mild case of ocd and am also dealing with depression so I need something that will help both and Paxil is out of the question because it did not work the second time around and I gained 30 pounds on it !

God Bless

Closed Thread