It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

Thanks2Jesus HB User
Would like to hear what antidepressants worked for you ??

Could you tell me any success stories about what medicines worked for you and what symptoms you were trying to get rid of ??

Thanks

Old 04-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #2

antares_wish HB User
Re: Would like to hear what antidepressants worked for you ??

Antidepressants effectiveness and effects varies widely from person to person. Two people with the same problems trying the same medication may very well work for one of them and have absolutely no positive effect for the other. Unfortunately the only way to find one that works for you is to run the gambit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #3

zenarcher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares_wish
Antidepressants effectiveness and effects varies widely from person to person. Two people with the same problems trying the same medication may very well work for one of them and have absolutely no positive effect for the other. Unfortunately the only way to find one that works for you is to run the gambit.
Got that right. There was a medication I was prescribed once that affected me in a very bad way. Recently I talked to someone who felt the very same drug was a miracle cure for her. I've tried a few that, if they helped at all, were so ineffective as to be worthless to me.
Anyway to answer the question. Effexor XR worked best for me and yes I'm aware that some have had terrible experiences with it. Another that was effective for me was Prozac although it made me feel a little jittery.
My symptoms are pretty much the more common ones, apathy, sadness, inability to concentrate etc. I'm not sure what you're getting at but hope that helped.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

There ten classes of antidepressants. Here is a chart: [url]http://www.psych.uic.edu/education/courses/brain/Janicak/sld017.htm[/url]

Most "success stories" involve a combination of an SSRI and something else.

I'ved tried six medications:

Trazadone (Triazolopyridine)
Serzone (Triazolopyridine)
(One I don't remember)(?)
Paxil (SSRI)
Welbutrin (SSRI)
Lexapro (Aminoketone)

I have also used Xanax (Triazolobenzodiazepine) for anxiety.

Except for Welbutrin, they all helped my depression a lot. It has just been a question of finding the one with the least side-effects. Right now I'm on Lexapro and Welbutrin together. There aren't any side-effects to speak of, but the antidepressant affect seems to be wearing off. I'm seeing a psychiatrist about it tomorrow.

There are a lot of factors. Everyone's body chemistry is different, and there are different types of depression, and then there are your external circumstances.

In general:

If you have a lot of anxiety, SSRIs will probably be the best.
If you are lethargic and don't have anxiety, Welbutrin might be better.
If you have insomnia, Triazolopyridines works great.

Old 04-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Zoloft and Prozac have been lifesavers for me in taking away the suicidal ideation and inability to stop crying that occur during episodes of major depression. Paxil and Wellbutrin have also worked but cause insomnia.

I've had little to no success with the other classes of antidepressants.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks2Jesus
Could you tell me any success stories about what medicines worked for you and what symptoms you were trying to get rid of ??

Thanks
I was on just about every med and remeron worked best for me too but made me gain weight and have to sleep a ton too. I am happy to report that I am now off of all meds thanks to Cignitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is very effective and if you really want to get better and work at it, it also works remakably quickly. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge, so you may want to call the one in your area.

Billy

Old 04-21-2004, 12:09 AM   #7

Lyn77 HB User

Hi there!
I am currently taking Lexapro 10mg. I can't tell you how much it has helped and also with my anxiety! I was on Paxil then to Paxil CR. Didn't see a lot of changes. A lot of SSRI's are the same. I personally have stayed away from Zoloft for reasons that it made my sister very suicidal. My dr. told me that generally if someone in your family has problems with the medication, that it's probably a good idea if you stay away from it as well. Hope you have good luck.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Hi all,,
I have tried in the past,,Prozac,__made me jittery...& remeron__made me a zombie,,,lol
I was on Celexa for a year & a half,,it worked well,,,but Killed my sex drive. that is why I choose to stop it~~~
I now have a script for effexor,,& I hope that helps.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:30 AM   #9
(female)

quinnersmom HB User

I was on Zoloft for PPD and Intrusive thoughts that went a long with it.

After 8 monhts of that and gaining almost 30 pounds I switched to Lexapro. The weught gain slowed down.

I am happy to say I am off the meds since July and I have lost 22 of the 30 pounds I gained!!

Old 04-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks2Jesus HB User

Ok this was viewed 400 times and only like 7 people could reply with what has worked for them ??

Old 04-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #11

jayt243 HB User

I'm on Effexor for depression and social anxiety and it's really helped me. I know alot of people have problems with it, and I am a little worried about withdrawal when I do decide to come off it, but right now it's great

I tried Wellbutrin before and didn't like it.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #12

Keen17 HB User

I've been on Effexor for 6 weeks and loving it! I have been angry and irritable for years and recently found out it is due to depression. I had no idea I was depressed. I just figured I had anger issues or really bad PMS =p.

Anyway I don't have any side effects anymore. I did have stomach issues for the first two weeks and really odd dreams with some nightmares. I don't notice anything as far as side effects anymore.

I also tended to isolate myself from people and now I'm talking more. I notice that I'm not negative with myself and others. My fiancee doesn't "irritate" me anymore. I smile more. I really feel lucky that I found something that works.

Oh, I also tried Zoloft but I gained weight and felt very lethargic and more depressed.

Last edited by Keen17; 04-27-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:48 AM   #13

LadyVyxen81 HB User

Effexor XR (225 mg) and Zoloft (150 mg) have been life savers for me. I've tried Celexa, Prozac and Luvox with no success in the past. Zoloft helped reduce my depression and Effexor completely got rid of it PLUS helped with my panic attacks and anxiety. I still have some anxiety and panic attacks but it is nothing compared to what it once was. One thing though, they both took a while before I noticed ANY improvement (4 weeks).

Last edited by LadyVyxen81; 04-28-2004 at 06:48 AM.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #14

jayt243 HB User

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the good side effect of Effexor (for me anyway) ... the crazy dreams!! I haven't had any nightmares yet, but ever since I started it my dreams are much more vivid and weird. I love it

Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

I love Lexapro, but have terrible weight gain. My dr. added Wellbutrin, but so far no change in the weight.

Salty

Closed Thread