It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 09:35 AM   #1

brendamccraw2 HB User
Is it Depression?

Can depression make you irritable all the time?I fuss at my kids and husband all the time.Little things make me real mad(messes,talking back,etc).I mean real mad.I scream at my kids for spilling something and then feel bad for doing it.I can't help myself.I am never happy and always in a bad mood.Help!

Old 04-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Inactive

mouse62 HB User
Re: Is it Depression?

Were you always like this or did it happen after having the kids?

I went on Xanax in 2001 as a result of being fed up 99% of the time from 1998, when I was pregnant with my second child. (Fed up: screaming, being so upset that I shook, occasionally smashing a plate, etc.) But I was not diagnosed as depressed, but as somewhat suffering from anxiety/panic due to being WAY too stressed out. I have been better even on a very low dose of Xanax (I'm down to .25 a day). But I would recommend getting a psychologist or clinical SW first before you worry about medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamccraw2
Can depression make you irritable all the time?I fuss at my kids and husband all the time.Little things make me real mad(messes,talking back,etc).I mean real mad.I scream at my kids for spilling something and then feel bad for doing it.I can't help myself.I am never happy and always in a bad mood.Help!
sounds to me like dpresion or anxiety how do you feel when your angry do you get tingling anywhere or does you're heart start racing almost like you become in like a fight mode for no reason that's usually anxiety hope this helps kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

My depression virtualy always shows up as anger. I remember flying into a total rage whenever my boyfriend was late for dinner, even though we were just eating in the student cafeteria and he always had a good reason.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Even though we who have depression or anxiety get very frustrated and angry and lash out at the ONES WE LOVE....we are still responsible for our actions.

I suggest you become introspective quickly, see your true feelings and accept that you need to learn how to deal with them.

You're also getting away with it at home, to the detriment of your children (who will remember it possibly forever) and to your husband (imaging being him).

The reason we get mad or take things out on others is because of how we perceive things. It relieves the stress greatly and very quickly, but doesn't let us off the hook, and it helps greatly that our husbands on occasion look the other way. I'm no saint, that's for sure (I decided to not have kids because I probably would have been the same).

Please seek ways to deal with your frustration and anger. There are clinics, psychologists, meds..etc.

I had an OK childhood, well provided for materially, but not emotionally. I remember my mom's anger and worse fueled by her alcoholism. She was hell to grow up under and it got progressively worse as I got older.

Another perspective.

Get well!

Best to you,
quincy

Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 AM   #6

brendamccraw2 HB User

Thanks for the replies.I went to the dr last October for it and he said it sounded like anxiety.I tried Lexapro for 2 months and I thought it wasn't working.My hair started falling out so I stopped it.After I stopped it I could tell that it was working.Then I went on Wellbutrin but only for a week because my hair was still falling out so I was afraid it was causing it.After a couple of months I knew I needed help so I went back to the dr and he gave me buspar.I tried that for 2 months and it did nothing for me.I started reading about depression and it sounds like that is what's wrong with me so I started back with the wellbutrin(had some left) last week and I can already tell a difference.I'm only on 1 a day right now because the bottle said to take 1 for a week and then 2 after that.I can tell when it wears off.I just hate getting up in the mornings and I'm never happy.I realized I should at least be happy some because I have 2 healthy kids and a wonderful husband.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #7

Tanki HB User

Irritability is a sign on depression, but it could be signs of other things like stress, anxiety ect. Actually GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and depression are very similar....

Are you expierencing any stress right now?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Have you had your thyroid checked out?

q

Closed Thread