It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #1

monicanicole HB User
Post Depression Denial?

I am currently dating a guy who recently revealed he sees a therapist and takes Zoloft+Wellbrutrin. He claims its because he has anxiety about his job and workload. This has been going on for @ least four years, and the dr is currently weening him from meds.

The problem that I have is with him saying he's not depressed, but its only JOB STRESS.
He's nearing forty and not married/no kids, does not get out much, watches TV constantly, sleeps after work, stays up all night (watching TV), claims the meds do nothing for him, and he doesn't suffer from any side effects(insomnia is a side effect), and is a bit pessemistic. Not very happy about life.

Lately he's been working more days from home, @ least 2-3 days a week, which is putting him inside ALL the time.

I don't understand. If the JOB is causing so much stress, he doesn't like it, why continue to work there, for four + years?
I think he doesn't want to admit to depression.

Any advice from anyone? Aren't Zoloft, Wellbrutrin anti-depressants?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #2

Chuck65 HB User
Re: Depression Denial?

Don't underestimate what job stress can do to someone. It can be very bad. I'm currently going through a lot at work and it sucks the life out of me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #3

monicanicole HB User

Has it gone on for a long time? Do you have family to take care of?

I'm just trying to understand, and I don't want to make light of his situation. If its causing a need for anti-depressants, why not get out?
I've been depressed, I know its not easy, but I've learn to think and react differently when it comes to situations that threaten the way I feel about life.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicanicole
Has it gone on for a long time? Do you have family to take care of?

I'm just trying to understand, and I don't want to make light of his situation. If its causing a need for anti-depressants, why not get out?
I've been depressed, I know its not easy, but I've learn to think and react differently when it comes to situations that threaten the way I feel about life.
People like to blame their problems on things or others so the job may add to his problems but is more likely an easy scapegoat. Try and get him to get involved in CBT. CBT is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you think you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge.

Good luck!

Billy

Old 04-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #5

monicanicole HB User

Thanks, very helpful!

Old 04-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicanicole