It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

lory36 HB User
Unhappy please read and help me!!!!!!!

Hi there

i wonder if anyone ever has the feeling of panic that they are going to die when they suffer from depression. i get this all of the time i look for things that can be wrong with me when i visited the doc she told me that i needed to go on to antideppressants as this is a sign of depression however ifeel that it is more to do with an obsesion as my husband died of a heart attack at 35 yrs and i feel that i am going to die all the time. please someone answer as i have 2 smaill kids here that are suffereing just want to know if anyone else feels like me
doubt it tho

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
(female)

swtevnbrz HB User
Re: please read and help me!!!!!!!

Are you taking antidepressants now ? I think we all get a real feeling of our own mortality when someone close to us dies, and you can't get much closer than a husband. Maybe you should talk to your doctor more frankly, or ask for a referral to someone who can help you with coping . Blessings to you and your children, let us know how you get on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

solcita HB Usersolcita HB User

By losing someone really close and really loved by you, you do get conscious of the mortality, it's like an opening eyes call telling you: everybody dies... and you can die too.
In my case I did get episodes where I could feel the feeling of "I might die too" but in my case I was not afraid or anything, I just thought it was the easiest way out "if we're all gonna die, why not now and stop the pain?"... I guess that having small children may affect you in a different way than me that I don't have kids at all...

Hope it helps

SOL

Old 04-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #4

marich101 HB User

It would be good to let your Dr. go ahead and put you on antidepressants. Its a definite depression and you feel like you are not in control of your life. Have lost several people close to me but I think the control thing pretty much comes from the depression whatever the root of it is. Good luck and take care depression can turn your life inside out and with me at least it was a long slow........actually ongoing process. But it can be done

Old 04-22-2004, 12:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Yes, many of us feel that way, you need to seek professional help for yourself, so you can be there for your kids.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Yeah, an obsession with death is distinctly unhealthy, even if it has a rational cause. Just because a specific incident may have kicked off your depression doesn't mean it's not a real depression.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lory36
Hi there

i wonder if anyone ever has the feeling of panic that they are going to die when they suffer from depression. i get this all of the time i look for things that can be wrong with me when i visited the doc she told me that i needed to go on to antideppressants as this is a sign of depression however ifeel that it is more to do with an obsesion as my husband died of a heart attack at 35 yrs and i feel that i am going to die all the time. please someone answer as i have 2 smaill kids here that are suffereing just want to know if anyone else feels like me
doubt it tho
I think you will be shocked and somewhat relieved to find many of us here have gone through or are going through what you are. You may want to try an Antidepressant in the short tewrm but also look into CBT. I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. CBT is not like other talk therapy, it's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. In addition, many universities offer cbt programs for little or no charge.

Hang in there

Billy

Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #8

DrunkenFlipFlop HB User

You may be suffering from anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and I obsesss about myself and others dying. It is very painful, I know.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

lory36 HB User

thank you everyone for your reply it was very nice of you to take the time out to answer my questions the doctor has put me on anti depresants will let you know how i get on they are for obsessive disorders god i feel so helpless xx

Old 04-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Add me to your list, I have many of the same obsessive thoughts. I'm starting CBT, but am on a nerve med in the interim. My anti-depressant failed after 7 years & I have not found a new one that works.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
I think you will be shocked and somewhat relieved to find many of us here have gone through or are going through what you are. You may want to try an Antidepressant in the short tewrm but also look into CBT. I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. CBT is not like other talk therapy, it's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. In addition, many universities offer cbt programs for little or no charge.

Hang in there

Billy
Billy, my books came Saturday, I read saturday nite for about an hour & a half, but am too tired from yard work to read tonite. I need time to sit & read, not just a little here & there, but I am determined to try this.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #12
Inactive

isolated one HB User

It sounds more like it may be a case of general anxiety or OCD. Why is it so commonly assumed that the first option for any form of depression or anxiety is to be "put on meds"? Alternatives such as CBT or natural medicine are not being promoted to the public as prescription meds are for a very basic reason. It's hardly an accident that most people have the belief system which says "feel depressed -> go to the doctor -> be put on a med". Why is this? Just follow the $$$.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated one
It sounds more like it may be a case of general anxiety or OCD. Why is it so commonly assumed that the first option for any form of depression or anxiety is to be "put on meds"? Alternatives such as CBT or natural medicine are not being promoted to the public as prescription meds are for a very basic reason. It's hardly an accident that most people have the belief system which says "feel depressed -> go to the doctor -> be put on a med". Why is this? Just follow the $$$.
Hi Isolated one You hit the ball out of the park on this post I couldn't agree more.

Billy

Old 04-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #14

felix1028 HB User

I have had panic attacks for may years. There are times when I think my heart is going to burst and I just have to get to a safe place.

While I have not had to deal with the death of my present husband, I lost my former husband to cancer. It was a horrible ordeal and my panic attacks escalated during that time.

I take Ativan and Prozac, but still occaionally have attacks. I have found if I can get alone and tell myself that I can get through "whatever", I can usually make it home and start feeling better.

I have problems with agoraphobia and therefore spend a lot of time at home. I make myself go out and do things like going to restaurants or the local mall. It isn't easy and sometimes I fail. But I keep trying and hoping that someday I will be able to not have these attacks anymore.

Last edited by felix1028; 04-28-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1028
I have had panic attacks for may years. There are times when I think my heart is going to burst and I just have to get to a safe place.

While I have not had to deal with the death of my present husband, I lost my former husband to cancer. It was a horrible ordeal and my panic attacks escalated during that time.

I take Ativan and Prozac, but still occaionally have attacks. I have found if I can get alone and tell myself that I can get through "whatever", I can usually make it home and start feeling better.

I have problems with agoraphobia and therefore spend a lot of time at home. I make myself go out and do things like going to restaurants or the local mall. It isn't easy and sometimes I fail. But I keep trying and hoping that someday I will be able to not have these attacks anymore.

Welcome to the boards. Give CBT a try as it is very effective for panic and anxiety. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz if you're interested and many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge.

Good luck!

Billy

Closed Thread